• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shop with the Pros at Kabele's Trading Post - Nov 17!!!

Matt Johnson

Kabele’s Trading Post to host Shop With The Pros

By Steve Weisman

Outdoor Editor

There’s a lot to do in the outdoors as we head into the month of November: late open water fishing, waterfowl hunting, pheasant hunting and deer hunting…but for ice anglers, it’s waiting impatiently while waiting for that first safe ice.

To make that time pass more quickly, Kabele’s Trading Post in Spirit Lake is offering their own version of a northwest Iowa Ice Breaker Event on Saturday, November 17 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.!

Billed as a day to “Shop With The Pros,” owners Thane and Tanya Johnson are excited to offer this special ice fishing day for anybody interested in talking “shop!”

Thane says, “It’s really something we’ve wanted to do ever since we purchased Kabele’s Trading Post. Ice fishing is huge around here, and we want to kick off the season just like we do for the walleye opener in May!”

Tanya added, “I can hardly wait. We have seminars, demonstrations, give-aways and discounts on select fishing equipment.”

Along with all of the product displays, Tanya and Thane have put together a list of pros to offer ice fishing seminars throughout the day. Don’t be afraid that you will be “seminared to death.” There will be plenty of time in between sessions to browse, to ask questions of the presenters and to talk with other anglers.

Kevin Paul, a guide who fishes lakes across northern Iowa and is on Ice Team’s pro staff, is going to focus on mobility. “Mobility and a willingness to move, often makes the difference between keeping on fish and coming home with an empty bucket.” As a guide, Paul knows he must keep his clients on fish. “I’ll stay on the move until I find fish, but once the actions slows or the fish leave, we’re on the move again. It might only be 20 yards or 150 yards or to the other end of the bay.” Paul will share his game plan for mobility.

Rod Woten, who hales from Stuart, IA, is also an Ice Team Pro Staffer, will share insight into using a Vexilar flasher. Topics will include choosing the right transducer and how to use the “built in side finder”. Another topic will be how to determine bottom composition and use that to your advantage. Woten will also address interference issues and how to prevent them. Finally, Woten will address what is the “dead zone?”

As for me, I’ve been one of Clam’s pro staffers for years. The first portable shelters go back to the early years when Dave Genz began manufacturing Fish Traps in his garage in 1980. He merged his Fish Trap brand with Clam in 1992. I first met Dave when he brought the Trap Attacks to West Okoboji’s Emerson Bay. In discussions with Genz and fishing beside the ice fishing icon, he shared a lot about fishing clear waters with me. So, since my passion is triggering bluegills in the gin clear waters of West Okoboji, I’ll be talking about ways to get those finicky fish to bite. Be forewarned, however, that I do not consider myself an expert. When it comes to sight fishing gills on West Lake, I am always a work in progress! However, I’m more than willing to share the good-the bad-and the ugly, and what I have learned from others!

In addition to all of this, Kabele’s Trading Post will be brimming with ice fishing products, along with many instant rebates and free merchandise with purchases.

Plus grand prize drawings for an ice shack, guided fishing trips and lodging. The cost to attend? Just show up and be ready to talk ice fishing! Now that’s the way to kick off the 2012 ice fishing season.

For more information, call (712) 336-1512. Kabele’s Trading Post is located at 504 Hill Avenue in Spirit Lake.

Sponsors for the Shop With The Pros include Kabele’s Trading Post, Clam, Iowa Sportsman magazine and Paul’s Fishing Guide.