Jump to content
  • GUESTS

    If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

    This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

  • Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here


            TURKEY CONTEST "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"! Post please......

        HSO Turkey Contest - Sign-up by April 1st. - Click Here.

        EMOJI those posts you 'appreciate, please...IF YOU WANT MORE LIKE IT HERE..'

        Have Fun!!!

mnbuckhunter

Wheel house bathroom question - separate exterior door?

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, nofishfisherman said:

Looks like that front bunk won't be able to be a jack knife couch give that it will block the door when folded down.  After seeing the design I feel like its going to be cramped when you start adding more people to the house.  You may technically be able to sleep 5 but I don't think you'll want to.  

 

Yeah it will definitely be in the way.  The couch won't be the full 8' long so won't be tight up against the door if it was out as a bed but there'd be minimal space there.  I could probably try and find something more closer to 6' which would give more space around the door.  The trailer dimensions said 70" in front of wheel well so maybe I could turn it and figure something out that way but that'd be short beds then.  It would only be used as a bed once or twice a year I'd guess so I'm still kind of liking it.

 

The other side would have a 30" top bed and a 30" bottom bed that has a 30" 2x2 platfrom as well that would pull out and rest on braces on the wall to make a 60" bed but would only be out when sleeping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, rl_sd said:

Have you thought at all about chained bunks over the wheel wells?

 

I hadn't I guess, something worth considering.  Any experience with them?  Initially it seems kind of like an awkward place for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mnbuckhunter said:

 

I hadn't I guess, something worth considering.  Any experience with them?  Initially it seems kind of like an awkward place for them.

It isn't ideal, but they do provide sleeping room while keeping the floorplan open. I for one and not a big fan of having holes in the center of the shack... too much change for droping stuff. If you stuck w/ the standard 30" mattress, you could stack them on top  of the rear bunk and save a lot of room. I added a 3rd bunk in my 6.5' wide house and I store the mattress on the back bunk. I made the bunk out of 1" aluminum tubing and it works awesome.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question - I was up on LOTW the other weekend and saw a lot of wheel houses with portable pop-up houses sitting right by/behind them.  What do most people use those for when they're by their wheel houses?  Fishing out of them?  Storage?  Anyone out there do this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, mnbuckhunter said:

Question - I was up on LOTW the other weekend and saw a lot of wheel houses with portable pop-up houses sitting right by/behind them.  What do most people use those for when they're by their wheel houses?  Fishing out of them?  Storage?  Anyone out there do this?

 

A lot of them get used as the bathroom for the weekend.  You could easily do the same in your situation and get rid of the bathroom in the house all together.  There are of course draw backs.  The portable will be colder and probably not as nice of a set up overall for the job at hand which makes the late night trip even more unpleasant.  

 

There are also some benefits to going this route.  Its saves space in the house and maybe a little cheaper to build the house depending on what you do with the space you save.  If you're in a portable away from the house a little you also don't have to worry about someone from inside the house pounding on the wall yelling at you to "quiet down in there" while you're in the attached bathroom processing last nights chili.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nofishfisherman said:

 

A lot of them get used as the bathroom for the weekend.  You could easily do the same in your situation and get rid of the bathroom in the house all together.  There are of course draw backs.  The portable will be colder and probably not as nice of a set up overall for the job at hand which makes the late night trip even more unpleasant.  

 

There are also some benefits to going this route.  Its saves space in the house and maybe a little cheaper to build the house depending on what you do with the space you save.  If you're in a portable away from the house a little you also don't have to worry about someone from inside the house pounding on the wall yelling at you to "quiet down in there" while you're in the attached bathroom processing last nights chili.  

 

A bathroom was what we initially thought

 

You're chili scenario is exactly why I was thinking about an exterior door!  🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, mnbuckhunter said:

 

A bathroom was what we initially thought

 

You're chili scenario is exactly why I was thinking about an exterior door!  🤣

 

In that case a portable set up about 50 yards down wind of the house is probably the best option.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nofishfisherman said:

 

In that case a portable set up about 50 yards down wind of the house is probably the best option.  

 

ya can always go with no bean chili!!  but then that's no fun!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After seeing the 16 ft.  Y - Angler Edition layout - I'm leaning towards no exterior bathroom door and going with something more like this layout.  At least the bathroom would be the furthest away possible.  Maybe you could build in an exhaust fan?

 

 

 

WH_Door.png

WH_Top_View.png

WH_Top_View_2.png

WH_Top_View_3.png

WH_Top_View_4.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2020 at 3:00 PM, mnbuckhunter said:

After seeing the 16 ft.  Y - Angler Edition layout - I'm leaning towards no exterior bathroom door and going with something more like this layout.  At least the bathroom would be the furthest away possible.  Maybe you could build in an exhaust fan?

 

I like it..... but (as always) have a few question/comments:

 

  • It seems like you still have A LOT of sq ft dedicated to your bathroom area
  • Are you going to  run any sort of oven/stove top?
  • Seems like your wheelwells protrude in quite a bit... For layout purposes I would go 10" max
  • There are probably better places to get storage space without cutting into your bunk room. An 8' wide house is only going to have between 7'5"-7'9" depending on what you use for studs and wall covering.
  • Are you set on having a direct vent radiant heater? You would gain a lot of room (and have better heat in my experience) with a fan forced unit, but that's my opinion (I have experience with each).

The planning process is the fun/frustrating piece. It looks like you are using sketchup, which is what I used as well. I changed configurations 100 times, but in the end I am glad that I used CAD to "visualize" options. The only thing that I would have changed would have been to put in a rear booth instead of a bunk... which can still be changed. Here is the one that I did. PM me your email address if you would like the model. I know that we have to different size and shape shacks, but you might be able to reuse some of the components.

 

 

 

 

Top.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/3/2020 at 3:15 PM, rl_sd said:

 

I like it..... but (as always) have a few question/comments:

 

  • It seems like you still have A LOT of sq ft dedicated to your bathroom area
  • Are you going to  run any sort of oven/stove top?
  • Seems like your wheelwells protrude in quite a bit... For layout purposes I would go 10" max
  • There are probably better places to get storage space without cutting into your bunk room. An 8' wide house is only going to have between 7'5"-7'9" depending on what you use for studs and wall covering.
  • Are you set on having a direct vent radiant heater? You would gain a lot of room (and have better heat in my experience) with a fan forced unit, but that's my opinion (I have experience with each).

The planning process is the fun/frustrating piece. It looks like you are using sketchup, which is what I used as well. I changed configurations 100 times, but in the end I am glad that I used CAD to "visualize" options. The only thing that I would have changed would have been to put in a rear booth instead of a bunk... which can still be changed. Here is the one that I did. PM me your email address if you would like the model. I know that we have to different size and shape shacks, but you might be able to reuse some of the components.

 

 

 

 

Top.jpg

 

Thanks for your reply. Here are a few of my thoughts:

 

It seems like you still have A LOT of sq ft dedicated to your bathroom area

Are you going to  run any sort of oven/stove top?

-My thought was 1... I'm a bigger guy, and 2... it could also be used for storage. Augers etc. I was thinking just a stovetop either above or beside the wheel well next to the heater.

 

Seems like your wheelwells protrude in quite a bit... For layout purposes I would go 10" max

There are probably better places to get storage space without cutting into your bunk room. An 8' wide house is only going to have between 7'5"-7'9" depending on what you use for studs and wall covering.

-For the wheelwells I just went by what the trailer manufacturer said there was between them. They said 63" between the wheel wells. So I went with (96-63)/2=16.5" per side. 

For the back bunk I went with 80" bunks I think which is plenty long and then left space for some storage shelves. I added the extra storage on the side because my thought was I'd add a slide out platform on the bottom bunk that could sit on some side 2x2s which would double the width on the bottom if needed.

 

 

Are you set on having a direct vent radiant heater? You would gain a lot of room (and have better heat in my experience) with a fan forced unit, but that's my opinion (I have experience with each).

- Yeah I'm torn on this and go back and forth all the time on this one. I like the idea of having a power free option. Plus a blower could be added. My old house had a forced unit and the turning on and off during the night was a little annoying and would occasionally wake me. This is still up in the air for sure.

 

 

Yeah the 3D app is pretty cool and is really neat to help see it all visually. I'm not very good at it but enough to get an idea of what it would shape up to be. I'll shoot you my email address. Thanks!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2020 at 8:00 AM, Hawg said:

Side wall vent, putting any hole the roof of a fish house is a bad gamble. Heck, they haven’t even figured out skylights in real houses yet. Wanderer is right about a vent though, it’ll pay for itself in the Fabreeze you won’t need. 🤧

 

I like that idea. Anyone put one of these in before? What kind of fan system did you use?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Has anyone ever thought of a setup like this (shown) with a center bench?  I know it cuts into the center floor space some but it looks like it may open up some more fishing space.  2 guys could be back to back and fish the sides and a 3rd could also sit on the end and fish the center of the house.  It could be used as a bed then too.  Plus it separates those back holes.  Thoughts?

 

 

GS_WH TOP 1.png

GS_WH TOP 2.png

GS_WH TOP 3.png

Edited by mnbuckhunter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about making a moveable dinette? Make the two booth freestanding (and light) so that that can me moved wherever you want. 30" wide is prob all the wider that you would go. just a thought?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now ↓↓↓ or ask your question and then register. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

    • Congrats Wanderer.  Thanks for the participation award again!
    • Looked did then realized I don't believe his taste buds. He purposely was drinking Miller Lite. Yuk
    • I’d say it depends on how fast we want results and what the public will tolerate.  I do think a closure during their most vulnerable time is worth serious consideration.  We close the season for other fish for the same reason.  Now we’re realizing the never ending supply of quality panfish does really have an end.   It’s really going to be up to us to understand and accept the facts about how we affect the fisheries.  Getting this information out there and talking with each other is a big help.  I personally know several people who have changed their view on filling the live well or bucket with the most and biggest panfish they can to self imposed limits.  But I also know several people who are still proud as can be to bring home that pile of upper end fish, and worse yet making several repeat trips and bringing others with to do the same.  It’s hard to tell friends what their doing isn’t helpful.   One group of people can substantially fish down smaller lakes in 1-3 years and they’re fine with that.  On to the next lake.  I literally heard that just yesterday.  The limit was dropped on that particular lake to 5 this spring and that has curbed the number of trips they’ve been taking out there.  To me, it doesn’t get to be any clearer than that.   Minky, your practice sounds like what we need to get that 10% group of takers to adopt.
    • Wanderer, any ideas? Would the reduced limit and one over 9 or 10 inches be enough? Should there be a short season closure in the late winter / early spring?  Only catch and release in May and June. I love catching them, eating a few and releasing the rest.
    • here is a new idea to try:  
    • I would have to say that Wanderer is the biggest turkey so he gets my vote. 😀
    • I was out at a local lake last night and found the gills on beds with a few crappies mixed in.  I was learning the lake and planned on keeping moving and targeting bass but couldn’t resist pulling a few pannies in.  As always it was fun but I didn’t keep any and ran into several beds. They were topping out at a solid 8 inches on the board.   As I moved along I could see someone down the line, I thought maybe he was fishing bass also but he didn’t move until I got within about 75 yards.  When I got to the spot he was fishing there was another set of beds but I couldn’t see a fish on them.  Threw my bait in and didn’t get bit.     I’ve been that guy before but I’ve seen that scenario play out too many times to be OK with it anymore.  I know the panfish get hammered all winter and that’s probably putting the biggest hurt on the population but stripping the beds is something we really need to curb IMO.
    • Yes - absolutely thank you to Borch for running this again!   And thanks to everyone who entered!  Having the contest and getting some encouragement helped me get more back in tune to the spring turkey season than I have been lately.  And learn the lesson (again) to not under estimate what’s available and what can happen for anyone.
    • Yes- a cheap go pro knock off. 
    • Congrats Wanderer!  Thanks once again Borch for doing this. 
  • Topics

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.