Jump to content
  • GUESTS

    If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

    This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

  • Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here


            TURKEY CONTEST "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"! Post please......

        HSO Turkey Contest - Sign-up by April 1st. - Click Here.

        EMOJI those posts you 'appreciate, please...IF YOU WANT MORE LIKE IT HERE..'

        Have Fun!!!

mnbuckhunter

Wheel house bathroom question - separate exterior door?

Recommended Posts

Hi -

My mind is starting to think about building a wheel house this spring/summer.  I built one 10 years ago (6.5 x 10 V-front) but sold 5 years later as my kids just got too big for it.  I want another one so I'm thinking 8' wide for sure.  Probably 14 or 16 with a V-front.  I want to keep this one simple (and light, half ton truck) but also able to sleep 4-5 (I have 4 kids).  I'm just starting to think about the layout.

 

One thing I (and my kids) have found a little awkward is having to do your business right next to everyone fishing with most of these wheelhouse bathrooms built into the main area.  Plus, ya know....smells.  What do you all think about having 2 doors on the house?  One to the main area and then one just to the bathroom?

My thought was to place a full wall right behind the V-front.  That way you basically have a rectangular house.  This would allow me to put two nice bunk-style beds on both ends with a big open main area for fishing.  Then I would build a second door into the V-front and that would be the bathroom.  This would give a lot of privacy and keep everything in that area......

 

Has anyone seen anything like this?  Thoughts?

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to HSO @mnbuckhunter.

 

Can you keep us updated on your build, in this thread, with pics as you go along?

 

Hey folks, what do you think about mnbuckhunters bathroom challenge?

 

Any helpful ideas?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have seen some people do exactly what you are mentioning. The downside is that probably won't have it heated, but from what I have seen folks use them for storage (augers, etc.) when Not needed. On the flip side, if you were looking at using the entire V, you would be giving up about 16 sq ft of space. I would suggest bunks in the front to offset some of space lost.... Similar to the IC trophy hunter, but would modify the design so to use more of the V by squaring it off and getting rid of the front hole. Here is the IC Trophy hunter layout and a second one that I slightly modified.

 

 

 

 

image.thumb.png.3b51457e96df62a2f8bd47000f36fe6d.png

 

 

image.thumb.png.f582074237d7d9e463908e6d0755d55c.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rl_sd said:

I have seen some people do exactly what you are mentioning. The downside is that probably won't have it heated, but from what I have seen folks use them for storage (augers, etc.) when Not needed. On the flip side, if you were looking at using the entire V, you would be giving up about 16 sq ft of space. I would suggest bunks in the front to offset some of space lost.... Similar to the IC trophy hunter, but would modify the design so to use more of the V by squaring it off and getting rid of the front hole. Here is the IC Trophy hunter layout and a second one that I slightly modified.

 

 

 

 

image.thumb.png.3b51457e96df62a2f8bd47000f36fe6d.png

 

 

image.thumb.png.f582074237d7d9e463908e6d0755d55c.png

 

 

I saw that Trophy Hunter before and liked that idea a lot....and I like your modification a lot too. The only problem I've had with that look is I think those end up being 6' beds and being over 6' I've had a lot of problems trying to sleep in a 6' bed. Otherwise it'd work for sure. The other way I was thinking (original post) would allow for nice long beds. And maybe some kind of bottom double on both sides. I don't love the idea of loosing that much space in the V but maybe I could build the heater and storage into it somehow? The no heat would probably be ok. And maybe I could run a duct into it if I really wanted heat depending on where the heater end up.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@mnbuckhunter what are you using for your thunder bucket?  The smell thing is sometimes hard to avoid but can be minimized.  A powered roof vent fan used while a person is in there will help.  I’ve heard some people going the bag and bucket route put saw dust in the bag - cedar if you can get it helps a lot.  We just use a chemical toilet with the blue deodorizer in the water.  
 

All this said to get to my personal preference to have the throne accessible from inside in order to save those overnight trips outside for a quick shake n go when it’s 20 below and breezy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

@mnbuckhunter what are you using for your thunder bucket?  The smell thing is sometimes hard to avoid but can be minimized.  A powered roof vent fan used while a person is in there will help.  I’ve heard some people going the bag and bucket route put saw dust in the bag - cedar if you can get it helps a lot.  We just use a chemical toilet with the blue deodorizer in the water.  
 

All this said to get to my personal preference to have the throne accessible from inside in order to save those overnight trips outside for a quick shake n go when it’s 20 below and breezy.

 

Bucket and a bag mostly for me. I really don't like to empty the chemical toilets after use so I'll probably avoid that. We tend to just cut the top off a gallon jug and use that overnight but I don't think the Mrs. would love that the occasional time she'd come with so true, that's a plus on for the inside accessible toilet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive given some thought to how I'd build a future wheelhouse and this topic is something I've debated.  Ive used houses with bathrooms both ways and the added privacy of the outside entrance bathroom was nice and overall I think we all preferred that.  The big down side is any late night bathroom needs.  You'll have to know your audience on that one and determine how big of an issue it is.  

 

If you do go this route and opt for no heat make sure to put an extra hook on the wall on the heated portion for you to hang your toilet seat to keep it warm.  That will make the family love you a little more.

 

I do like the modified floor plan laid out above.  If the bunks are short that could be an issue.  I'm 6'4" so need a long bunk but how tall are the kids?  Could those bunks be dedicated kid bunks and you get the longer bunk?

 

The only thing in that modified plan you may want to look at is the hole placement in front of the front bunks.  Depending on the frame your working with you might want to move the hole over to the right a little to move it away from the bunks a little.  Right now its placed squarely in the middle of the only place to access the bunks.  If you plan to use rattle reels at night I could see someone jumping down from the top bunk and not having a good place to land without ending up in the hole. 

 

I'd for sure give some thought into squaring off the front V and putting 2 longer bunks up front.  Maybe plan for a jackknife sofa up front and a dinette in back.  If you go the route of squaring off the V put some thought into how you could best use that space you'd be losing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, mnbuckhunter said:

The only problem I've had with that look is I think those end up being 6' beds and being over 6' I've had a lot of problems trying to sleep in a 6' bed. Otherwise it'd work for sure.

 

I was thinking the  smaller beds for the kids. You would still have two beds in the back roughly 7’ long.  There are two issues that you are going to contend with on your design. #1. I’m afraid you are going to run out of room for your door unless you go 17’. #2. I’m not sure where you are going to put the holes unless you’re willing to only fish 6. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, nofishfisherman said:

Ive given some thought to how I'd build a future wheelhouse and this topic is something I've debated.  Ive used houses with bathrooms both ways and the added privacy of the outside entrance bathroom was nice and overall I think we all preferred that.  The big down side is any late night bathroom needs.  You'll have to know your audience on that one and determine how big of an issue it is.  

 

If you do go this route and opt for no heat make sure to put an extra hook on the wall on the heated portion for you to hang your toilet seat to keep it warm.  That will make the family love you a little more.

 

I do like the modified floor plan laid out above.  If the bunks are short that could be an issue.  I'm 6'4" so need a long bunk but how tall are the kids?  Could those bunks be dedicated kid bunks and you get the longer bunk?

 

The only thing in that modified plan you may want to look at is the hole placement in front of the front bunks.  Depending on the frame your working with you might want to move the hole over to the right a little to move it away from the bunks a little.  Right now its placed squarely in the middle of the only place to access the bunks.  If you plan to use rattle reels at night I could see someone jumping down from the top bunk and not having a good place to land without ending up in the hole. 

 

I'd for sure give some thought into squaring off the front V and putting 2 longer bunks up front.  Maybe plan for a jackknife sofa up front and a dinette in back.  If you go the route of squaring off the V put some thought into how you could best use that space you'd be losing.  

 

Yeah the privacy of the outside bathroom is the biggest benefit to me for sure. My kids are all teens and around 5'10"-6' but I suppose the V bunks of the IC trophy design could work for a couple of them.

I do have 4 kids so with the Mrs there are 6 of us. It's rare we'd all be in it but if we were I like your jackknife sofa idea on the front end in case we needed the extra room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rl_sd said:

 

I was thinking the  smaller beds for the kids. You would still have two beds in the back roughly 7’ long.  There are two issues that you are going to contend with on your design. #1. I’m afraid you are going to run out of room for your door unless you go 17’. #2. I’m not sure where you are going to put the holes unless you’re willing to only fish 6. 

 

Yeah the door I'd have to look at. The 16' trailer I was looking at has 70" in front of the wheel well. So a 30" bunk would leave 40 inches for a door and any studs. That should work. Holes though....hmm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t place the holes too close to anything you might sit on to do some jigging.  Too short of distance to manage a rod is worse than too long.

 

You might sleep up to 6 full grown adults in your house?  That’s a lot.  I think you’ll be snug with 4 in a 16 foot frame for an overnight stay.  Once boots, coats, food and gear are brought in, space goes away fast.  Just my opinion though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

Don’t place the holes too close to anything you might sit on to do some jigging.  Too short of distance to manage a rod is worse than too long.

 

You might sleep up to 6 full grown adults in your house?  That’s a lot.  I think you’ll be snug with 4 in a 16 foot frame for an overnight stay.  Once boots, coats, food and gear are brought in, space goes away fast.  Just my opinion though.  

 

Yeah, you're not wrong Wanderer. Maybe I'm trying to expect more from it than I should. The majority of the time it'd be three. Maybe if I can make it really nice for 3-4 but just make it possible to sleep more if needed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, papadarv said:

You could also go with the "Dry Flush" toilet, keep the door inside, refill cartridge cost $1 per flush. Rechargeable battery 300 flushes per charge.

https://www.rhinoadventuregear.com/products/dry-flush-laveo-dry-flush-toilet

 

 

That thing is awesome. Maybe someday!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am generally thinking I want an 8x16 with V front. What are people's thoughts on going up to an 8x18' w/V front with a single axle? I saw I can get a single axle this long but I seem to feel like that seems really long for a single axle. Does that seem too big for single axle to anyone else? Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mnbuckhunter said:

I am generally thinking I want an 8x16 with V front. What are people's thoughts on going up to an 8x18' w/V front with a single axle? I saw I can get a single axle this long but I seem to feel like that seems really long for a single axle. Does that seem too big for single axle to anyone else? Thoughts?


Mine is an 8x18 plus V for a total of 8x21, and toy hauler model.  It’s a single axle.  I’d agree one shouldn’t go bigger than that for a single axle even if you can.  I had to change my tires to 10 ply Load Range E to handle it all properly.

 

Towing hasn’t been an issue at all.  I’ve towed mine from central MN to central ND a couple times and it rides just fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mnbuckhunter said:


Because of the weight or it wouldn’t pull well?

  you have to relay watch the weight distribution. Mine has a lot of tongue wight. My truck is newer and handles it fine but my sons 02 gets push around by it. I believe it is the biggest single ax fish house ice castle makes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like that front bunk won't be able to be a jack knife couch give that it will block the door when folded down.  After seeing the design I feel like its going to be cramped when you start adding more people to the house.  You may technically be able to sleep 5 but I don't think you'll want to.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, rl_sd said:

What dimensions did you make your wheel wells?

 

Width was 60" long per the trailer dimensions.  It says there's 63" between the wheel wells so I just went with 16.5" deep per side.  Height, I just guessed on for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now ↓↓↓ or ask your question and then register. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.