• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Suggestions for Portable House Skis

BobT

Question

I recently purchased an old Clam 6800 portable fish house. One of the downsides of this series is that they were not really designed to be pulled in deep snow. The shape is too boxy so it will plow snow as it is pulled. I would like to add some kind of skis to the bottom. Anyone have any suggestions where I could find something? Thanks.

14 answers to this question

14 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

Pick up some old water skis from a pawn shop or an online sale site.  Water skis will give more lift than down hill skis.

Building a smitty sled with the skis would probably be even better.

I have a smitty sled with snow skis but I have never heard of someone using water skis. I know you will see it debated with downhill snow skis vs xc snow skis but never seen anyone try water skis? I wonder how well they would work?

I'd agree for something like a 6800 some sort of sled you can place the house on is probably better than attaching directly to the house itself.  I had an old flip over with skis attached to the sled and that worked well but very different design than the 6800.  The down side of the sled is that its more stuff to drag out to the lake and more weight but a little creativity can make it work and might make for an overall better set up for all your gear. 

26 minutes ago, rundrave said:

I have a smitty sled with snow skis but I have never heard of someone using water skis. I know you will see it debated with downhill snow skis vs xc snow skis but never seen anyone try water skis? I wonder how well they would work?

I had one built with water skis and it did very well.  Light, all wood skis.

Keep you cross bracing as high as you can also.  Low cross bracing can plow snow too.

21 hours ago, BobT said:

This morning I found a solution. I had an old pair of cross country skis that I haven't used in 25 years. I got some 1" PVC pipe and made a frame and fastened it to the skis similar to the Smitty Sled design.  Slipbobbin's design from that thread link you posted Big Dave2 gave me the idea. Took about 1-1/2 hours to make it.  Very light weight. Tried it out this afternoon and it worked great. 

Got pics?

35 minutes ago, BobT said:

Here you go. I used 1" PVC pipe and spaced it so the sled is about 7" up. I would guess the sled weighs no more than maybe 15 pounds and I might be exaggerating a little.

Looks awesome. You could even extend the 4 corner pipes up and include a second deck for all your gear.