• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice report, Brainerd area?

leech~~

20 minutes ago, Hawg said:

Gull is in pretty good shape, didn’t get the first snow. Pelican spotty, it froze early. Lots of slush but Hardening up. That’s from a friend on the lake. 

Thanks. I got a relative over on Roy lake and they said there was a pretty good dbl layer of hard snow, slush pocket then ice.  Scary stuff to ride the sled on when you break through and think your going down! ?

Whatever you do, don’t just drive across the lake without knowing your safe. Ask the resorts. The lake is getting pretty safe now but I wouldn’t do it and I’ve done some pretty risky ice driving in the past. That slush layer, which is scattered around and not everywhere, is scary when you hit it. 

Edited by Hawg

23 minutes ago, Hawg said:

Whatever you do, don’t just drive across the lake without knowing your safe. Ask the resorts. The lake is getting pretty safe now but I wouldn’t do it and I’ve done some pretty risky ice driving in the past. That slush layer, which is scattered around and not everywhere, is scary when you hit it. 

Breezy point, do you think anyone actually comes out of the bar to go out on the lake?  ?

Never go thru the channel  right in front of the bar, it never freezes solid. Going around the island is fine most years but not sure this year. That’s pretty protected and may have a ton of snow. Call Breezy, they will tell you. 

59 minutes ago, Hawg said:

Never go thru the channel  right in front of the bar, it never freezes solid. Going around the island is fine most years but not sure this year. That’s pretty protected and may have a ton of snow. Call Breezy, they will tell you. 

Thanks, I've fished it for years. Always cut across the island on the way out of Breezy bay.  Just wondering if anyone had been out this year so far and if the slush is harden up yet or if the normal pressure ridge going out from Goosyberry is there yet? 

10 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Thanks, I've fished it for years. Always cut across the island on the way out of Breezy bay.  Just wondering if anyone had been out this year so far and if the slush is harden up yet or if the normal pressure ridge going out from Goosyberry is there yet? 

Same here leech I always cut across the land ridge. Never gone up around the island ( only for fun riding the sled). 

1 hour ago, Jmnhunter said:

theres still fish in Pelican? Ever since I've moved here the locals say it used to be a great lake now its hit or miss...or maybe thats what they want us to know...

Oh Ta! Big and small ones went back. ?

image.png.6455f2cfa2fa83271abe1da893d78ee1.png

Edited by leech~~

You ain't got that picture wore out yet????

Well I drove up to rapids via brainerd this morning. If the lakes up 371 are anything like up hwy 6 UFFDA! THE AMOUNT OF houses that are out is the least I've ever seen in 40 plus years of driving that route.

1 hour ago, Hawg said:

Just think about how many fish will be extra hungry this spring. Better get the gang next door up for a reunion. We could have a beginners phone seminar too. 

and someone to write it down?????????????????? new technology is NOT always a good thing. i had my old phone down pat!!!!!!!

Just was informed the crow wing county sheriff just announced the extravaganza is a go for next weekend. Found 15.5” of ice at center ice. Cutting it pretty close imo close to 5” of that is poor ice or froze slush. Other years when there’s close to 20” the center ice area would start to pool with water by the afternoon. Unless your participating in the event I’d recommend to stay clear of the area or Brainerd area all together unless you enjoy heavy traffic and delays. 

Edited by AlwaysFishing23

39 minutes ago, AlwaysFishing23 said:

Just was informed the crow wing county sheriff just announced the extravaganza is a go for next weekend. Found 15.5” of ice at center ice. Cutting it pretty close imo close to 5” of that is poor ice or froze slush. Other years when there’s close to 20” the center ice area would start to pool with water by the afternoon. Unless your participating in the event I’d recommend to stay clear of the area or Brainerd area all together unless you enjoy heavy traffic and delays. 

Or by pass it on hwy 3.  ?