• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rum river sucker run

Decanno1

Hey guys! First post on here so I apologize if I am not following rules. 

I really want to get into sucker fishing this spring and I know that rivers are the best spot for any sucker. Now I work at the Sportsman’s Warehouse in coon rapids, right by the rum river dam. After talking with a few people about sucker fishing over there I started to hear that the dam gets absolutely thick with suckers during the run. Is there any truth to this? Where along the river should I fish? Is the rum even a good place to target them? 

thanks in advance! 

I haven’t fished the Anoka dam in years but it was pretty good at times.  I don’t know how access is on the east side but that’s where I normally fished.  Always saw people in the rocks on the west side but it always seemed shallower and rocky over there - not ideal sucker habitat.

You could try the west side where the Rum dumps into the ‘Sippi or go down further to Mississippi Point Park and fish below the overflow from Hayden Lake.  It was The Mill Pond when I was growing up.  

Welcome by the way!

Edited by Wanderer

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators
9 hours ago, Decanno1 said:

Hey guys! First post on here so I apologize if I am not following rules. 

I really want to get into sucker fishing this spring and I know that rivers are the best spot for any sucker. Now I work at the Sportsman’s Warehouse in coon rapids, right by the rum river dam. After talking with a few people about sucker fishing over there I started to hear that the dam gets absolutely thick with suckers during the run. Is there any truth to this? Where along the river should I fish? Is the rum even a good place to target them? 

thanks in advance! 

Welcome to HSO

9 hours ago, Wanderer said:

I haven’t fished the Anoka dam in years but it was pretty good at times.  I don’t know how access is on the east side but that’s where I normally fished.  Always saw people in the rocks on the west side but it always seemed shallower and rocky over there - not ideal sucker habitat.

You could try the west side where the Rum dumps into the ‘Sippi or go down further to Mississippi Point Park and fish below the overflow from Hayden Lake.  It was The Mill Pond when I was growing up.  

Welcome by the way!

I’ll have to keep those spots in mind. Mainly trying for them this year to have some fun and maybe use them for cats. If you have any more information please do share!!! 

Thank you!

On 3/7/2020 at 5:43 PM, minky said:

Decanno if you ever want to hit the Snake river, let me know. Good luck and smoke a few of those suckers, really good!

I would definitely love to! But probably won’t be able to with this quarantine mess going on...