• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

HSO get together Big Stone Lake Saturday February 29th

rundrave

HSO get together Big Stone lake near Lake Ortonville, MN  

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have had a few people reach out to me wanting to meet up on the ice. So thought I would see what kind of interest we can generate getting some members on here together.  Maybe I will even make a post on FM. Nothing too serious just meeting up on the ice for a casual day fishing.

I picked Big Stone as its a border water so it works for SD and MN residents. Right now it also has a good class of fish for multiple species (Perch, Walleye, Blue Gills, etc)

Before I get into too many details thought I would throw out a poll and see what I get for responses and feedback. Let me know your thoughts, would be fun to make this happen. Its been a long time since we have had a get together on HSO.

I have 9yr old boy girl twins, they may come or not. Might depend if we get some other kids there?

Lets make this happen!

Map: Big Stone Map access

16 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

What is the mode of trans on the lake do you think depending on the ice then.  Drive on, Sled on, Walk on?   A Maybe.  

Hard to say, I would hope vehicle traffic would be ok. But your guess is as good as mine. If we get any big storms or nasty wind could change things in a hurry. 

The good news its a long narrow lake so can cover some ground via road if needed to get to another area of the lake. Southern side would be ideal as its close to Ortonville but you need to get a mile North to get to some good basin depths. We will see what happens but could just fish the flats and weeds and see what happens.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators
1 hour ago, rundrave said:

hey @Rick can you make this thread a sticky? Is it possible to cross share to FM? I did make another thread over there but not sure if you could link them in any way?

I will feature it and add it to promotions.

Definitely a yes if weather Permits. Thanks Rundrave for setting this up be fun to share the ice and put some faces with names.  Plus side is  from your posts over here I know your a avid pheasant hunter and dog lover  like myself so if the fish aren't biteing we can swap hunting stories ?

18 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Just a reminder.  Get a new fishing license on the way. I think they expire Feb 28th!  ?

....unless you are from SD ?. I do quite a bit of fishing in that area and it sounds like things are starting to straighten up. Like most places, the freak snow storm really screwed things up in December. It sounds like once the slush pockets solidify that the lake will be in pretty good shape. There were some people driving on it before xmas, so this upcoming cold spell  should definitely help.

Edited by rl_sd

23 hours ago, rundrave said:

Hard to say, I would hope vehicle traffic would be ok. But your guess is as good as mine. If we get any big storms or nasty wind could change things in a hurry. 

The good news its a long narrow lake so can cover some ground via road if needed to get to another area of the lake. Southern side would be ideal as its close to Ortonville but you need to get a mile North to get to some good basin depths. We will see what happens but could just fish the flats and weeds and see what happens.

Best bluegill bite is in the southern 1/3 of the lake.  I know I will he interested if The date works out for me.  Some of the thickest and tallest gills I've caught in recent years have come from Big Stone. 

50 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Someone in the know needs to throw a dart and pick an HQ spot to meet up at?  I've never been out there, but have always wanted to give it a go. 

Highway 68 / Ben Heins  Public Landing?

https://www.google.com/maps/dir//45.3553465,-96.4747352/@45.3545964,-96.4768098,810m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e0

Or were you thinking of a spot on the lake?

45 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Someone in the know needs to throw a dart and pick an HQ spot to meet up at?  I've never been out there, but have always wanted to give it a go. 

I will try to provide some more specific details as it gets closer. I just wanted to see if this would even draw any interest and it appears so.  But wind and snow could really affect access etc. so I don't want to put any pins out too early. Lets just hope the weather cooperates. A super cold snap looks like its on the way, just need to keep the snow away now.

bumping this to the top.

Made some good ice up that way after this cold spell and the snow last weekend wasnt too bad on Big Stone.  Now just have to keep the  big snow storms away for a few weeks. You can check Artie's Bait and Tackle Ortonville on facebook for other updates and how to access. Some  other pay options out there also.

I will try to keep this thread updated as we get closer and try to form a plan on where to meet up.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

@rundrave, go ahead and add this event to the calendar. Once you do, I will do my best to make it more visible.

It's located in the Browse portion of the menu.

I know it was warm and sunny up there this weekend no idea how the fishing was I haven't checked. Hopefully some traffic helped get access onto and around the lake looking better.

This cool down should firm everything back up. Some light snow in the forecast for this weekend and middle of next week up that way. Nothing significant so far being predicted so lets hope it stays that way.

Low of -9 for Ortonville forecast tomorrow night.

2-3" of snow forecast on Saturday.

Then the temps dipping back well below zero again late next week and no more snow that I see in the 10day.

Maybe we can get "do we need to add an extensions to our augers?" trending on HSO again?