• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2020 gardens

smurfy

Saved some of the plants that went to school families, a distant learning project, and community members......and am trying to grow a container garden. Getting the right soil mix and pot size has been ongoing learning process. Keeping up with watering sucks and might have to chalk this one up to never do again.

IMG_20200606_124835681.jpg

9 hours ago, snagfinder said:

I thought when they rot at that size its cause they weren't properly pollinated.

I thought maybe like tomatoes it was inconsistent watering??? I've reduced that by putting a tablespoon of Epson salt around the stalk at ground level ever third to forth watering.

Pretty quiet here lately. Garden is doing good considering the heat. Going to need to pick some dill today. Cukes have lots of flowers and showing good signs of tomatoes too. Time to start adding Epson salt to the mater's.

54 minutes ago, pushbutton said:

What does that do?

Been doing this for 15 years of better. It adds extra nutrients to the plant and tomato itself. I've been told it's basically the same as miracle grow. I usually start putting it down at ground level by the stalk every 3-4 watering. I also believe it helps avoid the stem rot the tomatoes get now and then.

Most everything did great for me this year except my onions didn't get very big. Peppers growing absolutely crazy. Cukes  , zucchini , tomatoes all good. Sweetcorn ok think it had to many dry spells when it was smoking hot out. Started even curling up a few times. Pumpkins turning orange already for some reason. Probably irrelevant cause deer found them and the spaghetti squash patch. Learned yesterday that I don't like making and canning spaghetti sauce in the garage when its 90 and stupid humid out.