• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2020 gardens

smurfy

So the new garden is getting cut in next week but today I'm fertilizing the yard ( turf builder and gypsum pellets) might be a dumb question but should I fertilize that area thats getting tilled up next week or use something else before planting? Looking like a while before anything gets planted anyway..

1 hour ago, bobberineyes said:

So the new garden is getting cut in next week but today I'm fertilizing the yard ( turf builder and gypsum pellets) might be a dumb question but should I fertilize that area thats getting tilled up next week or use something else before planting? Looking like a while before anything gets planted anyway..

I can't honestly answer that regarding turf builder and sat other stuff. I typically use 10-10-10 or milorganite.

As an experiment I planted peas, beets and carrots on the 1st, covered them with the temporary greenhouses and as of yesterday sprouts were beginning to come up. I have never planted this early, but I didn't have the greenhouses till I made them last season. When the sun shines it is warm in there. The forecast looks to have sun but cold. I have my fingers crossed, at worst I put more seeds in the ground. 

Without this setup Smurfy is right, too cold.

20200412_084840.jpg

Well I went out to check under the little greenhouses today expecting to be replanting after the snow and following cold this week with lows in the teens and 30 degree highs and cloudy. Last Saturday I had a dozen or better up and now almost a third of all of the seeds are up. During record cold, wow. They are going to love the upcoming weather.

3 hours ago, Grainbelt said:

Good news Smurf, I got an email from Fleet farm stating the garden centers are opening today.

my wife went into st cloud yesterday, she said the waite park one didn't look like it was doing much...…….hoe they pick up the pace. with as chilly as its been I haven't been in much of a hurry yet. I need to line up my tiller guy soon though!!!

Nice setup, the containers pictured should work. I got this email from Mother earth news on the 18th.

Your Personalized Planting Reminders

Here are the planting reminders for your location
for the next two weeks:

Sow under cover or indoors:

Broccoli

Cabbage (Summer)

Peas

Pepper

Tomato (Large)

Sow outdoors or plant out:

Apple (Dwarf)

Asparagus

Blackberry

Blueberry

Broccoli

Cabbage (Summer)

Carrot

Kale

Lettuce (Leaf)

Onion

Peas

Potatoes (Maincrop)

Radish

Raspberry

Rhubarb

Spinach

Strawberry

Turnip

Got my garden tilled while I was up north over the weekend. My cool plants will go in soon. Radishes, onions, dill ,kalarabi, lettuce and spinach. The tomatoes, peppers  green beans and cukes will wait.

nice!!!!!!!? started planting mine Thursday, I have dill, onions, kalarabi, lettuce, spinach, and radishes in the ground as of yesterday.

I also put cabbage and celery in. along with my jalepeno peppers. thought about putting in my green peppers and tomatoes today until I looked at the 10 day forecasts, a few nites of 33 for lows so I put the binders on that till next weekend. its a pain in the arse to cover and uncover all that stuff. 

2 hours ago, smurfy said:

a few nites of 33 for lows

Thanks for the weather heads up. I was going to put in my peppers and tomatoes today and put up the greenhouses but those temps are just too cold for those heat lovin plants. They are growing strong under the led's so I am going to leave them be. Still going to put in the next planting of  kale and carrots today before the rain tomorrow.

The forecast keeps getting colder every time I look. Now they are saying mid to upper 20's in areas around the metro. Hope that don't kill the apple and pear tree flowers. Do ya think strawberries need to covered since they are flowering?