Jump to content
  • GUESTS

    If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

    This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

  • Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here


            TURKEY CONTEST "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"! Post please......

        HSO Turkey Contest - Sign-up by April 1st. - Click Here.

        EMOJI those posts you 'appreciate, please...IF YOU WANT MORE LIKE IT HERE..'

        Have Fun!!!

smurfy

2020 gardens

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, snagfinder said:

I think the dozen or so  Busch Lights got me thinking differently.

got to love HH!!!!  me thinks I will get into the beer tonight again too!!!  bring on HH!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, snagfinder said:

but whats HH

Happy Hour is my guess? 🍺

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, rundrave said:

Happy Hour is my guess? 🍺

happy hour it is!!!!!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

and Mike's happy hours last longer than an hour!!!!!!!!!!!!!🤣🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smurfy said:

and Mike's happy hours last longer than an hour!!!!!!!!!!!!!🤣🤣

sooo what is your point????????????????  🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re tilled the garden on sunday again. When I was finished the beer started talking to me again so I cut down the fence cause the garden just looked to small. Added about 120 sq feet don't seem like much but that sucked removing that sod with a shovel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, snagfinder said:

Re tilled the garden on sunday again. When I was finished the beer started talking to me again so I cut down the fence cause the garden just looked to small. Added about 120 sq feet don't seem like much but that sucked removing that sod with a shovel.

 

Sounds like the beer is trying to keep you in tip top shape. 😉 

 

My wife and I planted peas, beets and carrots on April1st. We put up a couple hoop greenhouses over the two boxes we planted. Nothing is up yet but maybe in the next week. Seedlings inside are up and running.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Doing a WU TU FLU victory garden this year by hooking up 30  or

 so families with lots of veggies as well as a distant learning project. As usual, too many plants and not enough space. Having fun though, and used seeds that were up to nine years old.

IMG_20200408_170344096.jpg

Edited by pushbutton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, pushbutton said:

Doing a WU TU FLU victory garden this year by hooking up 30  or

 so families with lots of veggies as well as a distant learning project. As usual, too many plants and not enough space. Having fun though, and used seeds that were up to nine years old.

IMG_20200408_170344096.jpg

Holy dump. 🤣 if garden centers don't open up I may need to look you up 😅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/8/2020 at 5:44 PM, pushbutton said:

Doing a WU TU FLU victory garden this year by hooking up 30  or

 so families with lots of veggies as well as a distant learning project. As usual, too many plants and not enough space. Having fun though, and used seeds that were up to nine years old.

That is a nice setup. Were you storing your seeds in the freezer to get nine years? I have stored seeds for 7 years in vacuum sealed bags in the freezer with a high germination rate. The things you find when cleaning out the garage freezer.

Edited by Grainbelt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Grainbelt said:

That is a nice setup. Were you storing your seeds in the freezer to get nine years? I have stored seeds for 7 years in vacuum sealed bags in the freezer with a high germination rate. The things you find when cleaning out the garage freezer.

 

Your broccoli looks great to me, mine got pretty leggy. 

 

I inherited the seeds in a school classroom that were just sitting in not very tight sealed plastic bins; since this is pretty much on my dime and time, figured why not give it a shot, and just started seeing which one were viable by germinating them in moist paper towels inside plastic sandwich bag. Most of the seeds were 5 years old, but just hit a home run with some Beefstakes and Cherries that were 9.  Tomatoes, peppers, eggplant  held up really well,  had decent success with broccoli , cabbage, kale, but no luck with chard, spinach, cilantro.  Have yet to try the squashes, cucs, beans, or herbs.

 

Have usually just bought seeds each year, but no doubt a vaccum seal in the freezer would be the way go. 

 

Oh, and one time I did find some 15 year old plant material in a bag in the bottom of the freezer😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, pushbutton said:

Your broccoli looks great to me, mine got pretty leggy. 

Mine were very leggy til I switched lights. Had actual grow lights and switched to a pair a 5000 lumen led shop lights from Walmart. $20 each. Absolutely fixed the problem. I just moved them up yesterday to let them grow up a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, snagfinder said:

My ghost peppers are starting to come along nicely

 

Do you make hot sauce or dehydrate and grind for a shaker with those? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never grew them before. I like to make jalapeno jelly and its never hot enough so thats where my train of thought brought me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pushbutton said:

Oh, and one time I did find some 15 year old plant material in a bag in the bottom of the freezer😄

 

Found a ziplock rolled up and in a mason jar in the woods while shed hunting a week or so ago.

Couldn't get a clear picture of what was in the bag, but there wasn't much and the lid was rusted on tight.

Shoved it under a log that I probably couldn't find again. Almost as exciting as finding woods porn.  LOL

 

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 6:27 PM, smurfy said:

Holy dump. 🤣 if garden centers don't open up I may need to look you up 😅

 

Looks like you and I are in luck, garden centers will be open. *whew*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Duffman said:

 

Found a ziplock rolled up and in a mason jar in the woods while shed hunting a week or so ago.

Couldn't get a clear picture of what was in the bag, but there wasn't much and the lid was rusted on tight.

Shoved it under a log that I probably couldn't find again. Almost as exciting as finding woods porn.  LOL

 

 

Looks like you and I are in luck, garden centers will be open. *whew*

Yep. Im breathing easier  probably gonna be done restrictions on how many people are going to be allowed at one time though 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, snagfinder said:

Mine were very leggy til I switched lights. Had actual grow lights and switched to a pair a 5000 lumen led shop lights from Walmart. $20 each. Absolutely fixed the problem. I just moved them up yesterday to let them grow up a bit.

 

You are sure right about lights/bulbs. Right now  am scraping together whatever fixtures I can find. I do have one that is some type of gas bulb that has a separate plug in ballast that is about 8x12x16in......the thing is freaking bright and stops them instantly from stretching out.

 

Your pepper jelly will have enough kick this year. Might want to let your buddies taste test it for you when you are making it. Although I had a super protected concrete radiating spot....those things grew super late into the season and ripened well. You could almost say they had good flavor....until the burn kicked in. Have fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wish I would have got these lights years ago. Ive been struggling with leggy stuff as long as ive tried doing this. Wasted a lot more money on the ones that didn't work. The new ones are 5 feet long put two parallel with each other can fit quite a bit under them. Im hoping when my other stuff I planted yesterday needs to go under it will be nice enough to set current stuff outside at least during the day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now ↓↓↓ or ask your question and then register. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.