• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

3lb prime rib roast

ozzie

So was at the butcher shop and they had this prime rib roast I stared at for a half hour before I had my opportunity to make a purchase and decided I was going to give smoking a prime rib roast a shot.  I know it is not the biggest roast but for $40 it was all I wanted to spend to experiment with.  What are some recommendations on temp and time?  preferred wood?  I look for a medium rare finish.  Any tips or suggestions? 

I have mesquite, and other hardwoods..   a blend is good too..   start low and slow and then bring up the temp after a good smoke.. keep a temp probe in it all the way I'd say..  225 would be the highest you need I think too..  250 max   enjoy!!! 

You could try this if you like.

Maybe sear over coals with wood chunks added then into foil pan with onion soup mix mixed with beef broth. Add butter or bacon grease if you are up for it. Cover with foil tight,  cook till center is 125 to 130. Slice the meat and put it back in pan juice.  

Thanks for all your help and information...I went with a 35-40 minute per lb smoke at 225 using cherry wood.  once it hit 130 I pulled it and put into foil.  For some reason the temp started to go the wrong direction after 20 minutes or so, so I cranked up the grill to 500 and put the roast on the grill rotating side to sear and raise the temp up to 135.  after that I pulled it off the grill and put on the cutting board for 10 minutes as we waited for the taters to be done.  Turned out pretty good with a nice cherry smoke flavor and a perfect med-rare finish!  All in all turned out well and tasted great.  not bad for a first time smoke of prime rib.  Next up is ribs for xmas eve and a 7lb butt for xmas!   Merry Christmas to all you smokers (grill) out there!!!

picture is upside down or something but I think you get the point...haha

oh and the rub I put on it was a olive oil and then sea salt, pepper, sage, rosemary, and thyme.  I eyeballed the mixture and then lightly coated the roast.  nice added flavoring for the outer edge bites.

5 hours ago, rundrave said:

We are doing prime rib tomorrow night also.

So like I mentioned above we are doing a 4.3lber and now I am starting to 2nd guess my method? I would smoke but not sure everyone will be a fan of that so it will likely be in the gas oven.

I was thinking of rubbing with seasoning and let rest at room temp.

Preheat oven to 450.

When oven is at temp put in for 15-20 minutes

Turn oven down to 275 and cook until 125-130 degrees at center (I'm guessing about 15-20mins per pound)

Let is rest for 15mins covered in foil and then serve.

I will be able to monitor with digital thermometer so hopefully I don't mess it up :) for some reason worried I will ruin it lol

2 hours ago, rundrave said:

So like I mentioned above we are doing a 4.3lber and now I am starting to 2nd guess my method? I would smoke but not sure everyone will be a fan of that so it will likely be in the gas oven.

Preheat oven to 450.

Turn oven down to 275 and cook until 125-130 degrees at center (I'm guessing about 15-20mins per pound)

I will be able to monitor with digital thermometer so hopefully I don't mess it up :) for some reason worried I will ruin it lol

Two things I get nervous about in life. Watching the Vikings trying to win the Packers and cooking an expensive piece of meat without ruining it! ?

1 hour ago, leech~~ said:

Two things I get nervous about in life. Watching the Vikings trying to win the Packers and cooking an expensive piece of meat without ruining it! ?

I hope you do better cooking your next piece of meat than the Vikings did against the Packers in both games this year!

On 12/23/2019 at 6:16 PM, rundrave said:

Preheat oven to 450.

I am a fan of reverse sear.  Salt and rest over night if possible.  Oven at 200-225 until 130.  Remove. Crank oven up.  Meat in for five or ten min.  

Rest for a few min and serve

To be honest I smoked the chunk of meat and it really did not have a thick smokey flavor as I thought it might have...but used a mild wood smoke flavor (cherry).  Hope yours turned out!!

52 minutes ago, ozzie said:

Hope yours turned out!!

I forgot about this thread I never did follow up but the oven directions I followed above worked out perfectly. The middle was just right and the ends were done well enough to satisfy those that are scared of a little redness lol

D1AC999C-AC93-4C99-AFFA-B9D988A478B1.jpeg

58027596-B2FC-4315-90D3-019DDCB9AA19.jpeg

EFD7AA5F-DC2E-4387-A9EE-CC67A8E145F0.jpeg