• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Inline Reels?

rl_sd

Instead of reviving the thread from 2017, I figured it would be better off starting from scratch. I have been looking at inline reels now for a year to use for pan fishing. I’ve never used one before, only held them at the store. I was really close to buying the 13 radioactive pickle combo after thanksgiving when they had them for $90, but didn’t pull the trigger. Question for those of you that have them.... Is there a “middle of the line” combo that won’t break the bank, yet functions like it should? I hate to go cheap and end up not liking the setup because of poor build quality versus the function and handling of an inline reel. Thoughts?

I have heard from others the radio active pickle and the white ghost free fall aren't the best for dropping small jigs. Which that is what they are suppose to do.......In other words not worth the money. The higher end free falls are pretty good, and work well.

I do have the high end free fall, and I used it panfishing gills this last weekend on a St croix legend spring Bobber UL Rod. At first I disliked it, but once I got use to it I found it to be a nice smooth reel. Biggest problem I had was hitting the trigger to free spool when I went to set the hook. The drop adjustment worked well, and it dropped my small 1/80th lead head jig just fine. 

Like  most inlines you get what you pay for. I was kinda disapointed to hear about the radio active pickle reel.....I built a bright green Rod to put one on......guess I won't be now.

10 hours ago, Agronomist_at_IA said:

I have heard from others the radio active pickle and the white ghost free fall aren't the best for dropping small jigs. Which that is what they are suppose to do.......In other words not worth the money. The higher end free falls are pretty good, and work well.

I do have the high end free fall, and I used it panfishing gills this last weekend on a St croix legend spring Bobber UL Rod. At first I disliked it, but once I got use to it I found it to be a nice smooth reel. Biggest problem I had was hitting the trigger to free spool when I went to set the hook. The drop adjustment worked well, and it dropped my small 1/80th lead head jig just fine. 

Like  most inlines you get what you pay for. I was kinda disapointed to hear about the radio active pickle reel.....I built a bright green Rod to put one on......guess I won't be now.

Pickle is not worth the money

I have been pleasantly surprised with Eagle Claw inlines I have 2 of them. Also really happy with No 8 CGI inline reels and have 2 of those also. I use them with everything from super tiny tungsten  to spoons for walleyes. They need to be dialed for each lure but its really simple to do with both reels.

Haven't had any issues with either and they are nice and smooth. I will say they help put more fish on the ice. Chasing schools of perch here in SD its makes a difference getting those lures back down quickly and smoothly.

I have used a fair amount of inlines. Clam spooler, clam gravity elite (newest edition to my arsenal), cgi in-line and decent. The gravity elite is a $90 inline but i got a Heck of a deal on Black Friday and only payed $29 for it. So far I’d say it’s not worth $90. $30 is reasonable. It’s ok and worth the $30. The cgi, clam spooler and decent are all really good entry level type inlines and I really enjoy using the. 

4 hours ago, rundrave said:

I have been pleasantly surprised with Eagle Claw inlines I have 2 of them. Also really happy with No 8 CGI inline reels and have 2 of those also. I use them with everything from super tiny tungsten  to spoons for walleyes. They need to be dialed for each lure but its really simple to do with both reels.

Haven't had any issues with either and they are nice and smooth. I will say they help put more fish on the ice. Chasing schools of perch here in SD its makes a difference getting those lures back down quickly and smoothly.

Do you run the eagle combos or pair them with a different rod?

4 hours ago, rl_sd said:

Do you run the eagle combos or pair them with a different rod?

I have used them with a little bit of everything. Probably have couple right now spooled up on some HT Blue ultra lights.  Have used them on some cheap Berkeley rods and Walmart specials,  maybe even a st croix medium action etc. I would have to go check my rod case, I am not too picky on rods I just have a lot lol.

On 12/18/2019 at 8:12 AM, eyeguy 54 said:

Still love my descents. 

I have a Clam, Frabil and a One 3 Descent.  The Descent is easily the best of the the three.  I’ve thought about getting a Freefall but can’t imagine I’d ever like another inline way more than the Descent.  Push the button in on the handle and adjust the fall rate.  Really easy sand really smooth.  The drag is fantastic too - I seem to catch at least one pike every outing and it handles them just fine.  The geared retrieve is nice too vs. the 1:1 ratio of the Clam I have.

On 12/17/2019 at 10:15 AM, rundrave said:

I picked up my first inline last year, Eagle Claw, and so far I like it. The only complaint that I have is that there is no anti-reverse unlock option. I wrote to Eagle Claw to see if they have another model that would include this and at this time they do not. It would be great if they added this option along with the audible clicker it could work a lot like a rattle reel. 

Edited by BobT