• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best Smoked Appetizer

This year I am taking the entire week of Christmas off so I’m going to have time to make some extra good apps. Normally for Christmas Eve we do some grazing on apps and make steaks. What is the best smoked app you’ve made? Right now I’ve got some cheese that I smoked resting and plan to make smoked armadillo eggs with some venison sausage. I’ve done a fatty before which is always good. I’ve got a pellet grill and Bradley smoker. 

Smoked chicken wings.

I like the full wing (as pictured).

I use yellow mustard as the glue and then sprinkle liberally with Montreal Chicken seasoning.

Smoke at 220 - 250 for 1 1/2 - 2 hrs.

You can make them in advance.  Bag and keep in the refrigerator.  When you're ready to serve, warm them up on the grill.

Chicken Wing.jpg

1 hour ago, eyeguy 54 said:

Smoked deviled eggs. Been doing them for 35 years and always good. I have a Bradley also and it works sweet. No need to turn the oven on. Just use the burner for the pucks. 2 is plenty but 3 better. :)  then just devil them with whatever you like. 

? why did I know this was coming.??

3 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

Smoked deviled eggs. Been doing them for 35 years and always good. I have a Bradley also and it works sweet. No need to turn the oven on. Just use the burner for the pucks. 2 is plenty but 3 better. :)  then just devil them with whatever you like. 

Smoke first or devil first?

Lots of great ideas! 

Im not a big wing eater but I may have to try them smoked. 

Move always wonder how well shrimp would take smoke. My wife loves shrimp so these may be something to try as well. I’m thinking wrapped in bacon and when the shrimp are almost done I’ll toss them in the pellet grill and seat them until the bacon is done. 

My daughter informed me last night that she wants the armadillo eggs but with green peppers instead of jalapeño so I’ll be making both variations. 

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Keep them coming. 

1 hour ago, huntnfish said:

Im not a big wing eater but I may have to try them smoked.

we like our wings dry in my house so we love smoking them.

One thing that I do that many others don't is use a steampot. After they thaw I put them in a big steam pot for 15mins and boil. After they get steamed I just put them on a big sheet pan and season with rub of choice. You can brush them with mustard or even some oil to get rub to stick better if desired. After the rub is added I let them sit uncovered in the fridge over night. Then I smoke them at 250 for 90 mins to 2hrs. Your time and temp may vary based on how crunchy or dry you like them. You can also smoke and then turn up the temp or finish on a hot grill to get a little crispier skin.

Just made some yesterday for the Vikings game. 

1 minute ago, Mike89 said:

ya mean poking the egg!!!   ?

Yep. Still do it. Easy peasy. Glenn I buy a case at Cashwise when I do them. Pic is from hens. The toms are a lot bigger. Both are really good. Can get you recipe if you decide to do it. 

15 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

Yep. Still do it. Easy peasy. Glenn I buy a case at Cashwise when I do them. Pic is from hens. The toms are a lot bigger. Both are really good. Can get you recipe if you decide to do it. 

:grin:? awesome sauce!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh wait......... that means i gotta go shopping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wacko: