• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Rod And Reel Combo

Snowbound

Looking to update a couple of my rod and reels for the fish house.

In summer I like my St Croix rods and Pflueger reels.

Does St Croix make a good ice rod and are they in alliance with any reel manufacture?

Primary look for a rod for 17-20" walleye

2 hours ago, Hawg said:

Not sure I’ve ever seen a St.C in a combo. 

I have one, it's more than a few years old.

The reel is pretty junky overall and the chrome paint flaked off the handle after a year.

I like Abu Garcia Cardinals.  I dont remember the size, but it's the smallest one they make.

I love my St. Croix Rod during the summer. A few years back I bought a St. Croix ice fishing rod/real combo for around $40.  The rod was OK, until the tip snapped off. The reel on the other hand was a total piece of junk. The drag was the worst part - clunky - would catch every half-turn. When the rod tip broke I didn't even keep the reel as a back-up, threw the whole thing in the trash.

That was my experience then. Maybe they've improved - also realize $40 doesn't buy you top of the line stuff, but was surprised to see St. Croix put their brand on such junk.

For a good St. Croix rod, I'd look at the Avid series.  It's designed for bigger pannies and walleye.  The Mojo ice rod is also nice.  I've got a 28" medium one that works well on all walleye applications.  If you want a really good Croix rod, look at the CCI lineup.  I've got the 28" Perch/Eye spoon model.  For sensitivity, I don't think I have a more sensitive one.  Feels every nick and solid backbone to drive hooks home.  I pair most of my rods with either Jason Mitchell ones or the ICX-5 reel from Piscifun that came out last season.  Both are great quality reels.