• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Modify Kitchen Chairs

Tom7227

Mom just got wooden flooring installed in her kitchen.  The chairs she has have casters, the ones with the shaft that gets inserted into the sleeve on the bottom of the leg.  We'd like to get something was just a flat piece that wouldn't move so easily.  Concern is that the 93-year-old will take a tumble if the chairs moves as she sits down.

The legs are fairly long/wide rectangular and so I don't see this type of thing working.  What I would really like would be some sort of device that had the shaft but a flat piece of plastic rather than the casters.  But I've never seen anything like that.

What you want exists. I used to work for a company that produced a standing chair and I saw parts like that. The trick will be sourcing them in the quantity you need. might want to check with Grainger or McMaster-carr.

How about splurging on your Mom and getting her a new table and chairs set? Might be easier.?

Don't use the sticky felt pads on the bottom of chairs. After a while they start sliding off one side. My 82 year old mother-in-law used them on her chairs and it wore holes in her new floor in a short time.  We ended up replace the floor to sell her house after she passed away last winter. Their good for things that are sitting in one place like tables or things not to heavy, but sliding chairs not so much.  

5 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Don't use the sticky felt pads on the bottom of chairs. After a while they start sliding off one side. My 82 year old mother-in-law used them on her chairs and it wore holes in her new floor in a short time.  We ended up replace the floor to sell her house after she passed away last winter. Their good for things that are sitting in one place like tables or things not to heavy, but sliding chairs not so much.  

I use them, and when they slide to the side it is a simple matter to put on a new one and throw the old one away. 

Here's some on Amazon. This is probably exactly what you need and they have rubber on the bottom instead of felt so maybe that will shut certain people up??

they have lots of different types of these so take a look around and make sure to measure the stem so you get the right length or it won't work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B075P2RGNR/ref=sspa_mw_detail_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1

41zZnlxl+aL._AC_SY200_ML3_.jpg

Thanks again.  Now the issue is how do you tell someone that the ideas she has are wrong.  She has never accepted advice from me.  Maybe I should have one of you guys contact her.  No, actually I wouldn't do that to anyone.