• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wheelhouse Coffee

jk_minn

Picking up my new wheelhouse in a couple of weeks. Was just debating if I want to run a traditional coffee pot vs percolator. Let’s hear the pros and cons to each for those who have compared each? Thanks!

If by a traditional coffee pot you mean an electric drip coffee maker, they make a more consistent and better  tasting cup of coffee but you need a generator to run them.

Stove top percolators only need a camp stove or heater/cooker to work but it's easier to over cook the coffee and end up with a bitter tasting brew.

We use a single cup electric brewer.  So, yeah, you need a generator but we’re running one most of the time anyway.  We have a perk pot too for back up but chose the electric.  Gotta have coffee!

If you chose an electric, make sure it doesn’t store any water in a port or valve or something. It’ll freeze and break.  I tried a Kuerig we didn’t use in our house anymore.  Even dumping the reservoir, the valve in the bottom had residual water in it and broke.

2 hours ago, Wanderer said:

If you chose an electric, make sure it doesn’t store any water in a port or valve or something. It’ll freeze and break.  I tried a Kuerig we didn’t use in our house anymore.  Even dumping the reservoir, the valve in the bottom had residual water in it and broke.

Real world tips like this is what makes this place nice to still hang around in.

Not a coffee drinker, but I'll add this to the "Common sense things that aren't all that common to think about." folder in my my brain.

Yeah I would go with a French press or a pour over gadget before a percolator.  I'm not really a coffee snob and will drink gas station coffee all day, but percolators make some pretty awful coffee.

Don't have a wheelhouse but I just use a tea kettle and a pour over for camping coffee.  Then I can use the tea kettle to boil water for other purposes.  I assume you have a stove.

9 hours ago, Pat K said:

If by a traditional coffee pot you mean an electric drip coffee maker, they make a more consistent and better  tasting cup of coffee but you need a generator to run them.

Stove top percolators only need a camp stove or heater/cooker to work but it's easier to over cook the coffee and end up with a bitter tasting brew.

Can't taste as bad as hotel or gas station coffee. I've never minded perked coffee.

I use a drip machine that has an insulated carafe. That way it only drags down your generator for the short time it’s brewing and doesn’t have a hot plate bottom to keep your coffee hot. Works great. 

Been using a percolator for years. It started about 13yrs ago, we rented sleeper shacks on Upper Red and used a percolator to make coffee. It's a blue enameled one, that matches a blue enabled Colman 4 person camping dinner set. We talked about going to an electric coffee maker when I got my ice castle. We decided against it for these reasons.

It is simple and works 

Uses stove burner so no electric/genny won't rev up to high causing more noise.

It is easy to heat/use/store/reheat coffee

No glass to Break

It can make a pretty large pot

It has kinda became a tradition over the years

13 hours ago, smurfy said:

Can't taste as bad as hotel or gas station coffee. I've never minded perked coffee.

With the amount they must go through in a morning I've always been amazed at how god awful most hotel coffee is.

1 hour ago, Pat K said:

With the amount they must go through in a morning I've always been amazed at how god awful most hotel coffee is.

my guess super cheap and a poor grade of coffee!!!!!!!!!!

if anyone uses on of them pots papadarv has pictured, try making egg coffee. man thats good stuff. simply put the coffee grounds in a cup, and an egg, no shells, mix good and put in the boiling water. you do need to pay attention, it boils over easy. when you think its done, just add a bit of cold water, this makes everything settle sooner. and enjoy.

30 minutes ago, smurfy said:

if anyone uses on of them pots papadarv has pictured, try making egg coffee. man thats good stuff. simply put the coffee grounds in a cup, and an egg, no shells, mix good and put in the boiling water. you do need to pay attention, it boils over easy. when you think its done, just add a bit of cold water, this makes everything settle sooner. and enjoy.

Maybe I'm missing something, but doesn't the egg cook in the boiling water?  I'm picturing coffee with bunch of floating bits of scrambled eggs floating at the top.

31 minutes ago, smurfy said:

Coffee grounds boiled egg?  You been reading to many of Del's Sous Vide posts! ?? ?

6 minutes ago, Getanet said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but doesn't the egg cook in the boiling water?  I'm picturing coffee with bunch of floating bits of scrambled eggs floating at the top.

I think the part smurfy left out is the french press.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/egg-coffee-2952648

The only place I have had egg coffee is at some lutheran church's diner at the state fair.  It's a pretty decent cup of coffee.

51 minutes ago, Getanet said:

your exactly right, thats kinda what it looks like. but dont knock it till ya try it.

49 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Coffee grounds boiled egg?  You been reading to many of Del's Sous Vide posts! ?? ?

?? naw...........i was making egg coffee longgggggggggg before i knew Del and his meat boiling operation!!!!!?

My mother used to make egg coffee for special occasions. That was 40 years ago so I don't remember how it tasted but a lot of old timers claimed it was the best. If you knew how to do it right the egg and grounds sunk to the bottom when you added a splash of cold water.

When we go camping we make boiled or cowboy coffee.   Put in water, add ground coffee, bring to just a boil, shut off.  Let cool a couple minutes for grounds to sink, and drink.  

A french press or a Chemex would be better coffee but more stuff to mess with.  A electric drip pot can do a great job or a poor job but is really easy.   

My opinion is Chemex (pour over) if you are a coffee aficionado.  Cowboy style if not.   In any case, an insulated carafe is a good idea to keep it hot.