• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New To Streaming

CigarGuy

Trying to ditch Dish. I'm streaming the wild game on a Roku 4k. The picture is terrible, blurry and a  little buffered. What do I need to do to improve the picture quality? Have internet through frontier. My wife's company pays the bill, so I don't have any access to make changes. Thanks...

Edited by CigarGuy

24 minutes ago, CigarGuy said:

Trying to ditch Dish. I'm streaming the wild game on a Roku 4k. The picture is terrible, blurry and a  little buffered. What do I need to do to improve the picture quality? Have internet through frontier. My wife's company pays the bill, so I don't have any access to make changes. Thanks...

It's a bandwidth thing.    run one of the internet speed check things.    Like speedtest.net for example.   You need a couple of megabits at least, or more depending on how good the sources compression and bandwidth management is.

1 hour ago, delcecchi said:

It's a bandwidth thing.    run one of the internet speed check things.    Like speedtest.net for example.   You need a couple of megabits at least, or more depending on how good the sources compression and bandwidth management is.

+1

BB.jpg

51 minutes ago, CigarGuy said:

Thanks Del, first time tonight I ran it was 2.35, second time 3.34. That's the lowest I've seen, 5.40 was the highest on a different day. Why does it vary so much?

Typically there are shared resources or links from them to you.    Try a different server, usually the test lets you pick a different one from a choice of several.    

It's like driving from the cities to cook.   The speed limit on 35 is 70 mph.   But if it is friday nite before opener... you aren't going to get 70 mph.   Likewise if one of the links is 1Gigabit but 500 people are doing Neflix and Chill you will slow down.    Netflix is really good at dealing with congestion issues.   Facebook or whoever was streaming the wild game, maybe not as good.

1 hour ago, Liatry said:

+1

BB.jpg

Come on Dude!  At least change your location if you going to keep this up!  Can I get a +1 please!  ?

Liatry

johnrr65

we are 'the leading edge' I Share on HSO

HSO Member

Profile Information

frabz-He-did-it-again-04d85d.jpg

Edited by leech~~

2.5 to 3 from the wifi isn't going to do very well streaming video, especially from something moving fast and hard to compress like a hockey game and in HD.    So the video gets cut down to SD first thing.    

I have watched movies on a Roku using my Tmobile hotspot and they were ok.  Since the TV wasn't the greatest and only like a 40, I'm not sure if I could have told if resolution had been downgraded to SD or not.   

Is this up North, or in cities?   

11 hours ago, delcecchi said:

2.5 to 3 from the wifi isn't going to do very well streaming video, especially from something moving fast and hard to compress like a hockey game and in HD.    So the video gets cut down to SD first thing.    

I have watched movies on a Roku using my Tmobile hotspot and they were ok.  Since the TV wasn't the greatest and only like a 40, I'm not sure if I could have told if resolution had been downgraded to SD or not.   

Is this up North, or in cities?   

This at my house in Burnsville.  I'm really worried about the speed up at the cabin, that's why I haven't signed up with Access Broadband yet.

15 hours ago, CigarGuy said:

This at my house in Burnsville.  I'm really worried about the speed up at the cabin, that's why I haven't signed up with Access Broadband yet.

From my experience a few years ago, that is a legitimate concern with their cheaper plans.  It certainly is worth asking th them about it

I just signed up with Access, we'll see how it goes. Like you were saying, winter shouldn't be a problem, but summer might have some issues at times, as far as live streaming. She said that only one person in household should be live streaming at a time, if watching action sports.