• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone Else Getting Their Sleds Ready ?

Walleyehooker

54 minutes ago, AlwaysFishing23 said:

Yep! Ended with about 3-4” schools shut down and everything. Major storm on its way. What a joke... 

Well I would have to agree with the weather people. Up here in Ely it is still coming down and at least at my house we have over a foot already! Thank god and leech ?  that it didn't start till 7:00pm last night.

2 hours ago, chaffmj said:

Well I would have to agree with the weather people. Up here in Ely it is still coming down and at least at my house we have over a foot already! Thank god and leech ?  that it didn't start till 7:00pm last night.

Yeah, sorry but I don't pray for snow that far north.  It's wasn't me this time! ?

20 hours ago, leech~~ said:

IKR!  This whole winter so far has been plans started and scrapped because of the weather.  I have MLK day off and thinking of heading up by Orock to buzz around a bit to get the sled on some snow and grab a burger at the Refuge after.

they did groom the trails on Thursday here, so with the 4 inches on top it should be OK. I will wait for next Friday, and head up to palisade to ride. looks like they got about 8 inches of new snow.

18 minutes ago, knoppers said:

I was out riding Friday from my place in palisade rode north to hill city. lots of snow, and great trails. it was waist deep, lakes are now good for travel.

Yeah, we didn't find any slush on the lake we were on. 

Had a couple of hours to burn yesterday afternoon and did a 70 mile run. Trails were alright other then they’re rock solid hard pack now. But good enough to put some a miles on! Ended up having to run and grab a few set of slides as the old ones are wore pretty good. Now I’m trying to get them replaced but what a pain to do! The old ones don’t want to move. 

Thanks knoppers! I just finished this project up about an hour ago. Took about 3 days with a few hours each, I don’t have a heated building so turns out the slides were froze on. But with a torch I was able to melt the ice and use a punch and hammer to remove them. Pretty straight forward. I needed to replace the bolts that hold them on but that’s minor. Have to watch track tension now as well. 

Edited by AlwaysFishing23

Noticed yesterday went for a ride down the trail and the sled seemed to stop really quick like something was binding when I let off the gas. Pulled over and looked everything over and it all looked ok. It seemed fine by the time I got back home after a few miles all was fine. Track tension was and is great. Maybe because the old slides were wore down so much the new ones caused a little drag? 

same as walleyehooker said, new slides hold up better if they are annealed first, so getting them hot, then cold is best. once they get hot, there will be drag, like a brake is on.

Edited by knoppers

Thanks knoppers! Exactly what it was like. Kept thinking track was cranked up on tension ( set perfect) or the chain or the belt was messed up but nope. I was out this morning (-10) and after a while I could feel this drag. Just didn’t feel right. Kept looking for an issue but came up empty. Let the sled cool for a while grabbed the otter and headed out. All seemed fine and normal there and back (7 miles each way). I figured the new slides were causing some resistance and getting hot since where I was riding it wasn't kicking up much snow, Since everything is rock solid. Another thing I should mention is when I stoped to look for an issue I thought I had a quick wiff of what smelled like hot or burning plastic. Not a rubber. It was cold so I was all bundled up but it had me worried that something was up, but it sounds like that’s just part of the process of breaking in new slides? 

I did a quick 2 hour ride today, still got 73 miles on, some of the areas like ditches and lakes I was running hot and this was in aitkin county. they need some fresh snow as everything has gotten hard, the trails were fine, as the groomers have it busted up with plenty of loose snow for lube. I overheated riding across my lake, I have a 137 inch track, so it needs more powder. once I hit the shoreline area, I found plenty of powder to cool things down.

well my season ended today, rode my lake for 20 miles on friday to get the stabil run through the system, then hit the car wash today to get the road salt off from trailering all winter, and its put in the back of the garage till next year. it was another good year of riding, can't complain. now its time to get the wheeler out.

what? no one riding. come on, some of you must still be out riding, lets here about it. my co-worker rode last weekend in IF and said it was great. he his riding again saturady on the north shore, and the reports I have seen look good for riding. what else can we do now? I was thinking about pulling my sled out again for something to do.

I just got back from the day up north and it’s a night and day difference. Trails are pristine and like mid winter. They just got a couple inches of fresh powder the other day. LOTS of enclosed sled trailers going north. I would have loved to have had my sled in tow but instead had the Lund in tow. 

getting the itch with this early snow. was looking at the sled and thinking of getting it ready, but its too early, I will wait another 3 weeks or so. I was up at the cabin in backus today to pull out the dock ( in lots of snow) and noticed there have been a few people out in the ditches already. ground still not froze, so only about 4 inches on the ground, but I did shovel a good 8 inches off the deck today, way to early for this.