• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Camper Questions, Help??

jay83196

Looking at getting a camper and never had one before, but have questions. I have a half ton PU and looking at around a 24' bunkhouse style pull behind. It's just me, my wife and daughter and her bringing a friend once in while (why the bunks be nice). Probably use it 4-5 times a year and deer hunting for a week. Not sure if going new or used up to 10 years old at most.  Generally do the slide outs have issues leaking, breaking down not retracting? Brands good or bad? 

Any recommendations to avoid or must get in getting a camper? 

Thanks! 

9 hours ago, jay83196 said:

Looking at getting a camper and never had one before, but have questions. I have a half ton PU and looking at around a 24' bunkhouse style pull behind. It's just me, my wife and daughter and her bringing a friend once in while (why the bunks be nice). Probably use it 4-5 times a year and deer hunting for a week. Not sure if going new or used up to 10 years old at most.  Generally do the slide outs have issues leaking, breaking down not retracting? Brands good or bad? 

Any recommendations to avoid or must get in getting a camper? 

Thanks! 

IMO, the roof is the most important component. It has been said that there are only 2 types of camper roofs, those that leak and those that are going to leak.

Inspect any used camper roof diligently and make sure there are no soft spots and that yearly maintenance has been performed.  

As far as slides go, yes they can sometimes be problematic but I would guess that there are very few new models produced today without one. Kind of like electric windows on cars. I used to avoid them because it was one more thing to go wrong but now you would have a hard time finding one without them. 

Also, the RV refrigerator can be a problem in older campers. Make sure  it works before purchasing a used camper. If it doesn't,  that severely depreciates the value of an older unit in my mind.

I would just recommend walking through as many floor plans as possible and try to envision your family in there. One of the biggest mistakes people make is buying the wrong layout and having to trade much sooner than expected. 

Edited by Big Dave2