• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cargo Ramp Door

Cooperman

Anyone out there with a ramp door on there fishhouse, or on a regular trailer know what is going on at the bottom of my ramp door. It looks like rust, but I took a magnet to it, and it appears to be all aluminum. It must be some kind of corrosion? It has come on pretty fast, I noticed it starting last fall. It’s a 2014 Yetti, but I don’t think they make the ramp door, I think they purchase it.

0504F08F-8DC9-4EA6-BFF3-34CA26F10C46.jpeg

A8FE190F-F532-4BCD-ACF2-8CFC3294A88C.jpeg

2A3C1639-6752-435D-9786-7D239BE70B8E.jpeg

Edited by Cooperman

I had corrosion similar to what you have by the hinge on an aluminum boat once. It was caused by electrolysis from a frayed ground wire. The corrosion was near a couple rivets and one stainless screw.       The other spot near the "Fish House" doesn't seem to be near a fastener so I'm baffled by that one.

did you contact yetti???    I would do that too...  

3 hours ago, Cooperman said:

There doesn’t appear to be any wires in the door. I’m going to try and find an illustration of  how this thing is put together. Hopefully that may give me a clue to what is going on.

thanks guys for the reply’s.

3 hours ago, Cooperman said:

There doesn’t appear to be any wires in the door. I’m going to try and find an illustration of  how this thing is put together. Hopefully that may give me a clue to what is going on.

thanks guys for the reply’s.

There doesn't have to be wires in the door. A short-(grounded) wire any where in the trailer or frame can cause that. Not sure how easy it is to get into the ramp door to see if its getting water in spots?  It may be leaking down from the top seal when it rains?

2 hours ago, leech~~ said:

There doesn't have to be wires in the door. A short-(grounded) wire any where in the trailer or frame can cause that. Not sure how easy it is to get into the ramp door to see if its getting water in spots?  It may be leaking down from the top seal when it rains?

Well if that’s the case, I better look the whole house over. It could be happening elsewhere and I may have not noticed it. 

1 hour ago, Cooperman said:

Well if that’s the case, I better look the whole house over. It could be happening elsewhere and I may have not noticed it. 

Electrolysis Is the same concept in a aluminum boat and why all grounds are to a buzz bar and not grounded to the hull.

In your case it could be moister in the door making current path.  But, I could be all wet!  ?

Since paint doesn't like to adhere to Aluminum, perhaps it is merely a case of poor prep and priming of the aluminum surface.    A small particle of something ferrous that was stuck to  the aluminum would do it too.   

This is corrosion plain and simple. Can be caused by several things salt will corrode aluminum like that. From the looks of it something got behind the one spot you  have shown there. Just like rust if its not stopped it will continue to corrode. Clean it, scotch brite it, zinc chromate primer it and then paint it.