• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Navionics Lake Map For My Phone

tacklejunkie

Question

9 answers to this question

8 hours ago, tacklejunkie said:

How do I get that? How does that compare to the lake master chip that goes inside a fishfinder?

If you have an iPhone use App Store. If your phone is Android go to Play Store. Search Boating. The app you want is Boating HD Marine & Lakes. Android latest version 11.4. I don't know the iPhone version. You get a 2 week full free trial. After that the cost is $14.99 per year. 

20190925_211504.thumb.jpg.441edba21b7d3ac3b0a52cc9258a4807.jpg

I found many lakes are nearly identical on Lakemaster & Boating. Some are more accurate others not as accurate. I use a WiFi sonar and link my sonar to Boating. About a week later my maps on lakes I fish are updated by Navionics with new accurate contours. I use a 10" tablet that has a Glonass GPS accurate to 2 meters. Most cell phones use a low grade GPS chip and depend on cell towers for location accurcy. The Boating September 2019 release now has a cool on-the-fly marker placement on GPS spot. Just tap the marker icon on bottom left of screen. Great for marking a catch exact spot.

20190925_210325.thumb.jpg.78fc390dfbc56e0ca92385a16bcefea6.jpg

Is this be a good idea to get through my phone or would be better off just buying a different fishfinder? Which do you recommend?

What if I am out in the middle of Lake superior or Lake of the Woods and don’t have cell service?

Edited by tacklejunkie

35 minutes ago, tacklejunkie said:

Is this be a good idea to get through my phone or would be better off just buying a different fishfinder? Which do you recommend?

I have the phone app, it is great and it gets the job done. However I hate exposing my phone to the elements. Was just out in the kayak fishing on Sunday and it started to rain lightly. I have a navionics chip in my humminbird and just kept on fishing with out an issue. Had I been relying on my phone I wouldn't have been able to.

The other thing is the phone app is a resource hog it will drain the battery etc. My phone doesnt do well sitting in direct sun in the summer heat while out on the water.  My phone also doesnt handle the cold if exposed to it for a long time. Then to try and fumble with a phone when its freezing cold out, wearing gloves trying to get to spot ice fishing. I will take my helix unit over the phone every time.

46 minutes ago, rundrave said:

I have the phone app, it is great and it gets the job done. However I hate exposing my phone to the elements. Was just out in the kayak fishing on Sunday and it started to rain lightly. I have a navionics chip in my humminbird and just kept on fishing with out an issue. Had I been relying on my phone I wouldn't have been able to.

The other thing is the phone app is a resource hog it will drain the battery etc. My phone doesnt do well sitting in direct sun in the summer heat while out on the water.  My phone also doesnt handle the cold if exposed to it for a long time. Then to try and fumble with a phone when its freezing cold out, wearing gloves trying to get to spot ice fishing. I will take my helix unit over the phone every time.

The hummingbird helix was my second option. I looked at the helix seven. If that’s the one you have to tell me what you think of it

Whatever tablet you might choose make sure it has a GPS/Glonass system GPS chip. Tables also have better battery life. I use a Samsung Tab A 10.1" which has a GPS/Glonass GPS chip. They also make a Tab A 8.0" with same chip, not as bulky. You can get a 10.1 for $160 to $180 or the 8.0" $130 to "$145 with a bit of Google searching. Both have 6ah batteries running 6 to 7 hours on full charge. Summer I use boat battery charge and hard water my M18 drill battery with a USB adapter to keep them at full charge. Not hard to keep tablet dry in summer and warm in winter.

20 hours ago, tacklejunkie said:

What if I am out in the middle of Lake superior or Lake of the Woods and don’t have cell service?

My tablet Boating App works flawlessly 60 miles of shore in the Gulf of Mexico. My Brother, Charter Captian, got my set up as a back up to his $4000 Furuno sonar/navagation system due to contour accurcy and the spot on AutoRoute feature in the App.