• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vikings 2019

leech~~

Went to the opener game yesterday and it was Fuuun! ?

But this, needs to get better fast!  If it wasn't for defense, take overs and our running backs we had nothing!

Our $85 mill guy needs to make some plays to the two best receivers in the NFL!

At least our kicker did his job! ?

Passing Yards.

ATL

M. Ryan 33-46, 304 YDS, 2 TD, 2 INT

MIN

K. Cousins 8-10, 98 YDS, 1 TD

52 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Despite the contract I am ok with Cousin's game yesterday. Asking Cousins to try and do too much didn't work well last year. Diggs already has hamstring issues and no need to set him back when the game is already in control. Especially with a big road game coming in week 2 against a division rival. With how the game started they didn't have to get fancy and expose their offensive scheme. I am hoping they were trying not to reveal too much and keep the Packers guessing. No idea how the Vikes o-line was able to generate the running yards but they also showed they are going to have trouble protecting Cousin's again.

Honestly going into the season opener I was more worried about yesterdays game than the Packers game next week. Would be hard to start the year 0-1 and potentially 0-2 after playing in Green Bay. After yesterdays win and how bad Green Bay looked in their first game I am hoping the Vikes and go 2-0.

Was a good start to the season but as a Vikings fan I am sure they will come full circle and blow it :) none the less it was a much needed good distraction to a poor Twins weekend.

1 hour ago, leech~~ said:

But this, needs to get better fast!  If it wasn't for defense, take overs and our running backs we had nothing!

Passing Yards.

ATL

MIN

What is your point? Cousins only made 10 attempts. Defense, takeovers and running backs is a huge part of any football game. The forward pass isn't everything, why even attempt then if you don't need to. 

I'm not a huge fan of Cousins but his passer rating was around 140 with a rushing TD and a passing TD so I think he did exactly what was asked of him. 

Edited by Big Dave2

14 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

What is your point? Cousins only made 10 attempts. Defense, takeovers and running backs is a huge part of any football game. The forward pass isn't everything, why even attempt then if you don't need to. 

I'm not a huge fan of Cousins but his passer rating was around 140 with a rushing TD and a passing TD so I think he did exactly what was asked of him. 

Point is:

As the second highest paid QB in the NFL it's pizz poor when your coaches only give you 10 balls to throw a whole game to the two best receivers in the NFL. ?

"Defense, takeovers and running backs is a huge part of any football game"  I said that! ?

Edited by leech~~

I wouldn't get too caught up in one game, its a small sample size. The way the game started out and getting up early and with the defense getting turnovers there was no need to dial anything up. Diggs was questionable to even play prior to the game. I don't know what more you want him to do in a blowout that wouldn't risk injuring him further? Run the clock, and get out of there with no injuries and move on.

If we all we see is dink and dunk and Cousins under pressure scrambling for his life at Green Bay then I would get worried. Hard to call anything pizz poor after one game that was a beat down right out of the gate.

47 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Point is:

As the second highest paid QB in the NFL it's pizz poor when your coaches only give you 10 balls to throw a whole game to the two best receivers in the NFL.

Why on earth would you want any QB to throw the ball 30 times in a game like that? Remember that time when Nebraska beat the gophers by 50 points and only attempted 1 or 2 passes the entire game? Now that's a beat down.

53 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

Why on earth would you want any QB to throw the ball 30 times in a game like that? Remember that time when Nebraska beat the gophers by 50 points and only attempted 1 or 2 passes the entire game? Now that's a beat down.

I don't know.  Earn their pay?  Ask Tom Brady! ?

You don't force your QB to needlessly throw the ball in a blow out win just to justify the money he is making.  Each game is different, when the opposing team can't stop the run then you run it right at them.  When they can't stop the run and you're up 2-3 touchdowns you run it even more to eat up the clock and keep the chains moving.  

If you want to see how Cousins earned his money yesterday you first look at the standings and focus on the win column.  Secondly you look at what he did when he was called upon.  He completed 80% of his passes, threw a td on 10% of his throws, and also ran for another TD.  He personally accounted for 2 of the 4 TD's.  I think he earned his pay check. 

2 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Point is:

As the second highest paid QB in the NFL it's pizz poor when your coaches only give you 10 balls to throw a whole game to the two best receivers in the NFL. ?

"Defense, takeovers and running backs is a huge part of any football game"  I said that! ?

Actually there's 6 of 'em making $30 mil/yr or more these days. Seattle, Pitt, Rams, GB, Philly, & Atlanta.?

53 minutes ago, gunner55 said:

Actually there's 6 of 'em making $30 mil/yr or more these days. Seattle, Pitt, Rams, GB, Philly, & Atlanta.?

Well then helll, 10 balls a game is Great, I guess.  Wonder what the per ball cost is for that? $80,000 ea?  ?

45 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Well then helll, 10 balls a game is Great, I guess.  Wonder what the per ball cost is for that? $80,000 ea?  ?

More like $140k.:P Ryan threw 46 times & with his salary that's only about  $ 32,500 per pass. Hmmmmm, much better.???

11 minutes ago, gunner55 said:

More like $140k.:P Ryan threw 46 times & with his salary that's only about  $ 32,500 per pass. Hmmmmm, much better.???

I'm sure the Falcons are pumped at the bargain they got out of their QB.  Who cares that they lost when they only paid $32,000 per throw versus the Vikings who opened the wallets at spent $140,000 per throw.  Although the Falcons probably aren't super excited about paying Julie Jones $230,000 per catch yesterday. 

34 minutes ago, rundrave said:

The other thing to keep in mind is I think this Kubiak system is going to highlight Dalvin Cooks skills more than it will highlight Cousins. I could care less how much it costs per play etc, just win.

I could careless about Cousins but hate to see Diggs and Thielen just being used as blockers and bait all year!  

We didn't have the Minneapolis Miracle from a running back! ?

https://youtu.be/18A9j5Hp0O0

Edited by leech~~

15 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Passing Yards.

ATL

MIN

It’s going to be OK. He isn’t Teddy and this isn’t his ceiling. 

16 hours ago, leech~~ said:

I could careless about Cousins but hate to see Diggs and Thielen just being used as blockers and bait all year!  

We didn't have the Minneapolis Miracle from a running back! ?

https://youtu.be/18A9j5Hp0O0

If we run the ball effectively and have a 28-0 lead late in the game there isn't a need for another Minneapolis Miracle.  

2 hours ago, gunner55 said:

I'm sure 1 of the reasons Zimmer wants to run the ball more is so HIS defense isn't on the field 35-40 minutes every game & to help them stay healthy.

Exactly! That game was played how any coach in the NFL would want the game to be played. Run, run and run some more. As long as the chains are moving, keep the ball on the ground, grind out the clock and keep your D fresh. Might be boring, but a W is what counts at the end. 

1 hour ago, Duffman said:

I hope they draft a good QB next year.

That was a shiatty play call on first and goal to begin with.

Pack aren't that impressive, neither are the Vikes.

This is where:

Big Dave2

HSO Legacy Member

Don't know much about football, huh?   ?

Doesn't matter if we have a good QB. We're a running team! ?

Edited by leech~~

Only 2 comments on the game. 

1. What a lousy throw by Cousins in the endzone and what a lousy play call.  They were running the ball right down the Packers throats, why would you not keep running it. 

2. I think I hate the new PI replay.  To take a touchdown off the board because they noticed someone maybe sorta blocking when they reviewed the scoring play is kind of a joke.  The PI wasn't called on the field and no one challenged it.  When you're reviewing the scoring play it seems like you should only be reviewing if the player got the ball across the line without losing control.  Pretty soon they'll be reviewing every lineman to make sure they weren't holding on the play as well and that none of them moved a thousandth of a second before the snap.  If that happens I hope they also review every defensive player to make sure they didn't move early, hold, or engage a receiver after 5 yards.  It really feels like we've gone too far with this replay thing and they're using it as a answer to everything when sometime you're just exchanging one bad call for another. 

I think thats all I've got besides the fact that I haven't been real impressed with the NFC north so far.  The Packers and Vikings look average to decent but hardly superbowl contenders.  The Bears squeaked out a win but they are looking like they don't have much to work with at QB.  And the Lions as usual aren't worth talking about.