• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Rick

What Is The Best Survival Firearm?

PSX_20190826_085945.jpg

Handgun, rifle, or shotgun?

Which type, caliber and brand if you have a preference? 

I choose an AR15. It's light, can carry a bunch or rounds, the 5.56x45mm rounds of ammo are readily available and can do what is needed in a variety of situations from self defense to hunting for food.

What do you think is the best choice? 

I was actually serious about my question above. I read things from time to time about preppers and find myself wanting to be prepared in the case of an emergency and less reliant on services. What I struggle with is is determining exactly what scenario I am prepping for. Each emergency situation can be different, with different needs. That's why I asked the question. The term "survival" can mean so many different things. 

1 hour ago, Big Dave2 said:

I was actually serious about my question above. I read things from time to time about preppers and find myself wanting to be prepared in the case of an emergency and less reliant on services. What I struggle with is is determining exactly what scenario I am prepping for. Each emergency situation can be different, with different needs. That's why I asked the question. The term "survival" can mean so many different things. 

Only one to prep for Dave.  The Second coming!  😉

Probably an 870.  You can kill most anything with it for food without totally blowing it apart.  You can defend yourself if need be.  It will function all the time, every time, with little maintenance.

Or a Ruger 10/22.  Ammo is easy to find, you can carry a ton of it, and you can kill food with it.

On 8/26/2019 at 9:55 PM, bobbymalone said:

Probably an 870.  You can kill most anything with it for food without totally blowing it apart.  You can defend yourself if need be.  It will function all the time, every time, with little maintenance.

Or a Ruger 10/22.  Ammo is easy to find, you can carry a ton of it, and you can kill food with it.

I saw the Ruger AR 556 pistol. I may need to change my choice to that.

Dave, what is your choice based on your own assessment of a combination of YOUR most likely survival scenarios.

I'd select a 22 single shot rifle--Win model 67 --easy to clean and no fix to it. It can kill anything up to and including a deer.

It's light and so is the ammo.

A combat situation for survival is another story, but the question was what weapon for survival?

Duck and hide, don't confront, be out of sight and use snares.

23 hours ago, Rick said:

Dave, what is your choice based on your own assessment of a combination of YOUR most likely survival scenarios.

I can't come up with a realistic survival scenario where I live where 1 firearm would make a difference other than a home invasion or some sort of a break in so I will stick with my .45 or some sort of hand gun. 

Realistically, if I am in a situation where I need to defend myself with a firearm and use it to gather food, things have really gone awry and I will probably not be around long and that may be alright.

If the entire world has gone to $#!% and we're talking long term survival and not just trying to survive until rescue comes then I might take a different approach.  The 2 main concerns would be food and protection.  For food I'd skip a firearm altogether and instead bring my bow.  1 arrow can be shot hundreds if not thousands of times so it really reduces the fear or risk of running out of ammo.  No matter the firearm sooner or later you'll fire your last shot and sourcing more ammo may be impossible.  A stock pile of arrows will last a VERY VERY long time.  With food being taken care of without use of a firearm I could select a firearm with its primary purpose being protection.  In that case I'd probably go with some type of handgun for a couple reasons.  Its light and easy to have on you all of the time which is a big advantage.  A gun that is sitting 10 feet away doesn't do you much good when really needed so I'd rather ensure my firearm is on my body 100% of the time.  Its also the best option for close in protection.  I don't see myself needing the ability to protect myself from a person 100 yards away as I can avoid a danger from that distance easy enough without wasting ammo, the best way to survive is to not put yourself at risk in the first place.  I'd want the best option for the close quarter situations where I can no longer avoid the danger and must confront it with force.  As for exactly what handgun I'm not sure.  I'd probably put availability of large amounts of ammo as top factor followed by how effective is the firearm and stopping a threat quickly.