• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wheeled Fish House

Snowbound

For those that have a wheeled house do you have problems with frost building up on the windows and door in extreme cold?

I built this skid house and it's so humid inside and I have problems with frost/ice build up

IMG_1273.JPG

I don't have one but I really like the one you built. Since you have solar power 12V you could throw up a few small fans around pointed at the ceiling and add a few open & close vents.  

She looks pretty tight and you could have some issues if your heater ever acted up with vapors.  

I have a Suburban heater like what is in Ice Castle houses

It has a blower to move air.

I'm thinking the house is so tight and with the fish holes the humidity builds up

That's why I'm wondering if the manufactured houses have some type of vents built in

Pretty tough to get away from freezing up like you mentioned. I just open the door once in a while and vent out humidity. I bring a hammer and blunt chisel to knock the ice out of the door jam and I usually give up on the windows. They generally freeze up overnight with the curtains in front of them.

1 hour ago, Grainbelt said:

Pretty tough to get away from freezing up like you mentioned. I just open the door once in a while and vent out humidity. I bring a hammer and blunt chisel to knock the ice out of the door jam and I usually give up on the windows. They generally freeze up overnight with the curtains in front of them.

This is normal for all the manufactured Ice Castle, Yeti & Glacier fish houses?

Edited by Snowbound

I have a Suburban NT-20 SQ, 19,000 BTU vented in my 6.5 X 12 wheelhouse. I drill my 6 holes (8") with house fully up taking extreme steps making sure no snow, ice or water gets on the floor. I also found a unique way to 100% seal my holes so no outside air gets into my house through the holes. My house is also well sealed. At -22 deg. with 20 mph wind my furnace run time us about 18-20 min. per hour and my windows don't even "fog up" with 3 guys fishing. 

Drilling or re-driling holes in a skid, it's nearly impossible to avoid avoiding snow, ice shavings & water on the inside floor which may be the source of inside moisture. Maybe venting as leech suggested will help, our even power vent until the floor dries could help. Sorta like taking a shower in a bathroom without a bath fan, when a bit of condensation shows up on the mirror. 

26 minutes ago, Snowbound said:

This is normal for all the manufactured Ice Castle, Yeti & Glacier fish houses?

No, not normal. Only time I have had any frost inside is when I forget to fully close and lock my windows. I have them open when drilling holes.

Getting the moisture out is key. Even a few guys breathing in a house all day and night will add moisture. Anyone who has ever slept in a tent hunting late season and woke up to frost and dripping on the top knows that.  What I did on a few of my old skid houses was added the small round vents posted above, one right behind the heater so it always had fresh burnable air and one on the opposite roof peak on the other side. This let the rising heat push the moisture out of the house and worked pretty well.

Let us know what you come up with this winter. 

It's the same physics as a dehumidifier. Moisture draws to cold. My door is open and closed a bunch, kids and people in and out dragging snow. The moisture goes to the cold which is around the door and windows. It doesn't bother me it's just a fact of nature, extreme cold is just something to deal with.