• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fish House Build #2

BunchOfish

I got the center cabinet door made up last night.  All of the cutting is officially done.  I have a little sanding to do and I will stain it and it will be completed.  He doesn't want carpet so that saves me some time and money.  The plan is to deliver it this Saturday when I go to get my deer stands ready for the season.

37 minutes ago, BunchOfish said:

I got the center cabinet door made up last night.  All of the cutting is officially done.  I have a little sanding to do and I will stain it and it will be completed.  He doesn't want carpet so that saves me some time and money.  The plan is to deliver it this Saturday when I go to get my deer stands ready for the season.

Ok, but your not getting by without final project walk through pictures!!  ?

It would also be nice to see-hear changes and improvements that you made on this one from your first one. ?

Edited by leech~~

4 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Ok, but your not getting by without final project walk through pictures!!  ?

It would also be nice to see-hear changes and improvements that you made on this one from your first one. ?

No worries!  I will have a full write up and a bunches of pics to go with it.  I will also go over the things I tweaked on this house compared to my first one.

23 hours ago, rumeye said:

What was you're final cost on this project ? Might think about doing one myself.

Right now I'm sitting at about $3000 but I try very hard to find ways to save money and I have ways of getting steel really cheap since that is probably the biggest cost of the whole project. 

Edited by BunchOfish

I officially finished the house last night.  I'm going to do a full write up on the whole process for those that might want to do something similar.  I'm going to break it down by stages.

-Frame:  Its a 6.5 x 12 foot house with no V.  I used 2 x 3 x 3/16" steel tubing for the frame the majority of the frame.  I used 2.5 x 2.5 x 1/4" tubing for the pivot arms and I used those on the two cross members where the wheels are to strengthen the frame where it takes the most stress(I know this because the frame was fully modeled and tested on a CAD system so I know right where the weak points are).   I used 3500# axle stubs for the wheels along with 3500# springs.  This house doesn't have a pivoting lounge to keep it simple.  For paint, I used rustolem. I put 2 coats of primer and 3 coats of black paint.  Totally weight of the frame was about 600lbs.

-Flooring:  I first insulated the floor.  I used 1.5" pink foam board pushed down into the frame.  I welded in tabs for the insulation to sit on so it cant push all the way through.  I used 3/4" green treat plywood for the flooring.  It was fully glued and screwed down to the frame and insulation.  Zero flex in the floor doing this.

-Framing:  I used 2x2's(made my own by ripping down 2x4's as it saved money and the board were straighter then a regular 2x2).  I used 2x4's for the roof.  I spaced the studs at 20".  I made the walls 6.5ft high on the inside(7ft overall).  The walls were fully glued and screwed all the way down into the frame.

-Roof:  I used 1/2" plywood under a one piece rubber roof.  Super easy to install and 100% water proof.  I used termination bars on the edges to give it a clean look.

-Siding:  I used the Prorib steel tin from Menards.  I ran it horizontal(I think it looks a little better).  When its fully screwed down its nice and rigid.  Be carful when installing because it sharp.  Just ask me how I know haha.

-Insulation:  Again I used the 1.5" pink foam board pushed in between the studs.  I make sure its cut just slightly larger then the width of the studs so it fits tight.  I spray foam any gaps light around the windows and door.  I used the roll in fiberglass insulation for the roof.

-Wiring: I ran wiring for two 120 plugs so you can run a generator.  I also ran 12v wiring for the lights( 2 inside and 1 outside).  My uncle didn't want anything on the floor so I put the battery connections in the cabinet(cabinet was strengthened for the battery).

-Interior: I used lounge and groove for the ceiling and I came up 3.5ft on the walls.  I then used FRP for the rest of the walls.  It keeps it nice and bright and it easy to clean.  Also its light weight.  I installed a cabinet in the rear of the house that is 16" tall by 12" deep.  I wanted to make it large enough to fit a vexliar in it.  I stained all the wood.  I used a natural stain to keep the wood nice and bright but also to protect the wood from any moisture.  If I had the time I wood also put a couple coats of poly on it but my uncle wants the house this weekend.  I put 6 holes in it.  I used catch covers for the hole covers.  He didn't want carpet it in either to keep it simple.  Simple is kind of the theme with this house.  He gave me the heater to install in it also.  Its just a basic vent free 10000BTU heater.

This was a fun project that I have been working on for the last 3 months.  This house weight in right around 2000lbs so its light and can easily be pulled around by a wheeler or side by side.  The total cost for the project was right around $3000.  That's with me getting deals on a lot of the stuff and always looking for deals so I probably saved close to a $1000.  If you got any questions I would be glad to answer them.

20190928_165527.jpg

20191024_191817.jpg

20191024_191831.jpg

20191024_191846.jpg

20191024_191858.jpg

20191024_191936.jpg

20191024_191942.jpg

20191024_191950.jpg

20191024_191959.jpg

20191024_192011.jpg

Edited by BunchOfish

Super nice! ?

He didn't want the table and benches in his like yours?  Are you doing anything with floor or just going with the ply? 

And where are all those running lights and the light over the door like you had?  I remember some discussion on the running lights on yours. ?

1 hour ago, nofishfisherman said:

Nicely done.  Sometimes simple is best.  

Now the question is what did you charge him for 3 months of labor?  If he walked away with that house for $3000 then he got a steal. 

Relative discount!  ?

On 10/25/2019 at 7:58 AM, leech~~ said:

Super nice! ?

He didn't want the table and benches in his like yours?  Are you doing anything with floor or just going with the ply? 

And where are all those running lights and the light over the door like you had?  I remember some discussion on the running lights on yours. ?

He just wanted the plywood floor and its got full led running lights like mine.  I think i posted a picture of it awhile back. 

On 10/25/2019 at 9:49 AM, nofishfisherman said:

Nicely done.  Sometimes simple is best.  

Now the question is what did you charge him for 3 months of labor?  If he walked away with that house for $3000 then he got a steal. 

He definitely got a good deal on this house. I still made pretty good money on it but if i had to do another I'd charge a bit more.

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 12:53 AM, nyladnorman said:

Great setup you've done there. 

Thanks!  It turned out great.  My 2 favorite parts about it, are that its nice and bright and its so open.  For a 6.5 x 12ft house you could easily fish 3 guys in it.

Awesome build! What kind of trim did you use on the exterior outside corners of the house? Is it two pieces of J trim butted together? Also what did you do where the siding meets the frame? Did you just run the siding down ontop of the frame a little bit?

Thanks.