• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fish House Build #2

BunchOfish

15 hours ago, 1lessdog said:

Im looking at your stub shaft or pivot shaft. They look  real light to me. We have always ran a shaft from one side to the other and it was a 2 inch shaft with 5 .5 inch sticking out. Very little chance it will bend. A loaded house going  down a plowed lake road gets pretty rough.

Just my 2 cents

These are 1.25 Grade 8 bolts that are welded through the frame.  I'm a Mechanical designer so I have access to CAD software.  I have put my frames through simulations so I know where the weak points were before even building it.  This house all said and done should weigh in about 1800#. A 1.25 Grade 8 bolt has a shear strength of about 100,000#.  The Frame will give about long before the bolts do.

18 hours ago, Hawg said:

Why not just foam the floor instead of insulate it? I think you would have a firmer floor. Did you use POR 15 or regular Rustolium type enamel? Just my 2 cents but I wish I would have used a regular house door instead of the traditional FH door, the stupid things always freeze up on a tight house as it's about the only place air comes in if you leave the heat on long enough. A vent or cracked window fixes that but they have their frost up problems too. 

I'm on a tight budget that's why I'm opting to use the pick foam board instead of the spray foam.  The flooring is going to be 3/4" ply so I'm not to concerned about stiffness in the floor.  I used Rustolium paint.  2 coats of primer and 3 coats of paint. 

9 hours ago, leech~~ said:

What-ch holding it up there with on the bottom side? 

Yup there are 4 inch wide tabs welded to the tubes.  I also cut the foam a little wide and wedged it in.  I will also apply adhesive to the top side when I lay the wood done so it will be attached to that too.

On 8/27/2019 at 6:25 AM, BunchOfish said:

These are 1.25 Grade 8 bolts that are welded through the frame.  I'm a Mechanical designer so I have access to CAD software.  I have put my frames through simulations so I know where the weak points were before even building it.  This house all said and done should weigh in about 1800#. A 1.25 Grade 8 bolt has a shear strength of about 100,000#.  The Frame will give about long before the bolts do.

Im a machinist and seen lots of bent stuff. And fixed lots of them. Yes them grade 8 bolts have shear strength. I have seen 2 inch stub shafts bend on fishhouses.. Your house will weight 1800 lbs then add all the stuff you put in it and your up to 2300 lbs easy. Then bounce across a lake and the top of the house is swaying one to two feet back and forth. Pulling a house across the lake is hard on them.

After welding on them and getting them red hot will take a lot of the strength out of them.

Edited by 1lessdog

3 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Looks good.  Well you may not get back out of much open water this year. But your Uncle will hit the ice on time! ?

Yeah that's alright with me.  I don't really do much fall fishing anyways as I got deer hunting on my mind.  I could probably put my boat away now if I really wanted too. 

11 minutes ago, Hawg said:

You still have time for a front and back window. Worth a thought?

Yup I have brought up the idea of it to my uncle but he said he didn't need it.  I stressed the idea that I wish I would have put a third window in my house but he still said he didn't want it.  It's easier for me this way so I'm not complaining haha!

1 hour ago, BunchOfish said:

Yup I have brought up the idea of it to my uncle but he said he didn't need it.  I stressed the idea that I wish I would have put a third window in my house but he still said he didn't want it.  It's easier for me this way so I'm not complaining haha!

Did you remind him it's hard to watch for the Wardens without a window on all sides? Some times those bast-ards are sneaky! ?

2 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Did you remind him it's hard to watch for the Wardens without a window on all sides? Some times those bast-ards are sneaky! ?

Well I didn't say that but I did say that its nice to be able to put tip ups all around you that you can see from inside the house.  I guess he doesn't tip up fish.

I got the tin on order last night and managed to get the windows installed but no pictures because it was pretty dark when I finished up.  This weekend I plan to get the door installed and hopefully get the plywood on the roof and maybe if the weather works out I'll get the rubber installed.