• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fish House Build #2

BunchOfish

After building my first wheel house back in the spring my uncle liked it so much that now he wants me to build him one.  It will basically be the same build as my first one but with some interior changes.  6.5 x 12 drop down wheel house.  I'm excited that I get to build another one and look forward to the next couple months.

frame.jpg

27 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Sell him your old one and keep the new one with all the improvements you wanted to make on the first one!  ?

I've thought about it but he doesn't want the table and bunk in his.

I got the frame home the other day from the shop and it pulled straight.  Its nice to know I did something right building it haha.  I got a little grinding to clean up the corners and nock down some sharp edges and then I can start prepping it for paint.  I always hate doing prep work but know its the only way the paint will last.  There is a ton of oil on this steel I got so I have some work ahead of me to clean it up.

So, your Uncle.  Is he close enough to come over and help grind?  ?

Or is he paying well enough to just sit back and wait for the finished product!! ??

Edited by leech~~

54 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

So, your Uncle.  Is he close enough to come over and help grind?  ?

Or is he paying well enough to just sit back and wait for the finished product!! ??

He's about 2 hrs from me but yeah I'm getting paid pretty good for building it.  I really don't have much to grind.  I'm Basically just cleaning up the 4 corners to give it a seamless look and nocking done the sharp edges like on the fender mounts and taking a few burrs off.  Any open tubes will get tube caps on them so I don't have to worry about them much. 

23 minutes ago, BunchOfish said:

He's about 2 hrs from me but yeah I'm getting paid pretty good for building it.  I really don't have much to grind.  I'm Basically just cleaning up the 4 corners to give it a seamless look and nocking done the sharp edges like on the fender mounts and taking a few burrs off.  Any open tubes will get tube caps on them so I don't have to worry about them much. 

How much do these BunchOfish houses cost?  They look nice and pretty well made.  May be I'll put in an order for one too!  ?

1 hour ago, leech~~ said:

How much do these BunchOfish houses cost?  They look nice and pretty well made.  May be I'll put in an order for one too!  ?

PM sent.  If I had the time and shop space to build them, I'd love to do it as a full time job. I'm shooting to have his done by thanksgiving.  It might be tight with bow season coming up.

Edited by BunchOfish

After a busy weekend of redoing my deck and fixing my truck I was able to start painting the frame Sunday night.  I this is the worst part to the whole build IMO.  The plan is to put down 2 coats of primer and 2-3 coats of paint over that.  Hopefully I will have it done by this weekend so I can insulate the floor and lay down some wood.  After that things will move along pretty quick.  I'm trying to get a large amount of work done before mid September because one bow season hits I will most likely sitting in the woods every weekend.

paint1.jpg

paint2.jpg

I managed to get the fenders and swing arm/axles primed last night while it was dumping rain.  Question for everyone,  I'm starting to look for an ice castle door.  Does anyone know where I might find one?  The one I used for my first build I found used.

Well painting is getting there.  The fenders and swing arm/axles are fully painted but I only managed to get about half of the frame painted.  I will get it finished up this week.  I have too because I have a large load of rock coming to finish my driveway expansion so I have a place to park my fish house this winter haha.

On 8/14/2019 at 7:37 AM, BunchOfish said:

I managed to get the fenders and swing arm/axles primed last night while it was dumping rain.  Question for everyone,  I'm starting to look for an ice castle door.  Does anyone know where I might find one?  The one I used for my first build I found used.

another place:   https://fishhousesupply.com/

On 8/23/2019 at 11:27 AM, BunchOfish said:

Painting is finally complete. Took longer then i thought it would.  Time to start laying down insulation and wood.

20190823_111745.jpg

20190823_111753.jpg

20190823_111804.jpg

Looks great. ?

I think a lot of folks don't take enough time getting their frame right, then they end up with a rusted, cracked mess with stuck drop downs or bent out axles in a few years! ?

Edited by leech~~

Why not just foam the floor instead of insulate it? I think you would have a firmer floor. Did you use POR 15 or regular Rustolium type enamel? Just my 2 cents but I wish I would have used a regular house door instead of the traditional FH door, the stupid things always freeze up on a tight house as it's about the only place air comes in if you leave the heat on long enough. A vent or cracked window fixes that but they have their frost up problems too. 

Edited by Hawg

Im looking at your stub shaft or pivot shaft. They look  real light to me. We have always ran a shaft from one side to the other and it was a 2 inch shaft with 5 .5 inch sticking out. Very little chance it will bend. A loaded house going  down a plowed lake road gets pretty rough.

Just my 2 cents

Edited by 1lessdog