• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I couldn't decide on a perfect fit for this subject, so this will have to be good enough. I recently ordered a powerful double sided magnet for retrieving metal objects from the bottom of the lake/river. I have talked to a few people over the years that 'fish' this way. I think it would work on some spots extremely well. Unfortunately a lot of things that I would like to 'catch' aren't magnetic. My GF once lost my St. Croix Mojo Musky rod with a Shimano 400B on it. I don't think that the magnet would retrieve this combo, the Musky Mayhem Supermodel attached to it could possibly be pulled to the surface though. Has anyone tried this style of 'habitat improvement', 'treasure hunting', or 'steel(head) fishing'? If so, what have you caught? If not, what did you drop and where? Coordinates??

I keep magnets on paracord with my spearing gear.  The magnets were salvaged from computers the IT department was scrapping.  They’re small and strong enough to pull a spear back up off the bottom.  They didn’t work on my buddy’s cell phone though!

Otherwise I don’t blind fish with em and thankfully haven’t had to use them much!

The last thing I fished out of the lake was my wife’s e cig with a rubber mesh landing net during memorial weekend.  I knew I had one chance and dug deep for it.  Brought up a bag full of mud and weeds but by god it was in there.  See dried it out and fired it back up. 1 motor smoker saved - for better or worse! ?

I have had two good size magnets with cord on them sitting in the garage ready to go for over a year. Just have not had a chance to get out and give them a throw somewhere. Lot of kool vids on the tube to watch.

I'll have to watch a video or two to get my brain in the magnet mode, once I get my magnet in the mail. I was already told about a high end spear in a nearby shallow lake and a shotgun in a deep local lake. There has also been historical newspaper articles about a couple meteorites that landed in a couple local lakes.. I probably won't find a dam thing worth my time but it would be nice to fish for something I can actually use instead of fish. But if I have an old jigging spoon, from the lake bottom, stuck to the magnet... Does that count as a fishing line??

5 hours ago, delcecchi said:

I retrieved the allen wrench I dropped in the lake while tightening a set screw on the boat lift.   Does that count?   

Or sacrificing a door speaker to retrieve a pair of discontinued Snap On bent tip needle nose pliers some putz kicked down the hole?