• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

V 6 Spark Plug

Too much.

Are they that bad to DIY?

Ford dealer quoted me like $800-1000 for a 5.4 Triton in the f150.  Those are the plugs that have a tendency to break off.  I decided to do it myself and it took an afternoon but saved me about $750.  Fortunately none snapped, previous owner already replaced the plugs that like to snap.   They have a handy gadget to extract them if they snap for about $50, I was prepared to buy it.

It's pretty lame when car designers make things like changing plugs such an ordeal.  Exhaust manifolds, whatever sure, they are buried.  But come on... Plugs should be easily accessible without having to take off a million parts and there isn't a real good reason why they aren't.

I had plugs in a Subaru that you had to get out to underneath and with a special tool.

If it's a pita and you'd rather just have it done, I would look elsewhere than the dealer.  I feel like the dealer is for warranty repairs.  I usually go to the local shop.  Call around.  

Edited by bobbymalone

seen under the hood of a semi recently. for the most part you can no longer see the engine its so covered in garbage. then again the climate we live in up here doesn't help either with the salt bath. 

Edited by vaportrail

On 7/6/2019 at 2:44 PM, bobbymalone said:

It's pretty lame when car designers make things like changing plugs such an ordeal.  Exhaust manifolds, whatever sure, they are buried.  But come on... Plugs should be easily accessible without having to take off a million parts and there isn't a real good reason why they aren't.

I had plugs in a Subaru that you had to get out to underneath and with a special tool.

If it's a pita and you'd rather just have it done, I would look elsewhere than the dealer.  I feel like the dealer is for warranty repairs.  I usually go to the local shop.  Call around.  

While the price of repairs are a PITA, I don't remember the good old days as fondly as some people do.

Cars were easier to work on but oil was changed at 2000 miles, bias ply tires were good for 15000 to 20000 miles, points & plugs were every 3rd oil change, road shoulders were littered with exhaust parts, there were a lot more broken down vehicles to see on the highway  shoulder on long trips and vehicles were used up at 100,000 miles.

On 7/9/2019 at 8:46 PM, Pat K said:

While the price of repairs are a PITA, I don't remember the good old days as fondly as some people do.

Cars were easier to work on but oil was changed at 2000 miles, bias ply tires were good for 15000 to 20000 miles, points & plugs were every 3rd oil change, road shoulders were littered with exhaust parts, there were a lot more broken down vehicles to see on the highway  shoulder on long trips and vehicles were used up at 100,000 miles.

True Dat

And they got carp for gas mileage.   And rusted out in only a few years.