• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

So sad to see so much road kill this time of year.  Driving around the Brainerd area this weekend and on the ride home I must have saw at least 45+ dead Deer along sides of the roads!  Lots of Doe's not going back to their fawns! 😟

7 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

So sad to see so much road kill this time of year.  Driving around the Brainerd area this weekend and on the ride home I must have saw at least 45+ dead Deer along sides of the roads!  Lots of Doe's not going back to their fawns! 😟

I hear ya leech. it stinks. been seeing the same thing, even on 94. I was told once that a lot of them could be last years young that the does kicked out with the youngins just around the corner!!!!!!!!

2 minutes ago, smurfy said:

I hear ya leech. it stinks. been seeing the same thing, even on 94. I was told once that a lot of them could be last years young that the does kicked out with the youngins just around the corner!!!!!!!!

That may be but I was seeing all sizes of Deer. You can tell the ones that must get hit by a Semi because it's just a hide and head left! 😯

15 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

That may be but I was seeing all sizes of Deer. You can tell the ones that must get hit by a Semi because it's just a hide and head left! 😯

Or just a big smear mark on the tar!

2 hours ago, smurfy said:

I was told once that a lot of them could be last years young that the does kicked out with the youngins just around the corner!!!!!!!!

That makes sense.  

I’ve been seeing a huge uptick in numbers of deer sighted while driving around the Brainerd area in the past couple weeks.  It all coincides with new fawns on their feet and the mosquito horde getting lively.  Sounds like enough to get em a little confused!

I almost hit two and my SIL hit one spike buck (killed it) and brushed the other one that was with it.  Bummer.  Yah, there’s a lot of em laying around now.

3 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Shouldn't we be focusing on teaching them to use the deer crossing signs?

8 hours ago, PurpleFloyd said:

Shouldn't we be focusing on teaching them to use the deer crossing signs?

sounds like something a blond would say they would be from California to boot!!!!!  too funny!!!!!

this morning driving from hwy 23 to monticello there where 6 dead deer just in that stretch!!!!!!!!!!😣:wacko:

I was wheeling up along 169 between Princeton and Malaca this past weekend and I bet every quarter mile or so there was something dead in the ditch.  You wouldn't always see it but you could for sure smell it.  A guy smoked one with this truck right in front of me on my way into work this morning.  Maybe its just me but it seems a lot worse this year then in years past.  It bums me out seeing so many dead animals all over the roads.

Just got a text from the SIL - the other buck he “brushed” when he hit the spike is now laying dead next our driveway.  What the heck... 😟

We’ve been hoping the neighborhood would get re-populated after last year’s FA season slaughter.  They’ve been coming back in this spring but apparently it’s these youngins that don’t really know what they’re doing or where they’re going!

PSA: Slow down and pay attention in deer country - especially now!

seen several on the way to Alex and back, 50 miles round trip...  yup pay attention!!!

Hmm. I drove up to Alex yesterday and back to Mayberry tonight after our trap shooting was over and it didn't seem that bad to me. I think there are as many or more in the southern part where they are getting pushed out of the rivers, creeks and sloughs from all the rain and flooding. 

I'm sure it depends on where you  are and what has happened too, as you say...  did ya take 15 up to 94 or another route?

Posted (edited)

HWY 55 from Plymouth to Buffalo has been a blood bath of dead deer in the last month.  Not just deer either. I've seen a lot of foxes and coyote's dead.

Edited by BunchOfish

5 hours ago, Mike89 said:

I'm sure it depends on where you  are and what has happened too, as you say...  did ya take 15 up to 94 or another route?

15 up. 29-55-4 back down. 

1 hour ago, PurpleFloyd said:

15 up. 29-55-4 back down. 

good roads to see wild life too...  

Scavengers need to eat too..

This last weekend I saw the most conscientious deer ever. Looked both ways a couple times and crossed at the best possible moment. Better than most people.

10 minutes ago, 1968 said:

Scavengers need to eat too..

This last weekend I saw the most conscientious deer ever. Looked both ways a couple times and crossed at the best possible moment. Better than most people.

Scavengers can eat Lead!  As far as I'm concerned! 😕

1968, seen one like that today except it went back!!!  LOL!!! 

this deer had black ears and tail too???  kinda wondering.....

The higher the population the more that get hit by cars.    That, in fact, is one of the factors that the DNR says they use when deciding on population targets.   After all, every one of those dead deer is a vehicle repair bill as well as a possible serious injury to the folks in the car.    

I understand the DNR casts a wider net than my neighborhood but for us since November, we went from 18 to 0 in 2 weeks till April this year.  1, then 3, 5 and now back to 3 in June.  It took 3 years to go from 6 or so to 18.

Hope they keep coming in but I’m not holding my breath for many more “new” resident deer.  So, I get what you’re saying Del but I’m not on board with overpopulation being the problem at MY place.  Young deer and a possible lack of attention are getting my betting money

16 hours ago, delcecchi said:

The higher the population the more that get hit by cars.    That, in fact, is one of the factors that the DNR says they use when deciding on population targets.   After all, every one of those dead deer is a vehicle repair bill as well as a possible serious injury to the folks in the car.    

If that is the case then I should be able to shoot a crazy amount of deer this fall.  I see a new dead one almost everyday on my drive to and from work.  I passed one standing right on the edge of the road this morning on my way to work.  Lucky it turned around and took off back into the woods.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, smurfy said:

seen my first fawn dead on the road. 94 no less not far from clearwater.

That part of 94 to Monti is bad for road kills! 🙁

Edited by leech~~

On 6/12/2019 at 2:44 PM, delcecchi said:

Although I agree,  a higher deer population comes with more collisions. 

Ever increasing speed, inattentive driving, and less and less dirt roads have lead to more in my opinion.

Reaction time is paramount to Avoiding deer car collisions.