• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rare Dogfish

34 minutes ago, Mike89 said:

it's from fertilizer in the lakes!!!!!!!!!!!   LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

and yes they do fight!!!!!!!!!

more like they are fertilizer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Meh, they don't cause no trouble in the lake, all part of a balanced ecosystem.  I know people want the lake to be nothing but stocked walleye though 

They turn blue green like that when they are spawning.  That one is a dandy though.

Edited by bobbymalone

8 hours ago, tacklejunkie said:

Are they edible? I mean, I suppose any fish can be edible if beer battered enough or smoked but do people normally eat them?

they are not bad smoked...  

the aitkin DNR fisheries told me that its spawning colors, just a lot brighter than normal. and yes it did give a great fight. the only way to land these things is a net, as the fish is round, and almost impossible to grasp.?

Caught several of them in the past years. Put one in wheel barrow in the evening and that night we got enough rain to put about 2" of water in it and the next day it was swimming around in it. ?Felt sorry for it and put it back where I caught it from. Figured it deserved to live.

someone near to me caught one, and had it on shore for 2 hours, let it go and it swam away. I have heard that this fish can breath out of the water, they sometimes will surface to take a gulp of air.

Edited by knoppers

9 hours ago, bobbymalone said:

IMO bowfin is probably one of the easiest state records to break. 

I think there are lots of record rough fish that get caught and people don't even know it. I think my son may have caught a state record goldeye about 7 years ago but I didn't even know what it was at the time so we took a picture and threw it back.