• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any Smoked Salmon Recipes Hangin Round

2 hours ago, x1957x said:

Got some king salmon i caught and cut in 8" pieces filleted with skin on i want to smoke. Need a easy recipe and what kind of wood do i use?

I'd use apple wood.

As far as recipes--go to the top right to the search box and type in smoked fish brine, you can then pick and choose a recipe.

8 hours ago, Juneau4 said:

I'd use apple wood.

As far as recipes--go to the top right to the search box and type in smoked fish brine, you can then pick and choose a recipe.

I am smoking a laker and this is a very simple brine mix that I got from Surface Tension (Frank). I like it.

1 cup non iodized salt

1 cup brown sugar

1 gallon water

Soak over night.

Rinse,  pat dry and let air dry.

On 5/31/2019 at 7:57 AM, chaffmj said:

I am smoking a laker and this is a very simple brine mix that I got from Surface Tension (Frank). I like it.

1 cup non iodized salt

1 cup brown sugar

1 gallon water

Soak over night.

Rinse,  pat dry and let air dry.

You ever consider adding soy sauce and Worcester sauce?? 

17 hours ago, smurfy said:

My brine I use is

2 qts water

1 cup pickling salt

Soy sauce

Worcester sauce

Then I add whatever spiced I feel like.

Are we spose to guess on the amount of soy and Worcester sauce????? ? I've been a dry brine kinda fella, but I'll hafta try da wet next time I stop at the salmon pond..  

2 hours ago, bobberineyes said:

Are we spose to guess on the amount of soy and Worcester sauce????? ? I've been a dry brine kinda fella, but I'll hafta try da wet next time I stop at the salmon pond..  

Pretty much what I do

Based on the water color. Soy sauce to turn water dark, I'd guess 1/4 to half cup and about  1/8 cup Worcester.

I have found personally that salmon is so flavorful and so moist that for me there is no good reason to brine. 

I just slap the pieces on a cedar plank (keeps the salmon from drying out) and apply a liberal coating of some sweet salmon seasoning like the one pictured below and grill them in my overpriced pellet grill at about 300 degrees. 

20190604_083130.jpg

20190329_173120.jpg

I've found nothing better than a simple dry brine, you can find this one demonstrated on the web.

1 Cup Kosher Salt

4 Cups Brown Sugar

If you need more, then just make more in in these proportions.  Pack the mixture around the salmon (skin side down) in a glass or plastic container, covering it completely - like you're burying it in sand a the beach.  You should see no part of the fish.  Let it sit in the fridge overnight.  The next day it will be completely transformed.  All the moisture will have been drawn out of the fish and it will be sitting in a pool of thick, sticky syrup.  Don't rise, rather just scrape off the extra Sugar/Salt with your hands, leaving the fish still coated with a sticky layer.  Let it sit on a rack to dry for a few hours - I even put a fan on it (it's now cured so it wont spoil at room temp).  Smoke with Apple or Alder, I tend to do it hot - maybe 280 deg until the internal temp hits 150.  You can go a lot cooler and smoke longer if you have time.  Heat up some honey in a pot on the stove so it's viscous and brush it on the salmon the last half hour or so.  Pull it out and sprinkle with fresh cracked pepper.  Let cool and then serve or vac-package and freeze.

This stuff is amazing, I gave it as gifts this Christmas and got some great reviews.  The honey glaze and pepper is the key to a great finish.  Very simple process.