• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Strong Finish.

DonBo

Wisconsin delivers again. Buddy Dave and I shot a nice double the second day of our season. Plenty of action and lots of gobbling the first few days, then it got tougher. We left with three filled tags, two unpunched.

Spent the following weekend mentoring a lady for the Becoming an Outdoor Woman program. Maybe my favorite hunt of the year. We didn't get her a bird, but had some incredibly great shows including six big toms coming in together only to be frightened off by a coyote.

Then with just one more chance in Minnesota, I couldn't pass on this Jake that stood at just 12 yards.  Three birds in three states is not a bad season in anyone's book.

Bring on the fishing season!

IMG_20190511_080126905_HDR.jpg

6494.jpeg

IMG_20190520_201147827.jpg

Great Finish to a great season. I am trying to quit but my son keeps dragging me out of bed at 3:45 AM. It is ok as I really enjoy watching the world wake up sitting in a blind sipping on Coffee. 2 more mornings to go!

My son has killed three Toms now in three years, with each subsequent bird shot a little later in the day.   10:30 AM, 3 PM and 8 PM.   Morning is certainly more entertaining if they are gobbling, but I have found evenings are less taxing on a school aged kids.   Hunt in a blind and they can even do home work.

If you are able to pattern the birds, the odds of success improves - but they are turkeys so nothing is a guarantee. ;)

Shot mine a little before 8pm on Monday.  Slept in and got a pile of projects done.  Due to commitments it was my last opportunity to tag one.  Saw a few stutters but not any gobbling.  This one skirted my setup but got just close enough to take a ride in my truck. ?

33529.jpeg

I thought the birds in MN ran pressured or stale most of the season.   Past couple years they were much more responsive to calling (decoy or no decoy).   This year some nice Toms seemed very decoy shy.  Son's wet bird was shot at the end of Season E ... 8 PM at night, steady rain, and very windy.   Came in very slow and quiet.

Son's wet bird.   

image.png.6f62ea72619d5f2008b28b1eeee9943e.png

I did not get out until "E" again.  Last year was done at sunrise first day, this year it took longer (last day of season F).  I hunt a different zone/area than when I am with my son (outskirts of metro).  This year the birds in my area just were not around in normal numbers or not very vocal even on the roost.  Will admit I did not work extra ordinarily hard the days I was out.  Just can't run & gun like I used to ... especially when the woods run rather silent at dawn.

My last day bird

image.png.a41f0da76819992012483ebd6e47cfca.png

Saw plenty of hens about - so that bodes well if the weather dries up and stays mild in temp.

Few jakes seen.

Most Toms running solo this year.  Last year they were more often in pairs if not larger groups.   I have found that generally speaking there is nothing easier to bring in than a pair or trio of toms or jakes.

Edited by brittman