• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Tackle Shop In Elk River!

ozzie

Noticed a new tackle shop in Elk River the other week and found time to stop in and look things over.  DH Custom Rods & Tackle North.  Bought a few items and felt the selection was decent as they have items that I can't find at the revamped (imo crappy) Cabela's fishing section!  Nice to see a tackle shop to replace Ebner's.  Give them a look as we all know if you don't support your local bait n tackle shop they won't be there long!! 

I'll have to check it out as I drive through there quite a bit.  I'm with you on the Cabelas thing.  Its not the same as it use to be and I just don't like shopping there anymore.  I could spend hours in baits shops sometimes and probably spend a little too much too haha!  There's just something about buying gear from a real bait & tackle shop that I really enjoy.

They have a good assortment of bobby garland crappie plastics, bunch of bass jigs and plastics, bunch of rapala's, VMC products!, bait, rods, reels and assortment of line.  They didn't have all the shelves filled yet but they are working on it with vendors or something like that...Good Luck!

Good old Ebner's, they were there forever. I use to go there with my Dad right when they opened in the mornings back when I was like 12 years old, a long time ago! ?

As far as Cabela's I'm just waiting for the day they change them all to BassPro shops!  ?

7 hours ago, leech~~ said:

As far as Cabela's I'm just waiting for the day they change them all to BassPro shops!  ?

The only thing left to do there is change the signs.

I’m in the process of closing out my club card and burning up the last of my points and gift cards.  It’s been a struggle for me to spend “free” money there for almost a year now.  They never have what I’m looking for.  It’s gotten to the point I won’t risk driving there to see if they have what I want so I try calling.  4 long ring/no answer sessions so far.  Gonna have to finish my business with them on line I guess.

2 hours ago, BunchOfish said:

My prediction is the Cabelas name wont exist in 5 years.  It will get changed to Bass Pro.  I will now spend my money either at tackle shops or Fleet farms.

I bet you're right about Cabelas. As for Fleet Farm, I've been really disappointed in the Lakeville location lately. Over the past year their prices have gone up, they are often out of the item I'm looking for, and they usually are understaffed at the checkout lines.  Perhaps it's just that one store, but I kinda doubt it. Hope they turn it around because I used to love FF and I'm starting to head to other stores now.

4 hours ago, BunchOfish said:

My prediction is the Cabelas name wont exist in 5 years.  It will get changed to Bass Pro.  I will now spend my money either at tackle shops or Fleet farms.

I'm surprised by how much they have merged things together, like a single flyer for sales and whatnot.

I thought the usual way to do this was to maintain two separate brands, to provide the illusion of competition, even though it's really just one place.  

I could give a rat's arse what they want to call it, just give me the best prices and put what I want on the shelf and I'll throw my money there if you call it Cabela's or Bass Pro.

2 hours ago, Getanet said:

I bet you're right about Cabelas. As for Fleet Farm, I've been really disappointed in the Lakeville location lately. Over the past year their prices have gone up, they are often out of the item I'm looking for, and they usually are understaffed at the checkout lines.  Perhaps it's just that one store, but I kinda doubt it. Hope they turn it around because I used to love FF and I'm starting to head to other stores now.

yeah, that lakeville FF has been going downhill.  Still, if I need some tackle or something, I'm more likely to go there than across the street.

6 hours ago, Wanderer said:

The only thing left to do there is change the signs.

I’m in the process of closing out my club card and burning up the last of my points and gift cards.  It’s been a struggle for me to spend “free” money there for almost a year now.  They never have what I’m looking for.  It’s gotten to the point I won’t risk driving there to see if they have what I want so I try calling.  4 long ring/no answer sessions so far.  Gonna have to finish my business with them on line I guess.

I didn't think there ever was such a thing as too many shells! Just saying.

It won’t take 5 years to change the signs, IMO.  2 tops and my money is on 1 more.  I did just get offered a club member deal on a “vintage” Cabela’s cap when I tied placing my order.  The thoughts that went through my head... ?

Yes, tried to place my order; use up the last of my points and move on.  Oops, system error, we can’t access your points at this time.  I can see em there, just can’t touch em.  OK, I’ll call back another time. ?

Still can’t spend money there when I try...

14 minutes ago, smurfy said:

i drive by Ebners place everyday, well most every workday!!!!!! i best look tonight. is this new bait shop taking over at the Ebners old place???????

the new bait shop is on 169 north over by Sammy's Pizza, Chanticlear Pizza, and Play it Again Sports. 

31 minutes ago, ozzie said:

the new bait shop is on 169 north over by Sammy's Pizza, Chanticlear Pizza, and Play it Again Sports. 

HMMMMMM there's a Sammy's pizza in elk river.......... i gotta go!!!!!!! they closed the one in st cloud/waite park!!!!!! 

I was at the Rogers cabela’s last Friday and was completely disappointed! They literally didn’t have anything! My brother-in-law is trying to get into fishing, had an unlimited budget, and wanted me to pick out a bunch of tackle for him. I maybe got about 1/3 of what I wanted. 

Fleet farm has been disappointing lately also. Or maybe it’s just Rapala that’s going downhill? I can’t even find what I want on their site anymore!

Edited by JBMasterAngler

Out of stuff, or not stocking it?  

The proliferation of choices recently has been staggering, and the stores only have so much space.   The Rochester FF has more space than ever for fishing stuff, but looks like rapala got squeezed a little.

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 10:13 AM, Getanet said:

The new fleet Farm up in Monticello is decent.  They have a nice size fishing department but lack in other things like hunting and camping stuff. 

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 11:11 AM, JBMasterAngler said:

I was at the Rogers cabela’s last Friday and was completely disappointed! They literally didn’t have anything! My brother-in-law is trying to get into fishing, had an unlimited budget, and wanted me to pick out a bunch of tackle for him. I maybe got about 1/3 of what I wanted. 

Fleet farm has been disappointing lately also. Or maybe it’s just Rapala that’s going downhill? I can’t even find what I want on their site anymore!

One thing I noticed when I was in there a few weeks ago is it seems like they have ten isles of plastics.  I understand plastics are a big deal now but how many different brands do you really need?  I feel it has pushed other products out and that's probably why they don't have much stuff now.  They are pushing the bass fishing to the extreme.  Well I'm sorry to tell you this but this is Minnesota which is know for its walleye fishing.  Wouldn't you think you would try and match that demographic and not bass?

Edited by BunchOfish

9 hours ago, BunchOfish said:

Well I'm sorry to tell you this but this is Minnesota which is know for its walleye fishing.  Wouldn't you think you would try and match that demographic and not bass?

Agreed but Johnny must see it differently. Bass do have a good yankee following though.

I figured he has his partner companies that have national contracts with BPS and you get what they got.

Still had problems with placing my order on Tuesday but they said they’d process and ship anyway.  Should have my stuff tomorrow.  We’ll see.

On 5/25/2019 at 11:11 AM, JBMasterAngler said:

One thing I found out that the new ownership of Fleet Farm is doing. Is only buying and stocking so much of any seasonal item and once their gone they are not reordering.  So a seasonal buy on Rapala's or any item and that's it until next season, no reorder, no restock!

Edited by leech~~

7 hours ago, leech~~ said:

One thing I found out that the new ownership of Fleet Farm is doing. Is only buying and stocking so much of any seasonal item and once their gone they are not reordering.  So a seasonal buy on Rapala's or any item and that's it until next season, no reorder, no restock!

I think that the original owners did the same thing.  Now maybe the new owners are being more conservative on ordering, but letting stock at least run down in the off season is only rational.   

On 5/30/2019 at 8:30 AM, WinnerDinner said:

Any fishing shop around my parts has nothing that I would like. I usually get anything fishing or hunting related from Amazon these days...

Be a long drive for you to get to Cabela's or Fleet Farm.....