• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wi Turkey Hunt

Hoyt4

We finished up the seasons with 3 great birds. All 3 had 1 1/4 spurs 11 inch beards and one with 11.5. Two birds weighing in at 23 lbs and the other 22. This year we had gobbling like in the past . These last 5 years has been very minimal gobbling if none at all some years. This year was similar to when we started hunting these farms. The high predator population is why i think they do not gobble as much. Even this spring had a yote mess up a bird walking right in to me he was in killing distance but I was liking the show so let him keep coming my error. Yote came running in and chased him off :(. But we did end up shooting this bird Friday morning. So he only was saved once.

See what happens this weekend. I'm supposed to take a buddy out hunting in MN but if that falls through maybe make one more run to WI.

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190517060852379_COVER.jpg

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190517061223198_COVER.jpg

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190517065033414_COVER.jpg

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190517061145332_COVER.jpg

Resized952019051595132113.jpg

244301820.png

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190516202610122_COVER.jpg

going4it

All the seasons are great as long as you are in the Turkey woods. I hunt E in WI for the last 18 years and we have success and great hunts.

If you want there should be extra tags when they do the surplus sale of the tags. You can pick up a 2nd even 3rd. You can buy one a day until gone.

On 1/5/2021 at 12:27 PM, Hoyt4 said:

going4it

All the seasons are great as long as you are in the Turkey woods. I hunt E in WI for the last 18 years and we have success and great hunts.

If you want there should be extra tags when they do the surplus sale of the tags. You can pick up a 2nd even 3rd. You can buy one a day until gone.

Tried this at 1 this afternoon and all sold out already. Guess I should have checked at 10 when they went on sale 

We've always applied for C season and always drawn.  Not this year.  There were 160,000 more applicants this year than last, wow.  Got online for a leftover for D season at 10:30 the day they went on sale and there were only 3 left (out of something like 600).  Whew.  Also got an E season tag, but not sure if I'll get to use it or not. 

Lot's of folks hunting more close to home then traveling to other states.  Just like Resorts. Lot's of MN resorts reporting near 100% booked already for this summer because people are not traveling out of state or country as much yet.

Question on turkey hunting. I’ll be hunting a piece that is surrounded by ridges bottom is open pasture and crops. I’m guessing best to hunt the open fields mornings. Then where do you go? Top of the ridges? Bottom of ridges? Middle? Just trying to put a plan together. Any information would be great. 

12 hours ago, going4it said:

Question on turkey hunting. I’ll be hunting a piece that is surrounded by ridges bottom is open pasture and crops. I’m guessing best to hunt the open fields mornings. Then where do you go? Top of the ridges? Bottom of ridges? Middle? Just trying to put a plan together. Any information would be great. 

Hard to say exactly but yes, I like to hunt the open fields in the morning.  Turkeys love running the tops of those ridges and that would be a great place to hunt mid day or certainly in the evenings as they most likely will roost up top.

15 hours ago, going4it said:

In this picture were we hunt. I pulled a nice Tom out of the far right of the field tree line edge in the morning one year.

The next year nothing happening on the field edges. Climbed straight up the side of the hill and took a nice 10" beard Tom as he fanned and strutted quietly down an old road around noon on top.  It's a craap shoot, it's where they want to be. Good Luck. 

IMG_0933.JPG

Edited by leech~~