• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Went out and checked my spots.  Looks like things are going to be a little late this year. Not much ground cover growing yet and a bit cold for fungus development.  

This week of 70 degrees could get the ooze evolving!  😄

I managed to find 1 in Hubbard county on the 13th. I went to Todd yesterday and all I found was 2 pails of Ramps. No mushrooms to be found and no asparagus either. Probably the 3 inches of snow they got last weekend's fault. We did get a little shot of rain last night too. Trillium's are coming up slowly but they are not budding yet. The marsh marigold's are just starting as well.

2 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Do you find black morels up there in Hubbard? 

Never mind. I asked you the same question in the Morels 2018 thread it looks like! 😀

image.thumb.png.581e46180653a6804b556bd4ae45997e.png

Last weekend was a bust for me, some local guys I ran into had some though.  I expect it to improve this weekend with the warmer temps in the area I will be checking. 

37 minutes ago, Cheetah said:

Last weekend was a bust for me, some local guys I ran into had some though.  I expect it to improve this weekend with the warmer temps in the area I will be checking. 

Lilacs are blooming here so it's getting close! 🙂

1 hour ago, leech~~ said:

Lilacs are blooming here so it's getting close! 🙂

the leaves are just coming out here!!   blooming will be some time later!!!!👍

No luck with morels near La Crosse these past few days.  Found some ramps and lots of pheasant back / Dryad saddle.  

I'm going to hit it hard looking this week. I promised batter fried Morels for Memorial day lunch with the smoked pulled pork I made. 😬

1 hour ago, leech~~ said:

I'm going to hit it hard looking this week. I promised batter fried Morels for Memorial day lunch with the smoked pulled pork I made. 😬

could be interesting for ya!!!!!!!

Not a lot but found some nice Morels and Pheasant backs.

Batter fried shrooms for memorial day weekend up at the lake!  😋

DSCN3744.JPG

Posted (edited)

Ok.... So I have to admit that this is something that I have been somewhat fascinated with, but no absolutely nothing about. Here are my main questions...

• Is there a "Shroom Finding for Dummies" book or something similar that a pure novice myself can pick up?
  • I have read a lot of posts on here that talk about "my spots".... Do morels typical come back the same place every year, or is it just because of the general climate conditions in that "spot"
  • Follow on question.... If they come back the same exact spot, what sort of care is needed when harvesting?
  • Cleaning and prepping.... what are the steps? I assume that it is different for each specific variety of mushroom?
  • What sort of "season" are we looking at? Obviously based on facebook sales posts, the morels are ready now... how long does it last and what about the other varieties?
  • Exactly how dangerous is it for me if I "think" it is one variety and ends up being harmful? Truthfully, this is one of the main items that has stopped me from taking a trek out into the woods.

Thanks in advance for letting a newbie in on the trade secrets

Edited by rl_sd

Seen  the guy again yesterday & asked him if he was finding many & he replied that he thought they were just about done down here already.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, rl_sd said:

Ok.... So I have to admit that this is something that I have been somewhat fascinated with, but no absolutely nothing about. Here are my main questions...

• Is there a "Shroom Finding for Dummies" book or something similar that a pure novice myself can pick up?
  • I have read a lot of posts on here that talk about "my spots".... Do morels typical come back the same place every year, or is it just because of the general climate conditions in that "spot"  Yes but not always the same spot. Where ever the spores landed from the year before in the general area.  
  • Follow on question.... If they come back the same exact spot, what sort of care is needed when harvesting?  Same as above, you are not picking the same plant as it were. It's a fungus growing from air born spores. They will keep growing in that area until the environment or nutrients in the ground change.  My two spots are producing less each year because the woods is changing. Most of the dead falls from a storm about 7 years ago are all but gone. 
  • Cleaning and prepping.... what are the steps? I assume that it is different for each specific variety of mushroom? For Morel's I soak them in cold water for about 20mins or more, cut them in half and dry them on paper towels then bag them and freeze them.  There are all kinds of thoughts on this subject. Pheasant backs I just wipe a little with a damp paper towel. 
  • What sort of "season" are we looking at? Obviously based on facebook sales posts, the morels are ready now... how long does it last and what about the other varieties?  I have always found mine in May. And this year they were about a week late. 
  • Exactly how dangerous is it for me if I "think" it is one variety and ends up being harmful? Truthfully, this is one of the main items that has stopped me from taking a trek out into the woods. See pictures below. They always say "If it's hollow you can swallow"  "If its not throw them out!"   

Thanks in advance for letting a newbie in on the trade secrets   

See above.  Since your in South Dakota not really sure where to start?  Check this out.  I would get out there now.  Good Luck.  🙂

https://www.southdakotamagazine.com/morel-mushrooms

image.png.7d1883391b73ada08f3ae4ca95297800.png

Edited by leech~~

Picked about 5 pounds this morning in about 2.5 hr. And 3 pounds after work last night. My spots are good for 1 year and that's it. I have to find new spots each year. My prep is easy weigh out a pound and put in a bag, then repeat. I am not a fan of eating them. But I don't mind the "mushroom money"! 

From the little bit I’ve researched morel harvesting, back when I actually DID hunt them, the common advice was to not over-harvest a spot, cut with a knife above the ground, and carry in a mesh bag so spores can disperse a little while you’re hauling them out of the woods.

It always seemed to make sense to me.

That sounds all fine and dandy, but it is NOT the way it works... MOREL 101--If it was that easy there would be morel farms. I picked 7+ pounds today in 2 hours, 95% were within 50 yds of each other. All were probably from the same organism that 'lives' under the surface, when it is damaged from a disturbance in the soil AND it's symbiotic 'friend' (tree) is killed, the massive organism produces fruits (morels). The ones you leave behind simply dry up and sprinkling spores all over the country side is not going to make them grow everywhere. I know why my spots are only good for a year, wouldn't matter if any shrooms were harvested or not. I already know where I will be picking them next year!! I've developed a successful pattern😉 P.S. if anybody wants any I have filled my orders and have a fridge full again.

Is anyone still finding any morels out there in MN? I am thinking that it's about time to start fishing again.

It was a decent season considering the late start. Harvested just under 60 pounds in a few weeks!!IMG_20190523_215859223.thumb.jpg.f184c843c55ba643b879ae5637fff0e2.jpgIMG_20190523_214838707.thumb.jpg.4c0d2f1cc3c3bfc493190d770be46f7b.jpg20170429_191102.thumb.jpg.2e82fd0b7094eef7bdfba9ee04531e34.jpg

20170503_192129.jpg

I think shes done! 

Looks like your had a great season. 

Hubbard huum. I know that area well, I'll have to run up there may be next spring! 😀

I tell people, who buy from me, the area I get them as well as what to look for, if they ask. But for some reason they all buy from me again the next year. My 6 month old GSD was pretty good at locating patches of them, even left a few untrampled by the time I got to her.