• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Squirrels

couple pics from today. I would say at least half of the grays around here have some red in the tails. the red squirrel doesnt come to the feeders often.  the grays do too much. LOL wife texted me yesturday that she saw another black yesturday downtown. 

56.jpg

56a.jpg

The Fox Squirrel (or Eastern Fox Squirrel) and the Gray Squirrel (also known the Eastern* Gray Squirrel) are rodents in the family Sciuridae. Their suborder, Sciurinae, includes other tree squirrels, as well as ground squirrels, chipmunks, and marmots. There are 10 subspecies of Fox Squirrels and five of Gray Squirrels.

Fox Squirrels spend much of their time on the ground searching for food and prefer woodlands next to openings. They’re tolerant of prairie-type environments. Gray Squirrels prefer dense stands of trees. The two generally don’t share the same habitat, but when they do, they don’t interbreed. They have home territories of a few acres, where they spend their entire lives. You may have several squirrels living in your yard in overlapping territories.

1 hour ago, eyeguy 54 said:

both gray and fox can have a black appear but not from hanky panky with each other in the trees. 

Dang.  Better story with the hanky panky but I’ll live. ?

3 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

both gray and fox can have a black appear but not from hanky panky with each other in the trees. 

Spose adoption is out of the question.?  I had no idea that grays thru red /rustic tails. Shot many of em years ago but tgat was later in the year so i spose they had grew out of it.