Jump to content
Big Dave2

Blackstone Outdoor Griddle

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, jeffeg64 said:

The blackstone griddles are carbon steel and rely on a layer of seasoning (polymerized oil) to make them rust resistant and non stick, the commercial flat tops are stainless and are run bare and scrapped clean.

I wouldn't use a grill stone on a blackstone you will remove your seasoning and your grill will rust and your food will stick.

 

Yep, sounds right. To my knowledge you should treat a carbon steel flat top the same way you would a cast iron pan. Just scrape it out if necessary, wipe down and keep it seasoned. The best thing you can do for the griddle is use it often, preferably to cook oily or greasy foods like bacon! 

 

Lots of horror stories and pictures of rusty griddles on Facebook discussion pages from people who mistreat their steel griddles. 

 

 

rusty griddle.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/11/2019 at 3:34 PM, Big Dave2 said:

The Camp Chef big stove with grill and griddle accessories was what I was about to get for the camper also but I'll give this blackstone a try.

I got a 3 burner camp chef with griddle at costco for the cabin.... Liked it so much I got one for the house.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

I got a 3 burner camp chef with griddle at costco for the cabin.... Liked it so much I got one for the house.   

 

If we hadn't parked our camper and were still travelling that is what I was eyeing up. You could cook just about anything between the 3 burners, the griddle and the grill accessory. I'm not sure how portable that unit is but if not, I would have looked at one of their other many nice units that would fold up to stow in the camper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

 

If we hadn't parked our camper and were still travelling that is what I was eyeing up. You could cook just about anything between the 3 burners, the griddle and the grill accessory. I'm not sure how portable that unit is but if not, I would have looked at one of their other many nice units that would fold up to stow in the camper.

I like it since I can cook anything outside and not smoke up the cabin.   Between that, the weber, and a sous vide in a collman cooler I have it covered.   Unless it is raining or snowing, then off to the crescent or south switch.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got one 2 weeks ago and really like it.  Just take time to properly season it before the first use.  It took me almost 2 hours slowly applying oil and wiping it down.  Needed to scrape it off when done and then wiped it down with oil and put it away.   First cook was bacon and burgers, nothing stuck and was a very easy cleanup with the rear mounted drip pan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I chose the grill for myself, I preferred the Giantex Propane Tabletop Gas Grill instead of Blackstone. By the way, he is considered the best small gas grill under $ 200. The sizes of the two grills are about the same, but the Giantex's cooking surface seemed to me of a higher quality. Is anyone use a Giantex?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blackstone grills and griddles are amazing and they worth their price.

I've bought 22" after 2-years-usage of Wolfgang Puck electric reversible grill and griddle and just regret that I didn't buy it 2 years ago. In comparisson to Blackstone, WP (Wolfgang Puck) is the worst griddle I've used. It doesn't heat evenly. The further you get from the plug, the hotter it gets. The grill lines transfer to the griddle surface, making lines in everything you cook on the thing. And the worst part of WP is grease catch. It's really hard to clean.

So, I'm really happy with my 22" now. Especially after the previous bad experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought the 36" a month or so ago. I really like it. It needs to warm up cause the garage gets very warm and smokey when cooking inside. I do need to figure out a cover cause every piece of fuzz floating around sticks to it when not in use. Cant even imagine what it will be like when the cottonwoods come to life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, snagfinder said:

I bought the 36" a month or so ago. I really like it. It needs to warm up cause the garage gets very warm and smokey when cooking inside. I do need to figure out a cover cause every piece of fuzz floating around sticks to it when not in use. Cant even imagine what it will be like when the cottonwoods come to life.

like a giant dust bunny!!!!!   🤣🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thinking of purchasing the 22" portable blackstone. Anyone have any more feedback to add to this thread? How are these units holding up if you take care of them properly?

 

I am looking something portable to use while camping, ice fishing, tail gate set up etc. to run off 1lbers. I am not looking for its preferred use to be at home but I will use it there occasionally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife keeps telling me we need one for the lake but we haven’t pulled the trigger on one yet. I think they’d be really nice for making breakfast and frying potatoes and such. I like the idea of one that is portable. A friend had a griddle and said it was great. He’d make fried rice every weekend I think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/1/2020 at 10:12 AM, rundrave said:

thinking of purchasing the 22" portable blackstone. Anyone have any more feedback to add to this thread? How are these units holding up if you take care of them properly?

 

I am looking something portable to use while camping, ice fishing, tail gate set up etc. to run off 1lbers. I am not looking for its preferred use to be at home but I will use it there occasionally.

 

You hit the nail on the head, you have to take care of it properly and keep it seasoned or it will rust rather quickly. The key is to use it often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only gripe that I have heard on the Blackstones is to stay away from the ones that have the "grease gutter" in the front versus the pan in the rear. I have a friend that bought one with the front gutter and didn't like it, so he sold it and bought the model with the single rear cutout. Mine has the grease trap in the front left corner, but is cutout with a pan and not a gutter system

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smurfy said:

All that bacon is for only 2 people?people???🤔🙄😂

 

If it's the thin stuff you get in grocery stores you need more than that for 2 people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.