• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Blackstone Outdoor Griddle

2 hours ago, jeffeg64 said:

The blackstone griddles are carbon steel and rely on a layer of seasoning (polymerized oil) to make them rust resistant and non stick, the commercial flat tops are stainless and are run bare and scrapped clean.

I wouldn't use a grill stone on a blackstone you will remove your seasoning and your grill will rust and your food will stick.

Yep, sounds right. To my knowledge you should treat a carbon steel flat top the same way you would a cast iron pan. Just scrape it out if necessary, wipe down and keep it seasoned. The best thing you can do for the griddle is use it often, preferably to cook oily or greasy foods like bacon! 

Lots of horror stories and pictures of rusty griddles on Facebook discussion pages from people who mistreat their steel griddles. 

rusty griddle.jpg

On 4/11/2019 at 3:34 PM, Big Dave2 said:

The Camp Chef big stove with grill and griddle accessories was what I was about to get for the camper also but I'll give this blackstone a try.

I got a 3 burner camp chef with griddle at costco for the cabin.... Liked it so much I got one for the house.   

3 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

I got a 3 burner camp chef with griddle at costco for the cabin.... Liked it so much I got one for the house.   

If we hadn't parked our camper and were still travelling that is what I was eyeing up. You could cook just about anything between the 3 burners, the griddle and the grill accessory. I'm not sure how portable that unit is but if not, I would have looked at one of their other many nice units that would fold up to stow in the camper.

2 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

If we hadn't parked our camper and were still travelling that is what I was eyeing up. You could cook just about anything between the 3 burners, the griddle and the grill accessory. I'm not sure how portable that unit is but if not, I would have looked at one of their other many nice units that would fold up to stow in the camper.

I like it since I can cook anything outside and not smoke up the cabin.   Between that, the weber, and a sous vide in a collman cooler I have it covered.   Unless it is raining or snowing, then off to the crescent or south switch.  

Just got one 2 weeks ago and really like it.  Just take time to properly season it before the first use.  It took me almost 2 hours slowly applying oil and wiping it down.  Needed to scrape it off when done and then wiped it down with oil and put it away.   First cook was bacon and burgers, nothing stuck and was a very easy cleanup with the rear mounted drip pan. 

When I chose the grill for myself, I preferred the Giantex Propane Tabletop Gas Grill instead of Blackstone. By the way, he is considered the best small gas grill under $ 200. The sizes of the two grills are about the same, but the Giantex's cooking surface seemed to me of a higher quality. Is anyone use a Giantex?

Blackstone grills and griddles are amazing and they worth their price.

I've bought 22" after 2-years-usage of Wolfgang Puck electric reversible grill and griddle and just regret that I didn't buy it 2 years ago. In comparisson to Blackstone, WP (Wolfgang Puck) is the worst griddle I've used. It doesn't heat evenly. The further you get from the plug, the hotter it gets. The grill lines transfer to the griddle surface, making lines in everything you cook on the thing. And the worst part of WP is grease catch. It's really hard to clean.

So, I'm really happy with my 22" now. Especially after the previous bad experience.

I bought the 36" a month or so ago. I really like it. It needs to warm up cause the garage gets very warm and smokey when cooking inside. I do need to figure out a cover cause every piece of fuzz floating around sticks to it when not in use. Cant even imagine what it will be like when the cottonwoods come to life.

2 hours ago, snagfinder said:

I bought the 36" a month or so ago. I really like it. It needs to warm up cause the garage gets very warm and smokey when cooking inside. I do need to figure out a cover cause every piece of fuzz floating around sticks to it when not in use. Cant even imagine what it will be like when the cottonwoods come to life.

like a giant dust bunny!!!!!   ??

thinking of purchasing the 22" portable blackstone. Anyone have any more feedback to add to this thread? How are these units holding up if you take care of them properly?

I am looking something portable to use while camping, ice fishing, tail gate set up etc. to run off 1lbers. I am not looking for its preferred use to be at home but I will use it there occasionally.

My wife keeps telling me we need one for the lake but we haven’t pulled the trigger on one yet. I think they’d be really nice for making breakfast and frying potatoes and such. I like the idea of one that is portable. A friend had a griddle and said it was great. He’d make fried rice every weekend I think. 

On 8/1/2020 at 10:12 AM, rundrave said:

thinking of purchasing the 22" portable blackstone. Anyone have any more feedback to add to this thread? How are these units holding up if you take care of them properly?

I am looking something portable to use while camping, ice fishing, tail gate set up etc. to run off 1lbers. I am not looking for its preferred use to be at home but I will use it there occasionally.

You hit the nail on the head, you have to take care of it properly and keep it seasoned or it will rust rather quickly. The key is to use it often.

The only gripe that I have heard on the Blackstones is to stay away from the ones that have the "grease gutter" in the front versus the pan in the rear. I have a friend that bought one with the front gutter and didn't like it, so he sold it and bought the model with the single rear cutout. Mine has the grease trap in the front left corner, but is cutout with a pan and not a gutter system

Finally picked up one yesterday. Getting it seasoned this morning  just have to figure out what to cook on it now ?

Going to try some cheese steaks tonight. Breakfast tomorrow morning and then some hibachi.

I already see myself getting the bigger unit. But this little one will be perfect for tailgate meal after a long hunt this fall and in the ice house this winter.

488D06B4-EF20-4FF8-8158-C5243B9A1415.jpeg

so first impressions of the little blackstone. I love it, I still need to pick up the bigger model.

Everything I have made on it has turned out awesome. I dont quite have eggs dialed in yet but not being able to set the temp different on each side makes it a little difficult to cook eggs and say bacon at the same time unless I just scramble them. That's about the only down fall of the 22". I do have some issues with it igniting some times but once its up and running no issues even in the wind.

45F5019E-52D5-4279-A402-0E8ABD6FFB23.jpeg

72F57014-E97D-402F-AE87-20B1BD8051FB.jpeg

Edited by rundrave