• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sell Me On A New Gas Grill

Grilling for me is a continuous season. I could never spend a lot on something that is perpetually put away and stored wet. Don't even fix them anymore. Been running Charbroil tru-infrared's with the "stainless" grates and really like their cooking action.  3 burner at home, a patio size round for camp and their cast aluminum portable unit to cover all bases. Different stores have different versions of the same grill, usually "stainless" vs porcelain coated steel grates.  

Wasn't trying but ended up with a smart grill last fall on a deep clearance deal.  Kept it dumb so far, but like the built in propane scale. The light up burner knobs also help with not forgetting about burn off after dark. 

I just bought a Louisiana pellet grill from Costco on Sunday for $599.  We were walking through Costco and the wife said why don't you get rid of the gas grill and buy this.  She even prefers cooking on, and the food flavor from our other pellet grill.  I haven't found anything better than my green egg, but for weeknight work, the pellet grill is perfect.

Louisiana Grills LG900 Pellet Grill with Flame Broiler

Features:

48,000 BTUs

180° - 600° Cooking Temperature Range

913 Sq. In. Total Cooking Area

Programmable Meat Probe Included

Cover Included

3 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

I just bought a Louisiana pellet grill from Costco on Sunday for $599.  We were walking through Costco and the wife said why don't you get rid of the gas grill and buy this.  She even prefers cooking on, and the food flavor from our other pellet grill.  I haven't found anything better than my green egg, but for weeknight work, the pellet grill is perfect.

Louisiana Grills LG900 Pellet Grill with Flame Broiler

Features:

48,000 BTUs

180° - 600° Cooking Temperature Range

913 Sq. In. Total Cooking Area

Programmable Meat Probe Included

Cover Included

I saw those at costco this last weekend but only stopped to look briefly.  i was looking more at the Louisiana smoker they had. 

17 minutes ago, nofishfisherman said:

I saw those at costco this last weekend but only stopped to look briefly.  i was looking more at the Louisiana smoker they had. 

Saw those and the ceramic.  I didn't know Louisiana made a ceramic kamado and it was only $599.

5 hours ago, nofishfisherman said:

How does the pellet grill work for smoking? 

Smoking is where a pellet grill excels. Fill it with pellets, turn it on to the desired temperature and walk away.

If I want to do a 12 hour smoke on a pork shoulder at 250 degrees is that easily doable?

Absolutely, Like I said, just turn it to the desired temp and smoke away. No worries about temp.

How low of a temp can a pellet grill be set to?  Wondering about smoking other things like fish. 

That will probably depend on the individual smoker you are using but most I have seen go down to at least 225, maybe lower.

6 hours ago, nofishfisherman said:

What brands of pellet grill should I be looking at?  Same considerations apply, I don't mind paying more upfront if I'm going to end up paying less in the long run by buying something thats going to last. 

Your mileage may vary but for me I wouldn't look at anything but a Louisiana Grill or a Pit Boss or the Cabella's unit that PF has. All 3 are made by the same company and the main reason for me is that they all have a searing feature. IMO, Pellet grills without that feature, such as Traegers are more of a smoker than a grill. Having said that though, I have not been looking at new models for a while so there might be something else out there I don't know about.

As far as how long any of these grills will last, I have no idea but it's always wise to remember that pellet grills have more moving parts than a gas grill and certainly more than a charcoal grill. 

15 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

As far as how long any of these grills will last, I have no idea but it's always wise to remember that pellet grills have more moving parts than a gas grill and certainly more than a charcoal grill. 

As soon as I looked closer at the pellet grills the first thing I noticed was the moving parts and it made me wonder how long term durability.  I am going to take a serious look at the pellet grills as well as a few gas grills and smokers to see what makes the most sense for my needs.

23 minutes ago, nofishfisherman said:

I am going to take a serious look at the pellet grills as well as a few gas grills and smokers to see what makes the most sense for my needs.

Let me know if you have any questions about pellet grills, I will try to answer them.

13 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Are they very expensive?  ?   ???

One member here they call leech believes that they are over priced. I believe they are worth the money and due to rising popularity, some models can now be had at a very reasonable price. I'm pretty sure the leech guy just doesn't understand pellet grills and has no idea what he is talking about. 

I hope this helps.

weber gas.JPG

Pit Boss 820.JPG

Edited by Big Dave2

11 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

I'm pretty sure the leech guy just doesn't understand pellet grills and has no idea what he is talking about. 

I hope this helps.

Geez, 11 hours later and it's seems like a few other members don't really understand or care either! ?

14973131.gif

Edited by leech~~

Here is my attempt.  

Gas grills are easy and convenient and they will get the job done for stuff like burger or sausage. Or steaks.   In my experience they flare up more than my Weber Kettle.  Gas grills are safer on a deck that charcoal.

Never used a pellet grill but it seems like a pellet grill has many of the advantages of a gas grill while providing smoke.  

When I had both a gas grill and a Weber kettle, used the weber most of the time.  

Mostly a matter of which one you think you will use.  

While I like the concept of the pellet grill and there may be one in my distant future I think I'm leaning toward sticking with a gas grill.  One of the bigger issues for me with the pellet grill is the need to plug it in.  My patio that is right off the kitchen is where I do my grilling and there is no outlets any where even close.  I'd have to run an extension cord to an outlet in the garage or into the sun room.  i don't want to deal with that on a daily basis.  

I've also done some reading on pros and cons and comparing pellet with gas and I think a gas grill with a separate smoker is the way to go.  I may also add a good kettle charcoal grill to the line up.  

22 minutes ago, nofishfisherman said:

While I like the concept of the pellet grill and there may be one in my distant future I think I'm leaning toward sticking with a gas grill.  One of the bigger issues for me with the pellet grill is the need to plug it in.  My patio that is right off the kitchen is where I do my grilling and there is no outlets any where even close.  I'd have to run an extension cord to an outlet in the garage or into the sun room.  i don't want to deal with that on a daily basis.  

I've also done some reading on pros and cons and comparing pellet with gas and I think a gas grill with a separate smoker is the way to go.  I may also add a good kettle charcoal grill to the line up.  

Everyone's tastes are different so maybe this won't apply to you but if I were you I would consider purchasing a Weber Kettle first because you might find that is all you need. Personally, when I bought my first charcoal grill, I tossed my old gasser out because it never got used again. Once you get used to charcoal or wood fired grilled food it makes it hard to cook on anything else, but that's just my opinion. I also never find that the start up time with charcoal is all that much different. I just got in the habit of getting charcoals started right away when I got home from work and while the coals are heating up I get all the prep work done for the meal. 

I have thought about just going with a kettle.  Normally I'd probably say dealing with the charcoal isn't a big deal but meal prep on week days at my house is usually me home alone with 2 young kids trying to get dinner prepped while simultaneously doing 50 things for the kids.  That has taken the kettle off the list for now since I don't want to add one more thing to monkey around with. 

14 minutes ago, nofishfisherman said:

I have thought about just going with a kettle.  Normally I'd probably say dealing with the charcoal isn't a big deal but meal prep on week days at my house is usually me home alone with 2 young kids trying to get dinner prepped while simultaneously doing 50 things for the kids.  That has taken the kettle off the list for now since I don't want to add one more thing to monkey around with. 

Sounds like the kitchen stove is your best bet on those kind of days.   Gas grill would be second.  And don't forget the microwave.

On 4/1/2019 at 5:33 PM, CigarGuy said:

I bought a Cabela's pellet grill a couple years ago.  I think I like it, but definitely a learning curve and I'm still learning. Smoked a turkey (first time) during one of the holidays, my wife didn't trust me and made a back up in the oven?. Mine turned out fabulous!  With that being said, I'm still not totally comfortable with it.  I need to replace my gas grill at the cabin and was debating between a pellet grill and a gas grill. I've done the $300.00 gas grills and get po'd with all the flare ups, that's why I went to the pellet grill. After a bunch of research, I just ordered a Weber 2, 310.  In the cities the sale price is $449.00+tax. I looked on eeebaay and found a new-open box for 439.00 b/o, free shipping.  Plus, they had a 10-percent off coupon. I ended up getting it for $399.11 including tax, it will be here Friday!

Got it yesterday, a day early!  It's for the cabin, so I won't be back up there for a couple weeks to assemble and try it out.

IMG_20190404_140304770.jpg