• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hunter's Edition 4x4 Truck

I wish manufacturers would offer a truck that is "hunter friendly".

1. I want a truck that has keyless entry, so if I lock my keys in or lose them in the woods it doesn't matter.

2. I want to be able to turn my headlights off when the truck is running, so I can wait for shooting light without the high beams cutting through the trees.

3.The loud DING-DING-DING when the door is opened would not be necessary because of #1. 

4. Run flat tires would be standard.

5. A handy man style jack with solid spots to jack from on the outside of the truck and 2 spares also.

6. Heated cup holder with direct wiring so when I get back to the truck after a morning sit in a cold tree, my coffee is still hot. No leaky thermos putting my coffee on my seat.

7. Winch and arm mounted to the bed to load big game with 1 hand. 

8. Matte finish camo and no chrome to reflect sunlight.

9. Remote start works from over 1 mile away, or pre heated coolant so you have heat instantly.

10. Bullet holders on the door and dash so they aren't rolling around on the floor when you need them.

11. Spot light for pre season shining, where legal. 

12. 4 wheel steering for dead end trail turnaround. 

13. Built in heated/cooled dog kennel.

One wouldn't necessarily need all of these, but to customize the package to Hunter's preference would be great. What would your hunting rig have on it to improve your success and pleasure??

Just buy whatever truck you want and get started adding after market accessories, probably cheaper than buying all that stuff standard on a niche truck that will likely be really over priced due to it being a specialty item.  Most of that list could probably be doable fairly easily.  Personally I don't think half of that list is kind of pointless though.  If your non-camo truck with reflective chrome bumpers is giving you away to the animals you might want to get a bit further away from your truck when you're hunting.  If you're really struggling with loose ammo rolling all around the floor of your truck try leaving it in the box when its not in your gun. Key less entry might be nice but if you lose your key in the woods it will just give you a place to sit while you wait for someone to give you a ride home. Can't you already turn your lights/high beams off when your truck is running?

I have a nice truck, but.... For 1 week a year there are things that I would like to change/add. Keyless start would go with keyless entry, like the new ranger boat, punch in your number and go. I can not turn off my lights on my gmc sierra. I install 12v electronics professionally but I wouldn't feel as comfortable cutting into wiring harnesses to add switches as I am tearing all wiring from a boat and doing it from scratch. I'm not trying to hide from the animals, I don't want people to know where my hunting spots are and chrome sticks out bad. I go farther and climb higher and sit longer than 95% of fellow hunters which is why I average 6.3 deer/year (legally) but people who know of my success will seek out my parking spot and return thinking that its the only good spot to hunt. Anyways... I was just trying to open up a friendly conversation about a perfect hunting rig to get people out of the political talk that HSO seems to be about. My best stand is walking distance from my house so all I need a truck for is to retrieve my bucks. Was hoping for something besides abrasive comments and criticism that seems to follow most of my posts. I'm sorry I will quietly read and keep my fingers away from the keyboard. I made it into the ALL TIME RECORD BOOK with a 172" typical public land giant when I drove a 2000 Chev Malibu 24k gold edition anyway. Thanks for reading and have a wonderful time. 20161105_202006.thumb.jpg.7edc4f16f364974ae754426087f75fe3.jpg

Sorry if I came across as a bit abrasive.  Some of us can get a little surly around here and sometimes we forget we aren't talking to one of the other surly long-timers.

I get what you're saying about a more hunting specific truck with some specific bells and whistles designed with hunters in mind.  I do think the best way to get a truck like that would be to find the base model truck you like for all of the normal stuff trucks come with and then look for some sort of after market option.  There has to be a pro or 2 out there that can take on such a project if you aren't up for tackling it yourself.  I'd be a bit nervous cutting into a new truck as well so would look to hire it out as well.

A couple things that I'd like.  A winch in the bed like you mentioned.  Could be used for loading deer, portable ice houses, or other large loads when you don't have another guy to help. Some sort of instant heat or maybe an app that could start your car from the stand. Maybe some sort of gun safe type lock box behind the seats or in the floor so that if you can keep your rifle or shotgun cased and locked up.  It could be useful for times you may want to sneak out for a hunt after work and you want a better way to secure your firearm when at work.

What year is your GMC? You can turn off all headlights and daytime running lights on almost all models of Sierra.

Also, very easy and reasonably priced options to add nearly everything you want to a truck. Very easy to install a light bar or spot light, very easy to add bullet holders, jack, extra spare tire,remote start, camo vinyl wrap, etc.

if you are gonna customize it for me I would have to have a good fishing rod tube!  built in gun locker or even bow case into the truck bed hidden, have to have the remote start through the app (it is so nice!), truck bed lights.  The other stuff mentioned would be nice also!  a good brush guard would be nice also