• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Running Carbides And Wearbars

So a few weeks back I was looking at my Carbides/ wearbars they were worn down to nothing. Only thing left were the mounting bolts to the skis. Ealier in the year I noticed they were getting worn down and as far I know those were the originals. As I’ve put almost 1k miles on the sled since we bought a few years back it was in need of replacement. I checked around with a few salvage shops but none of them had any carbides. Thing is my sled  ( Polaris touring) is a two piece wear bar. So I just bit the bullet and spent the over $50 a piece on the new carbides ( 4”). So my question is with the sledding season coming to a close would it be alight if I just ran with the little bolts studs that are left and install the new bars next fall and start fresh? Only downside I can see is it’s bit jumpy on the trail and it can get 

darty and be little to hard to turn beucase there’s nothing to really dig in on the skis. I don’t do much crossing of roads so there shouldn’t be much if any damage done to the steel skis. Thinking I should be alright but wanted to get others opinions. Thanks!

Edited by AlwaysFishing23

Good point leech about the ice patches. Last few weekends I've used the sled for fishing so I've been hauling it on my dads utility trailer. The expanded metal ramp and wood deck did a lot of the damage to the last set from loading and unloading. Thats why I was tempted to leave them as is. But I'm still up in the air if I'll take the sled or just walk the 1.5 miles each way to my fishing spot. Wait and see what this rain does I guess! I will change them out if I decide to take the sled. Besides the rough ride on the trails I haven't noticed much difference since most of my riding has been in the deep snow and on lakes.

1 hour ago, AlwaysFishing23 said:

Good point leech about the ice patches. Last few weekends I've used the sled for fishing so I've been hauling it on my dads utility trailer. The expanded metal ramp and wood deck did a lot of the damage to the last set from loading and unloading. Thats why I was tempted to leave them as is. But I'm still up in the air if I'll take the sled or just walk the 1.5 miles each way to my fishing spot. Wait and see what this rain does I guess! I will change them out if I decide to take the sled. Besides the rough ride on the trails I haven't noticed much difference since most of my riding has been in the deep snow and on lakes.

If you are using your dad's trailer very much. Bolt on two strips of plywood on the expanded metal ramps where your skis run. It may make your Dad happy you aren't beating the craap out of his ramps and save your new carbides!  ?

1 hour ago, knoppers said:

if you use the trailer much, just screw on some plastic glides, it also makes loading and unloading a snap. here is a picture of my glides on the utility trailer.

toy36.jpg

That there is a thing of Beauty! knopper. ?

Ended up taking the sled with last weekend. It came off the trailer twice and I had to trailer to ride. Did about 20 miles all weekend and a loop on the lake trail. Still had to travel a little down the road so I’m relly glad I left the old ones on. I’m done riding for the year besides maybe one more loop around the yard. I’ll stay new next fall and should be set for another 1k miles.