• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Foam Rollers

Wanderer

Has anyone here tried one?  I was just introduced to one a little over a week ago and now have one.  It took me one roll to realize they work loosening up tight muscles.

4BCF291D-DEC4-4EB0-A7E3-AE3ED6E00A4F.thumb.jpeg.bac8b4cf7e36f15f08c74d549e8b2b7b.jpeg

With only a few days experience on it I’m finding there are quite a few ways to roll on it beside just starting at the neck and rolling down to my tail bone.  Me likey.

Looks like one of them new fangled deals that I'll see in a garage sale is a few years along with Ab blasters, aerobic step, yogo mats, stair steppers, treadmills and stationary bikes! ?  But I hope it works for ya. ?

Sure, I’ll sell it to ya for a quarter after I’m done rolling myself on it every which way imaginable. ?

Original cost is $20-25 so I’m not too worried about depreciation.  Plus anything that helps get the knots and tension out of my back will be a good friend for a long time.  I like my masseuse too but at $60/hr I think our LTR is doomed.

I use a smooth 3ft roller. Chiropractor got me started using one for low back pain. There are many videos on you tube to help fix what ails you.  I had a bad knee that I couldn't fold back as far and set on my knees, butt to heels working on something like I used to. The foam roll fixed that mainly from rolling the side of my thigh above the knee joint to just below the hip joint. Really hurt the first week when I started rolling. Now it feels really good when I roll. I was thinking about getting a textured one now but glad I started with smooth.

I have fixed my back, shoulder and knee pain using the foam roller. Have a doctor check you before hand internally like with xrays so that you don't amplify a problem. My problems were from muscles where along in life I injured myself and other muscles compensated for the injury and became tight. I highly recommend them.

Edited by Grainbelt

That’s great news @Grainbelt and that kinda sums up the direction I’m hoping this takes me.

I was told on my first try that you’re supposed to keep at it till it doesn’t hurt anymore, then things will where they’re supposed to be.  I’ve made MANY visits to Chiropractors so I have a pretty good idea what’s going on when I get tight.  I’m very familiar with all my troubled spots.  

Last night I was bachin’ it and rolled on the living room floor trying a bunch of different angles.  I got one angle going that was perfectly on one of my worst knots that hardly ever gets reached.  The hurt was SO good that if my wife had the place mic’d up she would’ve heard enough to call a divorce lawyer! ?

39 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

That’s great news @Grainbelt and that kinda sums up the direction I’m hoping this takes me.

I was told on my first try that you’re supposed to keep at it till it doesn’t hurt anymore, then things will where they’re supposed to be.  I’ve made MANY visits to Chiropractors so I have a pretty good idea what’s going on when I get tight.  I’m very familiar with all my troubled spots.  

Last night I was bachin’ it and rolled on the living room floor trying a bunch of different angles.  I got one angle going that was perfectly on one of my worst knots that hardly ever gets reached.  The hurt was SO good that if my wife had the place mic’d up she would’ve heard enough to call a divorce lawyer! ?

yup been there!!!  still working on the knots but they are good today!!!

51 minutes ago, Mike89 said:

yup been there!!!  still working on the knots but they are good today!!!

Knots in your head??:P 

So seriously, you lay this on a floor and roll tight muscle areas on it??!

1 hour ago, smurfy said:

So seriously, you lay this on a floor and roll tight muscle areas on it??!

Yup.  The funniest thing I heard this week was that our daughter tried it and didn’t put her long hair up.  She rolled her hair right up in it and had to be helped out of the jam!  

I figured that one out the first time I tried rolling with a hoody on.  T shirts only now. Speaking of that, time to roll before bed.

11 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Yup.  The funniest thing I heard this week was that our daughter tried it and didn’t put her long hair up.  She rolled her hair right up in it and had to be helped out of the jam!  

I figured that one out the first time I tried rolling with a hoody on.  T shirts only now. Speaking of that, time to roll before bed.

interesting!!!!!

These have been around for a long time. If you've been in a gym lately you've probably seen them laying around. They do work very well at loosening up tight muscles.  It can be painful at first but as you work at the muscle and it begins to loosen it feels pretty good.  I have friends that are competitive marathon runners and they use them regularly to help their muscles recover after a long run.  You can use them in just about any way imaginable so you can almost always find a way to target the muscle thats giving you problems.  As far as cheap and easy remedies go this is one of the better ones if muscle tightness is your issue.  

3 hours ago, nofishfisherman said:

If you've been in a gym lately you've probably seen them laying around. 

Nope.  A gym?  Not this guy!  

The product line seemed pretty well developed when I first searched them so I guess I’m not surprised to hear they’ve been around awhile.  

2 hours ago, Duffman said:

When you see a thread on the right (Foam Rollers), and think "boat trailer thread".

Serious case of cabin fever setting in at my place.

:)

To tell you the truth. When I saw the tread on the foam roller I was wondering if you put a shaft and sprocket on it if you could make a little sled out of the darn thing? ?

43 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

To tell you the truth. When I saw the tread on the foam roller I was wondering if you put a shaft and sprocket on it if you could make a little sled out of the darn thing? ?

Or what about one of them rollers you drag over your lawn to areate it I think they are. Or a snow trail grommer you could tow behind a sled or wheeler?

Meanwhile, any opinions about the ones with various patterns vrs smooth ones?   

Also, how hard is it to roll the sides of legs etc?   Laying on your side it would seem to be hard to move on the roller.  

1 hour ago, leech~~ said:

I figured you were looking for something new to replace your shakeweight. ??

49 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

Also, how hard is it to roll the sides of legs etc?   Laying on your side it would seem to be hard to move on the roller.  

Havent tried a smooth one.  Research showed the different types could be used strictly for soothing relaxation on through to aggressive therapeutic use.  The roller I have that I posted the pic of is a medium density.  The one I tried first was firm but my buddy is a much larger and more muscular dude than I so the firm was more than I needed.  

The textured parts are intended to vary the effects of finger tips to finger pads to work the muscle in specific ways.  Smooth, softer rollers would be for relaxation.

For what it’s worth, after 4 days of use it doesn’t hurt anymore on my back.  On my legs is a different story so I obviously need to work on them more.  I’m finding sore spots I didn’t know were sore.

Edited by Wanderer

7 hours ago, delcecchi said:

I would start with a smooth 3 ft firm roller and graduate to a medium textured then to firm textured. It will be more painful to start with textured. You can lay on a 3ft head to tailbone for shoulder stretching.

Check out you tube for instructional videos for form. If you look up foam roller for lower back pain there is a good video instructed by a cute yoga spinner. 

I have been using my smooth foam roller daily to help position my body in a way that I can adjust my back myself.  just roll to loosen up the joints then get an area tight with the roller under the area and grab my neck and POP my back will snap crackle and pop like rice krispies!!  the instant relief is amazing!!  I am ordering a more aggressive roller to try also.  For personal health maintenance a foam roller is a must IMO 

I bought the more aggressive roller and it was a 24" wide roller which I didn't see when I ordered but glad I made this mistake!   I can take this roller with me anywhere including the boat when my back or legs start acting up on me.  I now take the roller with me on my trips and it is easy to pack!  Hope all worked out for you Wanderer!!