• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Saved A Snowmobiler’s Life Today

Wanderer

Gotta remind myself of that even as pay for the wrecker.

CBD7C1CC-5F1C-4F5D-B116-CD96DAA87AD1.thumb.jpeg.c05cae0540f319eb4813b71616315c36.jpeg57AE21C8-5283-47B6-8717-124B7A90E619.thumb.jpeg.711e1101d9f695b0cd1bbf80527e7d30.jpeg

My worst fear is a sledder popping out of the ditch and into the road.  This guy just drove onto the road and stopped in my lane without so much as turning his head left or right.  I still clipped his back end but he didn’t get hurt.

Not on a trail and techically trespassing by rinding in the field he came out of.  Dude did seem lost.  He did offer to help but really had nothing to offer.

I know it should go without saying but PLEASE LOOK before you come onto a road!!!

I had a friend who was sledding with his son up in Outing where the trail goes across Lawrence Lake and comes out on a road on the other side. The banks where high on both sides of the trail and when he came out on to the road some guy was flying down the road on his sled at about 60mph and they collided hitting helmet to helmet. He had to be air lifted and is now partly brain damaged.

I never trust a road crossing. ?

Theres a trail west of Brainerd Its called snoway 1 I believe 

Great trail Except one spot as you are going  threw the curves &hills you come to a gravel road ,well I presume its gravel never been there in the summer  lol of course  its groomed and as you come over a slight knob its there boom I like to ride rather hard and I was in the middle of it before I knew it 

I actually stopped and went back to see if I had missed a sign and couldnt find one 

This was years ago so maybe it is marked better now 

But when that happens you just think , wow I guess the good Lord wantedme on the earth alittle longer

Kinda slows you down for a bit !!! 

we all have been there, either making the dumb mistake, or foreseeing the mistake about to happen, and came out ok LUCKILY!!  It is amazing after things happen, to sit down, decompress, and try to gather your thoughts, on how many different ways that situation could have turned into a way worse deal!  Hopefully none of us has been part of these situations where they didn't turn out OK and not everyone made it home that night...I sure would not want to have to deal with those memories for my lifetime! Glad you are OK and the snowmobiler came out OK and hopefully learned a life lesson!!

It's one thing to get run over diesel pick up.  It's another to get run over by a diesel pick up with a snow plow on the front.

When I was about 14, some kid shot out onto the road on a four-wheeler riding a trail.  My dad missed that kid by an inch.  I don't think the kid even noticed.  But I'll never forget that, partly because my father never swears.  But he did that day.

In related/unrelated news from the twin cities campus...

My stopping power is greatly reduced by slick road conditions.  I know on a normal day, you can just jaywalk right out into the road and cars will stop.  But not today.  And put your phone down, obviously you can't cross streets and text at the same time.  Get your head in the game.

4 minutes ago, bobbymalone said:

In related/unrelated news from the twin cities campus...

My stopping power is greatly reduced by slick road conditions.  I know on a normal day, you can just jaywalk right out into the road and cars will stop.  But not today.  And put your phone down, obviously you can't cross streets and text at the same time.  Get your head in the game.

One of my pet peeves are all the people that can't do ANYTHING without either looking at their phone or without having earbuds in and music playing.  Peoples awareness to their surroundings must be at an all time low right now.  I'm surprised we don't have more of these people getting mowed down on a regular basis.  

On 2/11/2019 at 10:09 AM, ozzie said:

we all have been there, either making the dumb mistake, or foreseeing the mistake about to happen, and came out ok LUCKILY!!  It is amazing after things happen, to sit down, decompress, and try to gather your thoughts, on how many different ways that situation could have turned into a way worse deal!  

Yep, I’ve had some close calls myself by my own doing.  This was the first time I can recall being the one “in control” so to speak of the outcome for someone else to this level.  Talking with some buds today about it, there’s a ton of worse possibilities that could’ve happened and I truly believe we both got lucky Sunday.

My truck is throwing a code now that’s probably due to damage to my exhaust system.  P11 CB. Nox sensor or hole in the exhaust, most likely according to what I’ve seen so far.  We’ll see how that turns out.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Looks like I’m not the one needing the pull this time wanderer?. Very scary situation though glad to hear both you and the sledder are alright. Also glad your truck is still good to expect the exhust.As a driver and a sledder I see both ways. I watch for sleds when driving and I give vehicles on the roads respect as well while sledding.