• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

‘nother New Boat Question: Lund Or Alumacraft

Wanderer

First of I’ll say I’ve been a Lund guy for a long time.  But a guy hasta look at other options these days.

Looking at 1875 Pro Guide and Competitor 185.  Floor plans are nearly identical sans some small differences in trim.  Operationally it appears the differences would hardly be noticeable.  

The biggest deal I’m wondering about is the ride.  The Alumacraft salesman's claim is they have a drier ride by hull design.  I don’t know cuz I’ve never been in a modern Alumacraft.  

Other things to consider?  Electronics?  Rigging ease?  

The price difference would probaby get my TMs and finders on the Alumacraft for the same as a base Lund.

I know I'll hear  a lot of s------------ for this 

But the money between  glass and tin doesnt seem as far apart as it use to be 

I've only been in a prov lund once and it was on Winnie 

And if I had to fish in one of those I would never fish in more than a 5mph wind 

Smaller lakes maybe 10mph ……..just my opinion

I think alumacraft might be better they are nice looking boats 

Nah, gregg52, no s____ from me!  That glass vs tin ride has been on my mind too.  I ran a Ranger bass boat with a 150 for over a decade and that rode way better in rough water than the new 1775 Pro Guide I fished out of last year.  I was actually shocked at how hard we slammed for a boat of that weight.  I just figured that was going to be the nature of the beast if I go tin.

I looked up glass boats at Warrior dot com; both new and used.  There were some nice units for sure but I’d have to go fairly used to stay around the price point of a new tin boat.  It’s an option though.  

Been a Lund guy myself for many years as well but I've also been eyeing up the competition.  I dont know if there's any truth to this since I haven't fished with this guy, but a fella at work picked up a new Alumacraft last spring ( not sure which model) and he claims he cant shut off the back live well from filling up everytime he puts it in the water. It's a sharp looking boat, but that to me doesn't seem right..If I think of it tomorrow I'll have to ask him if hes figured out yet.

Ive owned 7 Lunds and don't see another one in the future.  Also been looking at the A-crafts.  The 205 trophy.  Have a 13' Lund Tyee 1800 now.  Good boat but its too light for big water.  Really like the fit and finish of the Aluma's.  The black windshield trim is sharp and the carpet on the top of the gunwale is also nice.  Really impressed.  Not gonna take out a mortgage to buy a glass boat either.

I think maybe Lund was too aggressive with the price increases in recent years of easy money or something.  When I bought my provee in 98, the difference between it and the comparable Alumacraft was only a few hundred bucks on a 20k package.   And the trim on the Lund looked nicer and more durable.  

Some years later and I was at a boat show or something and the prices on ProVs had gone up and the difference was much more.   

Presumably a deliberate decision to make ProV a premium product and insert a few other models  in there.