• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ford Ecoboost

I have a new to me 2013 f150 with the 3.5 ecoboost, the question I have is it seems to be fairly hard to start in the cold. It cranks over fast but on the initial startup of the day it takes a couple of seconds of cranking. Is this normal to this engine or does anyone know what might cause this. It has 70,000 miles.

Anyone else on this motor. It is just annoying the heck out of me when it sits over night it honestly cranks for about 5 seconds before it takes off. I took it back to the place I bought it and since no service engine lights are on they think nothing is wrong. It just doesn't seem right to me that a truck this new should be so hard to start.

6-7 years old and 70,000 miles has a lot of factors to consider other than the motor itself;

spark plugs, wires, fuel filter (if applicable), fuel pressure, air filter, carbon build up, etc. It's a long list, 70,000 miles is a good time for a general full tune up and then reassess the situation

I know a guy who has the same truck and dang near the some milage. It’s the same takes a few seconds seems like longer to start in the cold. Once warm it takes a few seconds to. As far as I know this is normal. My 5.3 vortec in my Silverado takes no time at all so I could imagine how annoying that may be. 

If you google the problem, you find a number of folks have it too.  

This answer seemed to be helpful..

I haven't posted before but I've spent quite a bit of time on the forum. I had the same problem that you have now. I have 17 King Ranch with 3.5. Long starts when engine is cold from the day I bought it. I found the answer on this forum and took it to the dealer. They replaced the low pressure fuel pump. It wouldn't hold pressure. It's been perfect ever since. The long starts are not normal. I hope this helps you.