• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Birds Everywhere!!!!

Hawg

23 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

Late hatch due to a cold spring?

So what's wrong with cold spring??? I do live there ya know!!🤭🤭🤪

We have some birds but not many here or at the cabin!!

Ton of orioles now, I really like those. I also have some really tiny birds around I’ve never seen before. Leech, are the ones in your picture always puffy like that? Mine are super skinny. I thought maybe baby pine Siskins but there’s too many to not be a certain bird, I’ll have to try for a picture. These are hardly bigger than a Hummer, maybe 1 1/2 the size of a hummer. All brown striped like all the other small birds, kind of appear finch-like. 

Could be but not puffy like Leech’s picture. Real skinny little things. Been too busy doing nothing to try for a picture. I’ve seen a few strange birds this year but it is juvenile season and they can be hard to tell what they are too. 

I’m not sure how many of you have seen this, and I haven’t quite figured it out, but it’s almost mine blowing how they figure this stuff out. Click the link, enter your county, and be amazed. https://dashboard.birdcast.info/?utm_source=Cornell+Lab+eNews&utm_campaign=b6e0b49189-Cornell-Lab-eNews-August-2022&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_47588b5758-b6e0b49189-345775613

41BED677-6091-4B44-B7C3-33BD0A40A77F.png

9E7EC224-9AD2-42EC-AB5A-A6F07B360B72.png

CF1DBDA9-46ED-41F2-B482-DAF7DE097610.png

A3FC4672-D010-4C55-B303-4E49FF295885.png

55A717D1-930B-421E-B709-0719F9E99E8C.png

29810420-BCCB-43CC-ACDE-1928A8EDE4A1.png

Edited by Hawg

Something interesting. I first saw this a week or two ago And at that time one of the migrating birds was Orioles. Now Orioles are no longer on the list of migrating birds and I went from a jar of grape jelly a week and a half ago to seldom seeing one anymore. Have Orioles already left? Are you guys seeing any? Seems early but it’s been a weird year. 

when the orioles first come back i have a bunch but once they start nesting they dont seem to come back, and this happens every year...........i took my oriole feeders down a long time ago!!!!!!!!

dont remember where i was driving last week but the power line was packed with birds. i thought they were purple martins at first, but pretty sure they were barn swallows!!!!!!

the hummers about all disappeared at the cabin in a w5 day span. there where still a few around, but i pulled the feeders before i left sunday. we never really did have alot of other birds all summer. 4 suet cakes would last over a month and the 3 sunflower feeders never really emptied between trips.

at home i got birds galore. most i've seen in a while. still hummingbirds around too. 

we have 4 sedium flower plants in the garden flower bed.......and they are just loaded with honeybees and yellow jackets!!!!!!!👍

starting to see some Juncos. last night 1 saw a group of 10 robins together headed south??? where they trying to tell me something???? i also have alot of finches out back, but dang they make a mess. good thing i have the basket under the feeder, half the sunflower seeds arent even opened, so..they go back in the feeder to recycle, especially at the cost of them !!!!!!!!

2 minutes ago, fishingstar said:

you did give me the idea to stock up now. were do you get yours? 

i work part time stocking shelves at the local grocery store.......Teals in cold spring. the store is supplied by nash finch and is an our family brand store!!!!!

i dont go to many different grocery stores but that is the only store i see that smart brand.  they were 2 for $5.99.  i really like the brands vinegar also. i've noticed also the orioles dont really care who makes the grape jelly!!!!!!