• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Birds Everywhere!!!!

Hawg

18 hours ago, going4it said:

The feeder action really slowed down around here. Was refilling thistle weekly now it’s been 2 weeks and only half gone. 

same here.......pretty sure there nesting. but dang i had all kinds of orioles.......i havent seen any since i got back from the cabin friday!!!!!

On 5/31/2022 at 9:16 AM, smurfy said:

same here.......pretty sure there nesting. but dang i had all kinds of orioles.......i havent seen any since i got back from the cabin friday!!!!!

Me too! Quiet. 

Ants overran me this week on the oriole feeder. A little spray of ant killer at the bottom foot of the pole seems to have stopped them. These were the little tiny ones. I’m guessing all the rain really flooded their nests. 

29 minutes ago, Hawg said:

Ants overran me this week on the oriole feeder. A little spray of ant killer at the bottom foot of the pole seems to have stopped them. These were the little tiny ones. I’m guessing all the rain really flooded their nests. 

its that time of year.......we havent had much rain here and there starting to show up here too!!!!!! i've been raging war with them gawd darn f#@$%^ boxelder bugs though!!!!!🥴

birds are slowly starting to make a return, i've actually have had robins feeding out of my big sunflower feeders lately. seen a papa cardinal feeding the youngins too!!!!!👍

I went to take my little boat out and found a wren nested in the winch tower.  Little chirps coming from inside.  Momma not happy.

Figured I’d wait a week or two since I didn’t really need it yet and they could clear out.  Then I found out wrens often nest twice per year and up till August! 🤨

Guess I’ll be disturbing them after all.

I picked this stuff up at Fleet a month or so ago when the Boxelder bugs first started coming out, and I had them all over in my house. I bet you after one spraying around the edges of the house and the door thresholds I haven’t had five bugs in my house since. My wife was killing 20 to 25 of the dam things a day crawling around the living room and bedrooms. Bad thing is I haven’t seen hardly a hummingbird since either, I’ve been told they are really susceptible to insecticides. It worked great on the ants to. 

34D0A774-DB56-4BBD-A1A3-5E5952EFE75C.jpeg

Edited by Hawg

Hawg..........i dont think its that stuff your using????? i'm no expert but i just dont see hummingbirds on or near the ground.  i have seen a few hummingbirds but not many, still think there nesting.

but yea i've been raging war on boxelder bugs for a month. i got all kinds of young ones crawling around in my granite rocks i have around my house and shed. i take a taily tour with my bug juice. getting rid of the youngins should help from them getting to be adults and laying more eggs.  

i also watch the siding, doors ect looking for where they lay there eggs......there little orange spots and wipe them out too!!!!!!

On 6/26/2022 at 8:07 AM, smurfy said:

Hawg..........i dont think its that stuff your using????? i'm no expert but i just dont see hummingbirds on or near the ground.  i have seen a few hummingbirds but not many, still think there nesting.

but yea i've been raging war on boxelder bugs for a month. i got all kinds of young ones crawling around in my granite rocks i have around my house and shed. i take a taily tour with my bug juice. getting rid of the youngins should help from them getting to be adults and laying more eggs.  

i also watch the siding, doors ect looking for where they lay there eggs......there little orange spots and wipe them out too!!!!!!

My feeders are the stick on the window kind. Since I sprayed the bottom 3 ft of the house, and the feeder pole, the HB'S disappeared too. Still a weird year!

got back yesterday from the cabin, the hummingbirds are back in full stride....other birds...........not so much!!!!!!!

same for around home.....still pretty quiet. cept i got some robins making a mess out of my sunflower feeder out front. good thing i got a screen catch for it or there'd be a lot of wasted sunflower. 

17 minutes ago, Mike89 said:

the green heron chicks are out of the nest and hunting for food on the ground now, watching 3 of them!!!   

used to see all kinds of herons when they had the rookery between cold spring and rockville!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not so mush anymore!!!!!!🙄

3 hours ago, smurfy said:

used to see all kinds of herons when they had the rookery between cold spring and rockville!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not so mush anymore!!!!!!🙄

gray or green??  never seen a huge amount of Green herons at one time...   I still think there might a 4th chick too, but can never get a good look at all of them!!!