• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Birds Everywhere!!!!

Hawg

On 4/23/2022 at 6:17 PM, Mike89 said:

finally heard some loons today that were on the big lake!!!   

just a small area of open water where the stream comes into my lake, but 2 loons already here. the pine river above the dam is loaded with loons, waiting for there lakes to open.

saw many brown creepers this weekend, its been years since I have seen them. and it is true, brown creepers move up the tree, and the nuthatches move down the tree, as they were side by side on trees.

Redpolls are still driving me nuts! My sunflower feeder holds almost 5 #’s of seeds and they empty it every other day, plus a tube feeder of safflower seeds daily! The other problem is When they attack the sunflower seeds they don’t drop the seeds over the side of the feeder and turn the thing into a big pile of mush. I hate these little F-ers! 

those redpolls must all be up by you then Hawg......i havent seen any around here in a while!!!!!1 but i didnt have that many!!!!

i know crow wing lake has an abundant supply of pelicans!!!!!!🥴🙄

Got any Purples yet? At first I thought some of these RP’s were purples but I was wrong. Purples keep me poor by devouring the safflower but only a few on the sunflower seeds. 

28 minutes ago, Hawg said:

Got any Purples yet? At first I thought some of these RP’s were purples but I was wrong. Purples keep me poor by devouring the safflower but only a few on the sunflower seeds. 

havent see any but we have seen a few yellow finches at the sunflower feeders!!!

i've heard the hummingbirds are close.....orioles should be to then. kinda tough to get fired up about those feeders with this weather we've had. i've always put the oriole and hummer feeders out around fishing opener/mothers day weekend......that is coming!!!!!!!!!

9 hours ago, Hawg said:

$32 for a bag of black sunflower seeds at Menards today!!!!

Is that good?  It seems like Fleet Farm has better prices on bird feed then Menards. 

1 minute ago, leech~~ said:

Is that good?  It seems like Fleet Farm has better prices on bird feed then Menards. 

No, it's about doubled in price .  Menards are 50 lb bags and think most of FF big bags come in 40 lb bags . Think the last bag I bought at Menards was about 20 bucks.

Yes, Fleets are 40#s, Menards are 50#s but 2 weeks ago Menards were $23. Fleet has been lower per pound than Menards most times and the difference is quite a bit when Fleet has sales on them. It’s been about 3 months since these things started to go up pretty fast. Not more than last oct/Nov Fleet had a $16.99 sale for 40#s. Another reason to get these redpolls to keep heading north. They are thinning a little but still a big feeder of seeds every couple days. 

Edited by Hawg

I should add that the seeds at Menards that were that expensive were in the garden section in the plain brown bags like you would get at a feed store, not the plastic bags you see on the shelves. Should be the same or close though I would think?

Edited by Hawg

On 5/8/2022 at 3:08 PM, fishingstar said:

It is funny what difference a day makes. Its one oriole after another today.

i hear ya!!!!!!! last 2 days birds have been crazy.......hace 6- orioles around, hummingbirds, tree swallows, even a red breasted grosbeak. think i seen a cowbird too!!!!!!!i have not heard or seen and wrens yet??????? 

On 5/12/2022 at 4:09 PM, smurfy said:

So if I'd set these up in my garden as a decoration, think it scare off the other birds??? All my feeders are pretty close to the garden!!

IMG_20220512_145455924.jpg

I put one of those a couple years back to keep the grackles out of my compost heap & the crows kept beating it's arse.

OK, looking out the window this morning. I saw a bunch of little gray birds I have never saw before fluttering from branch to branch and then they were gone. Light gray belly, darker gray top. Bigger then a humming bird but smaller then a blackcap. Any ideas?