• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Birds Everywhere!!!!

Hawg

On 1/22/2022 at 3:01 PM, going4it said:

Not the best pic but any guesses? Body and head is brown. Under wings is almost white. Looks like a black bar across the tail. B0BBBCEE-B98A-41B1-B808-B7301D481814.thumb.jpeg.96af64f83e3fd8236f30a65ebb374ae6.jpeg

Red shouldered Hawk maybe.  

2 hours ago, snagfinder said:

Unless you hunt in like 3 specific parks you dont need to apply for anything.

yep thats how i understand it too. i just secured some private land to hunt s i be getting a license this spring. still think you need to select a time frame however!!!!!!

I usually save the 5 bucks for the app. fee. But here in da murder mitten after after being locked down, every Karen & Kyle applied & this 1/2 century hunter had to buy O.T.C. for a 150 mile drive in unfamiliar surroundings on a June holiday weekend.

Never again!

On 1/25/2022 at 12:54 PM, smurfy said:

yep thats how i understand it too. i just secured some private land to hunt s i be getting a license this spring. still think you need to select a time frame however!!!!!!

Yep.  You do still need to pick a season for shotgun.  But if you don’t make it happen in your season you get that last chance later on when all open tags are valid.

I had to rely on that last season 2 years ago.

3 hours ago, bobbymalone said:

So lame.

I'll be in the Ozarks with the 12 gauge and bow hunt MN.

It’s their way of NOT letting go of their past control over dispersing the pressure.  I really don’t mind it that much.  It helps keep me focused on hunting at least a little bit instead of just keeping the shotgun by the back door for 6 weeks, ready for a yard bird.

The Ozarks hunting birds or Byrds?  Does the name Omar Navarro mean anything to ya?! 😉

1 hour ago, Wanderer said:

It’s their way of NOT letting go of their past control over dispersing the pressure.  I really don’t mind it that much.  It helps keep me focused on hunting at least a little bit instead of just keeping the shotgun by the back door for 6 weeks, ready for a yard bird.

One of the few years I hunted MN, I got set up on my opening day as a thunderstorm was coming.  Still dark and the birds were gobbling at every crack of thunder.  Pretty cool.  Then the torrential downpour started right about the same time it was light enough to see anything.  Then it proceeded to rain basically nonstop until my season was over.  And that was that.

I would be fine if the overall season was shortened but it was a free for all for those few weeks.

1 hour ago, Wanderer said:

The Ozarks hunting birds or Byrds?  Does the name Omar Navarro mean anything to ya?! 😉

Ha!  Lake of the Ozarks is the Ozarks for StL and KC people.  I will be down where people need subtitles and you can throw a rock and hit Arkansas.

The noise of the robins this morning was almost deafening!  Big, big flock.

The swans have been on the river in the small pocket of open water for a couple weeks now and geese in the past few days.  The first “duck” sighting at home this spring is tallied as a pair (drake and hen) hooded mergansers.

2 hours ago, Mike89 said:

seen a couple swans today too!!  still waiting to see some sandhill cranes!!! 

I’ve heard em around Anoka already!

Common mergs on the river now along with mor hoodeds.  Goldeneyes were in Monti awhile ago so I’m surprised I haven’t seen them here yet.

Driving north out of St. Cloud a couple days ago there were quite a few mallards cruising about.

I say it every spring: I wish they’d use this same route in the fall! 

Saw Sandhills last week, heard them way overhead before seeing them. Swans have been cruising around and in the sod fields. Saw 2 Sandhills today with several ducks in a fields puddle. Nice to hear singing again in the morning, waiting to hear my first thunder chicken while walking the dog.